Mongoose Result - 26" DJ bike

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Mongoose Result - 26" DJ bike

Postby bzboarder » Tue May 20, 2014 12:25 am

I came across this Mongoose Result (R5902) on the net while trying to find a new 26" DJ bike. Does anyone have any experience with it? I couldn't find a single review of it online. Doesn't seem to be sold in any stores, just on sites like ebay and vminnovations. Says it's aluminum alloy, but I wonder... I bought the Mongoose DJ682 a while back, but took it back because it was definitely not aluminum like Mongoose claimed (that and the rear hub would slip under even the slightest incline). Just wondering if anyone has anymore info on it.
bzboarder

Re: Mongoose Result - 26" DJ bike

Postby ChiliPepper » Tue May 20, 2014 8:08 am

That's a new one I never heard of before. Not sure bro. I shred a Mongoose Ritual (street version), and it is the chromoly frame, built to take a serious beating on dirt or street.
ChiliPepper

Postby bzboarder » Thu May 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Well, I just bit the bullet and ended up ordering one. Got it for $150 w/ free shipping. I'll post a write up/review on the bike once it's all together and I've tested it.
bzboarder

Postby jonas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Does anyone have any info on this bike now? I'm very suspicious of how cheap it is, but it seems to fit my needs:
I want a cheap bike that I can do some simple street riding with during my commute to work (eg. manualing benches, 180s, jumping up/down stairs).
Not really planning on taking it to many trails, do you think this fits the bill?
jonas

Postby 6sharky9 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Found it on first google..seems to be typical BBB equipped...probably not much different than the rest of the Mongoose DJ models
http://www.homeclick.com/mongoose-r5902 ... 1770.aspx#.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby bzboarder » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Sorry I didn't post the update in good time, but here it is...

Been riding the bike around for about a month now and am really enjoying it. I had originally bought the DJ682 and didn't like it, but decided to give this one a shot and enjoy it much more. It seem to be lighter than the dj682, and actually has an alloy frame (spark tested it) though the bike itself isn't marked on the grade of steel. It's a fun bike and been riding it around the street, park and took it to the track (though I have yet to actually hit dirt jumps). It has a Zoom fork, which is just complete crap. I'm heavy (230lbs.) and the fork is completely incapable of handling my weight and bottoms out very easily. The brakes are also very bad, and probably should be the first thing one upgrades. The tires are heavy and slow rolling. Upgrades are of course going to happen, as soon as the parts start breaking. I weighed this bike using my bathroom scale (so it's not super accurate) and it came out to 30 lbs. I have a proper hanging scale coming in the mail in a few days so I will update again with an accurate scale picture. It's a pretty nice BB bike that's fun to ride and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Here are some specs (as taken by me):

Frame: Alloy frame (specific grade not marked)
Top Tube length: 21.5"
Seat tube length: 11"
Fork: Zoom 80mm Suspension Fork
Crank: 175mm, Samox cro-mo 3-piece tubular cranks
Chain ring: 32t
Freewheel: 16t, Epoch LY-1016a
Brakes: rear power linear pull brake (no front)
Wheels/tires: Mongoose WD 26" x 2.3" tires
Rims: double-wall aluminum (or other non-ferrous metal)
Pedals: poly-nylon bmx pedals
Stock weight: 30 lbs.

here's a couple pictures:
result1.jpg
Stock Bike (minus chain guard)
result1.jpg (422.93 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
Stock Bike (minus chain guard)

result2.jpg
Cleaned up (de-stickered, reflectors, kickstand and chain guard removed)
result2.jpg (471.29 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
Cleaned up (de-stickered, reflectors, kickstand and chain guard removed)

Let me know if you'd like more info!
bzboarder

Postby junkyarddog » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:37 pm

looks good!!..... alot of us on here take off the stickers,reflectors, kickstand and chain guards....
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby Robbie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Any new updates on this bike? I just ordered one from homeclick.com for 153 shipped. I'm anxious to see how it feels. The pictures posted above seem like its a pretty short frame. But for the price its a good starting platform.
Robbie

Postby JusSoSloW » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 am

It's a solid bike. I got mine on from an eBay Store that ordered it directly from Pacific Cycle for $230 shipped. I think they were cheaper on Amazon but they were out of stock and I've never heard of Homeclick so that was a no go. I trust eBay and their sellers so I paid the extra $20-$60. The first thing I noticed was that it has a different stem from the stock photo. everything else was inline. I Tightened, lubed, adjusted and removed everything to my taste and then got on a bicycle for the first time in 6 years. I used to be big into urban/freestyle bmx and was looking to get something that I wouldn't look stupid riding but I could still walk out a wheelie or hop curbs over trash cans with like back in the day. I rode it exactly 6.7 miles to my boys house on the first ride out of the box and it kicked my A$$ like a champ. Unless you are riding local city streets or ACTUALLY dirt jumping with this bike, you will need a new seat post if you are anywhere close to 5'10. It's way too short and I found more relief standing up most of the ride. I wasn't sure if I'd like the tiny sprocket. It seemed to be a lot smaller than the one's on my old Mongoose, GT, Haro or Royce Union freestyle bikes from the late 90's but it actually cranked pretty well and even with the pint-sized seat post, it still torque'd up sit-downs with no problem. The bike is pretty light and carrying it up and down my 3 flights of stairs isn't really a task. The front shock is mushy, take it how you will. The pedals actually bite into your shoes pretty well. The brake works decently when its adjusted. I rode it out of the box without messing with it and I was actually in the process of just removing it out of disgust when I gave it one more shot and took an Allen wrench to it. It stops fine and skids with some effort. Overall for the price you will not find a better 26" single speed MTN bike or BMX/Cruiser. Period. Swap the Seat if you're tall or riding distance, change the brake if you rely on them when you ride, and you have a solid performer.

BTW the seat post size is 24.5...I Just ordered a 16" Laid-back post and couldn't find the size anywhere.

JusSoSloW

Postby whipray » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 am

What is the feedback from you guys that have recently gotten this bike. How does it hold up?
Thanks!
whipray

Next

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes