Mongoose Result - 26" DJ bike

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Mongoose Result - 26" DJ bike

Postby mmurphyny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:27 am

got one for 153 on some website. the bike rides decent. brake locks the tire up easily. stem is a real turd, one bolt wont tighten so i ordered a haro lineage top load stem (which im sure is just a higher end piece of chinese made crap)from dans comp. bottom bracket is a little loose so i have a sealed one on the way. also got a 16" redline cromoly layback seatpost on amazon for 15 bucks. top tube of this bike is only 21.75 and im 6'2" 215lbs so overall this bike feels too small for me but it is a decent ride. also put on some xlc bear trap pedals and wire wheeled off the orange paint on the cranks. ill probably let my wife ride this one it fits her fine and shes 5'3" i might get myself an se big ripper if i can save up some cash.
mmurphyny

Postby firefire1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:07 pm

This bike holds up great. I ride it at Rays indoor mountain bike park in Cleveland often. You need to do a few things when building this bike out of the box. First...bearings...almost all bearings on box store bikes are over tightened when shipped. Wheel hub bearing nut on both sides need to be backed off a touch. This will contribute to wheel performance considerably and bearing life. The crank set bearing is old school. They are just wire ring and ball style. These will loosen when braking in...I backed the packing ring and nut all the way off and packed as much grease that I could into the case. Snug everything back up and hope for the best for longevity. I upgraded the neck and the handlebars. I found a really cheap deal on Ebay for some Easton parts used but in good shape and installed those. The stock neck bolts where stripped x2 so this lead me to think the need to upgrade the neck at least was essential.The seat post was replaced to an old school "lay back" style for help with longer leg riders like me...Ebay again and cheap. You cant beat this bike for the money really and they are becoming hard to find. I am 39 and weight 215 and this thing rolls great on ramps. Good luck to all....
firefire1

Postby firefire1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Ohh and the brake lever was changed out with a metal one I had laying around ...I dont trust plastic for anything but pedals.
firefire1

Postby doubledub » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Digging up an old thread, just wanted to post some additional info for anyone considering this bike.

Stem - I also had buggered threads. I chased the threads with a M7x1 tap and ran a M7x1 die down the bolts to clean everything up. Doing this carefully allowed me to put the stem cap on and it feels extremely solid. I need to torque the bolts but don't know what torque to use at this point. Just want to get everything even at this point.

Axle size - 9mm QR type fork but the axles are threaded/bolted. I needed this as I was planning to swap over a Manitou Circus fork down the road.

Hubs - 36 hole and are crap. I opened up the front and put in a ton of additional grease - it feels better when reassembled but it still feels rough when spun freely. Guess I'll have to invest in new hubs or wheelsets in the future. I'm positive that both the front and the rear are overtightened from the factory.

Let me know if there is any other info anyone wants to know and I'll measure it / check it out. I bought this as a beginner DJ bike and first impressions are - it's a good bang for the buck for my purposes. Even the plastic brake lever feels solid, although I don't know if it would survive a rough fall.
doubledub

Postby doubledub » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Oh, and the brake pads that come with this bike are crap. I wore them out completely in a single day at the bike trails. I would throw them away immediately and replace them with a decent set if you buy this bike. It got a bit risky after a bit when the brakes stopped working...
doubledub

Postby BIGDCYCLES » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:52 am

Anyone else have one of these yet? Looking at dj and urban bikes and this is on my list.
Mongoose Deception 29er, Triace AL 2.1 26", Vintage SS Conversion 27", Schwinn Criss Cross Mixte 26", Mongoose X-COM 700c (Project Xtreme Commuter)
BMX: 1998 Royce Union Vert X, 2000 Mosh Method, 2006 Redline Romp, 2007 Diamondback Joker
BIGDCYCLES

Postby doubledub » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Manitou circus fork installed. Needed a new star nut with it.
Ordered a new front wheel as the manitou has a 20mm thru axle, went with a Chain Reaction custom built.
Rear hub is bmx 110mm width. The whole back end seems to be lifted from Bmx. Sucks as the rear wheel will need to be custom built 26" mtb rim brake setup with bmx single speed hub if I ever need it.
The bottom bracket appears to be American bmx size (51mm) and will be swapped with a sealed bb soon. Need to measure the crank (forgot).
Going to get a new stem, bars (40mm instead of the stock 20mm) and grips as well.

After doing everything, I probably should have just bought a Haro Steel Reserve or Specialized P.26. Would be worth it to ditch the rim brake. Wondering if I can manufacture a rear brake hanger and spread the frame for a 135mm hub with disc.

But it is a fun little ripper.
doubledub

Postby bzboarder » Fri May 06, 2016 10:54 pm

Has anyone else changed out the fork? I was going to, but didn't know what to get. I was looking at the manitou circus as well, they're just a little out of my price range right now.
bzboarder

Previous

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes