Mens Hyper 26" Havoc (Updated: Review!)

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Mens Hyper 26" Havoc (Updated: Review!)

Postby Ruckis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:04 am

First off, I want to say thank you to for providing this forum for people that buy bikes they can actually afford! :D

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoc-Full-Suspension-26-Mens-Mountain-Bike/16531397

Got one a about two months ago. I plan on doing some upgrades, I already got a new saddle. Planned upgrades are new front end (new front fork, stem, etc) and front deraileur, and a disc conversion one day.
I'll be getting new tires and wheels soon, already bent the front rim.

Pics:

Review!

First off, I don't know much about bikes, the last mountain bike that I owned was a Huffy Blades. I went to Sheldon Brown's website and was intimidated by all of the information there. All I know is that I can't pay over 200 bucks for a bike. I'm not a hardcore singe track rider, I'm just a regular joe who likes riding and wanted to maybe lose some weight in the process. I needed a bike for commuting, and I wanted a full suspension bike, because I plan to do some off road riding eventually. Funny story about this bike; at first I saw the women's version of this bike and really liked it and wanted it instantly. I actually still like that frame more, the design looks better, imo. I will be buying it for my wife soon.

Okay down to the nitty gritty.I guess that this bike would fall into the All Mountain style of bike. The frame is aluminum, the suspension triangle is steel, v- brakes all around. All the basic stuff for a BB full suspension bike.

Here's the kicker: The.Frame.Is.Aluminum. Not some "alloy" aluminum. This bike is really light for a big box full suspension bike. I went to my LBS to check out the weight (not on a bike scale or anything just picked them up and felt them out) of other bikes in comparison to mine. They had two 29ers; one super light aluminum and one carbon specialized frame, also super light. This bike is not as light as either of those. But it is about a ton lighter than the Genesis 26 full suspension bike available from my local bike shop. As with most bikes built at Wal Mart, mine was not assembled with the best of care, everything needed adjustmet, the brakes were mushy, the cables needed adjustment, etc. so I had my LBS handle all of that over this past weekend. After the adjustments, this bike is actually incredibly nice! Shifting is much smoother, brakes are responsive as well. All of the working parts are bone stock. I have replaced the seat, as the original seat was uncomfortable beyond belief. I've also gotten new grips and pedals. The bike bobs like crazy at the default setting of the rear spring. With some minor adjustments, the bike rides about as close to a hardtail as I can get it, bob is nearly imperceptible. As mentioned above, this bike will be receiving a full set of upgrades, starting with the cranks, as they are a bit squeky. Next will be the front fork, headset stem and handlebars. If for no other reason than I love customizing the things I own. I'm kinda thinking of this as a 119 dollar full suspension frame.

I hope you liked the info. Have a good day!
Last edited by Ruckis on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckis

Re: Mens Hyper 26" Havoc

Postby 2wheels » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Uhhmmm... If it were mine I'd consider Avid SD-7 v-brakes paired with dual-compound or salmon Koolstop pads for the rear assuming the frame not designed for rear disc. The front end? Aside from Avid BB-7 mechanical disc (with new fork) that won't be crazy expensive, but pretty nice by most accounts, I don't have much to contribute. As far as the rest goes I'm curious to see the advice of others here who actually know stuff unlike myself. :-)
2wheels

Postby Rock N' Rolla » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:52 pm

2wheels wrote:Uhhmmm... If it were mine I'd consider Avid SD-7 v-brakes paired with dual-compound or salmon Koolstop pads for the rear assuming the frame not designed for rear disc. The front end? Aside from Avid BB-7 mechanical disc (with new fork) that won't be crazy expensive, but pretty nice by most accounts, I don't have much to contribute.

+1
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Ruckis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the recommending the upgrades. I'll be checking those parts out. I do believe that the rear can accomodate discs. Anyone have any suggestions on a front fork, or rims for that matter?
Ruckis

Re: Mens Hyper 26" Havoc (Updated: Review!)

Postby TheRedHood » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 am

first off, Im new to this whole riding thing but really enjoying every ride.OK. I have this bike, rode it pretty hard, and bent the derailleur. Would you know if theirs a certian brand or model i needa get or would any kind work?
I thought of upgrading the forks too, do you know of a good affordable brand?
TheRedHood

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:04 am

2wheels wrote:Uhhmmm... If it were mine I'd consider Avid SD-7 v-brakes paired with dual-compound or salmon Koolstop pads for the rear assuming the frame not designed for rear disc. The front end? Aside from Avid BB-7 mechanical disc (with new fork) that won't be crazy expensive, but pretty nice by most accounts, I don't have much to contribute. As far as the rest goes I'm curious to see the advice of others here who actually know stuff unlike myself. :-)

+2

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:13 am

TheRedHood wrote:first off, Im new to this whole riding thing but really enjoying every ride.OK. I have this bike, rode it pretty hard, and bent the derailleur. Would you know if theirs a certian brand or model i needa get or would any kind work?
I thought of upgrading the forks too, do you know of a good affordable brand?

Shimano Alivio (or Acera or Altus) rear derailer.

Fork

Higher level budget coil forks from least desirable to most...

RST Gila
Suntour XCT MLO
Suntour XCM HLO
Suntour XCR LO
Rockshox Dart 2 with Lockout

Budget higher level air forks in no particular order

Suntour Radion X2
Suntour Epicon
X-Fusion Enix
X-Fusion Velour

2011 models can be had for discount clearance pricing.

But Im no expert...

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby junkyarddog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 pm

I too was looking at this bike..... my local WM didn't stock it so I got the genesis V2100......castle81 had issues with the pivot bushings on his havoc, so you might want to check those on a regular basis
specialized rockhopper- $5 garage sale trail bike build
magna great divide- "frankenbike" RIP
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wife's ride
junkyarddog

Postby Ruckis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 pm

I'll be honest, if you have any plans of wanting to upgrade this bike. Skip itm The upgrade path is non existent.. It's a decent bike, but since I don't need full suspension for my commute, it's currently stored in my utilty closet. Weight not withstanding, I now believe that the V2100 is a much better bike at this price range.
Ruckis

Postby Castle81 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Could you fill in a little on why you say the upgrade path is nonexistant? I never tried with mine. I'm guessing nonstandard sizes on stuff like head & seat tube, ect?
Roadmaster Granite Peak - The experiment
Mongoose DXR 26" (steel) - Frankenzombike
Havoc FS 26" - Organ donor.
Castle81

Next

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes