*Now Triple* build thread: Blackcomb/XR250/AL Comp

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: *Now Triple* build thread: Blackcomb/XR250/AL Comp

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah, keep your frame. Changing your bike because of a bolt isn't the answer. Things break, even on top dollar bikes (I can go on about konas all day). A different bolt should fix your issue. Mine is simply weight. I already have a bike that weighs a ton (blackcomb) so the xr250 can be removed for something lighter. The Ali express frame I'm looking at can take my larger epicon shock (but no lockout -_-), and I can make it my downhill bike. The blackcomb will become my AM/XC tank, and that should complete my collection. If I could get a saber, the blackcomb would be the odd man out as well as the xr250, and my DH and AM/XC bikes would be the aliexpress frame and saber.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:10 am

Does anybody know how to get ahold of SRAM directly? I'm trying to contact them about this shifter and who they document for service, but there's no good way to contact them other than calling corporate.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 pm

So, I've ordered the aliexpress frame. Got it in silver and green

My bike won't look much like this, but imagine all the stuff off the blackcomb on this frame. Lol
Falkon45

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Now I am jealous :) I hope after you have received and assembled your bike that your brutal honesty will give the readers of this forum a honest perspective of how to build a bike for thousands less than most any free ride, downhill bike imaginable.There is a contributor to this forum that implied that true quality bikes could only be sourced from name brand manufacturers.As you know I have posted several times that his belief is not only untrue but unfounded and can only be attributed to the idea that the more money you spend the better the bike is philosophy.I also know that the injury you have will keep you restrained from giving a perspective of durability, but ongoing reports from time to time would be extremely helpful to debunk the myths surrounding these unfounded beliefs.
Purple Haze

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:18 am

Oh, definitely purple haze! I know exactly who you're talking about, too. It's odd, because he pulled a 180 from where he was when he first got here.

But yes, I'll give as many updates as possible. I may be on my road bike a lot more until I feel comfortable enough to get back on the trails. That, and modify some shoes to keep that injury from ever happening again.
Falkon45

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:55 am

That long pivot rocker with the short side over the shock, should make for long travel with a relatively short rear shock.. The XR-Pro and other BBB's often have near equal distance rockers... While the chainstay length also has a lot to do with the travel, those chainstays look about the same proportionately, to the better BBB's. So, is that a 150mm - 200mm travel frame?
Tomcat65

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure of the travel. It said it comes with a 190mm shock. Typically, that would equate to around 5" travel. I'm gonna try it with the stock shock, then swap it for the 200mm epicon shock I have. I'll swap between both as riding demands change.
Falkon45

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Cool, a 7 1/2" shock gets you out of that rut with the 6 1/2" (165mm) shocks on most BBB's :D
Tomcat65

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Lol. That's why I bought the frame. The biggest shock I could fit in the blackcomb was 165mm. That only got me 3” of rear travel due to the pivot design, and I ate half of it from sag due to the huge fork which only took about 10mm of sag. The blackcomb will get the wheels, front derailleur, crank and fork off the xr250. The rear derailleur, brakes, cassette of the xr250, and fork, Wheelset, crank and other bits of the blackcomb will go on the new frame. The xr250 will get odds and ends I have extra to be rebuilt as a full bike and sold.
Falkon45

Postby 6sharky9 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:15 am

Common sense is sometimes learned from the hardest of lessons but, allows one to move forward..Its never about forgetting ones roots from where they started but, the journey forward that makes it the lesson.

It "appears" to be a decent frame and, a far cry above your current choices...You should enjoy the "true designed copy" based on those over priced name brand frames...Imagine what garbage we would have without those over priced frames and the R&D they spent 10's of millions on...Certainly a step in the right direction if you're more serious about your riding...Congrats on your step forward.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

PreviousNext

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes