*Now Triple* build thread: Blackcomb/XR250/AL Comp

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

*Now Triple* build thread: Blackcomb/XR250/AL Comp

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:35 pm

Don't want to make a thread on each, so, keeping it simple and combining them both.

Basically, I started the XR as a downhill bike, but figured the geometry just wasn't right for it. So, it's staying as a trail/commuter bike. Want to get another wheelset so I don't have to switch back and forth between the H2s and something with knobies. Anyway, I'm starting to collect some parts for it.

Parts list:
FSA Orbit Z
FSA Alpha Drive crankset
Funn EZr 160mm brakes
Shimano Deore front/rear derailleurs and shifters
Avid brak levers
Vuelta comp wheelset
Shimano SLX HG-61 9 speed cassette
Felt handlebar
130730_0000.jpg

I have a second mockup to post, but my kid decided he wanted to stop me from taking a picture of it, and got in the way. I'll post that later.

The Gila is just there for mockup. Looking to get a Raidon on order at the same 100mm length. And need to get a stem and chain on order too.

The Blackcomb stuff will be posted when I get back to VA.
Last edited by Falkon45 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falkon45

Re: Double build thread: Blackcomb/XR250

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 am

130801_0000.jpg

Here's the "better" mockup. The DNM is just there to see how the shock fits. Didn't realize I had space for a 7" without modifictions. Kinda wish I bought a longer one. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Ok. So rest of my stuff came in. The 9 speed cassette should be pretty awesome with what I'm using the bike for. I had to replace a Funn caliper, because I used one of the original set on my shocker. I also bought a bontrager seatpost clamp with bosses for a luggage rack. Should come in handy later. The SRAM grips feel amazing, and shouldn't bother me while riding. I love em. The land cruiser pedals, although heavy, make me feel far more secure (sat on the mockup). All I need now is a chain, stem, and the Raiidon, then I should be ready to tune and ride. Still waiting on the epicon rear shock to come in (bought off a chinese seller. :() the DNM didn't fit into the frame side brackets for the shock, so I'm expecting to have to do some modifying to get the epicon to fit as well. Overall, I'm pretty excited to get this thing going. Also bought some stuff to paint the frame. Gotta get to that when I get back from work.
Falkon45

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Glad to see another Blackcomb will get built up! Loving mine since I completed it, handles very well with the 6" dual crown. My local trail system has a 1 mile endure style (not an extreme DH, any bike can do, lesser bikes will have to go slow and not launch off of the jumps and berms) and I've put a lot of runs in on it.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:51 am

That's awesome Irish! I just hope mine comes out as good as yours did. The chinese seller finally shipped my shock. They didn't understand my measurements I gave them for my spacing, so I just told them to ship the shock, and I'll get the rest of the hardware myself. But, I got somme fitzik seat grip pads for free (raandomly showed up in the mail. Lol.) Don't plan on using them, but nice to have.

I plan on using my DNM shock on the blackcomb along with the USD180. Since the bike is kinda heavy, I might go with carbon fiber handlebars, but not sure if they can take the stress of DH. Plan on using the bike in VA since there aren't many hills, and no mountains in my part of GA.

Going with a 2x10 setup, so it's not a true DH bike, but I figured "ride it up, ride it down". I got an FSA afterburner crankset. Super light, and purrdee. Thinking X9 or X0 setup on it. Not sure if I wantto, due to it not going to be used much. The XR250 will get more use out of it, and it's nearly done. Stem and raidon is all that's left, then assembly. 2 weeks, and I should be riding it.
Falkon45

Postby Irishmongooserider » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 am

No go on carbon for hardcore riding (DH or Freeriding, dirtjumping, etc). The only one even remotely recommended would be the Easton Monkey Bar DH version, but you must trash them at the first deep scratch or gouge (carbon will simply snap if it's suffered damage, rather than bending).

Also, don't use the Afterburner cranks for hardcore riding either. I've got a set of those on my Tyax, and they are XC/trail cranks. Not designed to take the beating a freeride or DH bike will put them through. I'd move them to the XR-250 if you're building it as a trailbike...

I'd also hesitate about X9 or XO on the Blackcomb. Big hit bikes (Freeride & DH) have a tendency to suffer rear derailleur damage. A missed landing, or rock can destroy a rear derailleur in an instant regardless of price level. I'd go with X5 or maybe X7 tops. I personally run the new X4 in a 2x8 setup (tough and cheap to replace when damaged, no tears shed lol).
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Irishmongooserider

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks for the input, Irish. now I'm really thinking about what to do here. Think I've gotten in over my head with the DH bike. lol. Guess i better start looking up what some other riders are using.
Falkon45

Postby wicked » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 am

I have always liked the frame on the XR-250. I have been looking for one to come out on e bay or craigslist for a build of my own. Great looking bike and nice progress you have going. :)
wicked

Postby Irishmongooserider » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Thanks for the input, Irish. now I'm really thinking about what to do here. Think I've gotten in over my head with the DH bike. lol. Guess i better start looking up what some other riders are using.

Feel free to check mine out, as I've built it up as a big-hit trailbike/freeride bike with the ability to climb (2 ring crank with bashguard and the remote dropper post help) and ride a normal trail. Your focus for a bike like this is tough but reasonable in weight, not really light as that'd sacrifice the durability you need to keep the bike going without replacing parts on a regular basis.

Irishmongooserider

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks Wicked. It's coming out pretty good. I'm liking it a lot right now. Can't wait to start riding it. The Deore rear derailleur I picked up is the baseline one. It has a super long arm on it, though. That's the only thing that might worry me. Other than that, I got the 9 speed cassette on, and can't wait to start using it. I need to get the fork on order. I know I'm talking about it a lot, but I really need to.

Irish, thanks a lot, man! I emailed FSA to see what they said. I was given a few good suggestions, and told not to use the afterburners. lol. So, now I don't know what to do with these things. Everything for the XR is 3x9 to give me more range for trails and street. I could go back and get a 2 gear shifter, but then I'm left with the other crankset and 3 gear shifter. Almost makes me want to get another bike. But, for now, I'll continue with what I have planned for the Blackcomb. Still going with a 2x10 setup. But, now I can focus on what wheelset to pickup. I have a 20mm axel, and trying to figure if I want to try and mod the rear dropout for a 12mm axel, or stay with a 9mm, and attempt a freeride bike. But, with a 7in travel front fork, i'm not sure if that's smart. Now I'm all over the place with this bike..
Falkon45

Next

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes