Juiceboxx00's V2100 Build

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Juiceboxx00's V2100 Build

Postby juiceboxx00 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Hello, everyone! Let me start by introducing myself. I'm Juiceboxx and this will be my build thread for my newly purchased V2100. I've been hanging out in the shadows for a week or so and I figured it was time to start participating. A little background: I'm new to the cycling scene. I'm 26 years old and getting a little thick in my mid section so i pulled the trigger on the V2100 at my local Wally World. I live very close to the Appalachian and Creeper Trails, so that is where most of my riding will be done. Not very intense off road trails but more of a conservative riding atmosphere. I live in VERY rural area so biking will not be a way to commute to here nor there.

I've rode the bike for about 10 miles altogether and I've already noticed a few things. First, the stock pedals are AWFUL! I can't keep my feet on them. So I would love any suggestions for replacements. (Side note: my budget for replacement parts will be very TIGHT to MODERATE) Along with the pedals I keep "bottoming out" the front fork. I'm a heavy guy, 270lbs, and It seems like the fork can't support me? So that will also be on my immediate replace list. Lastly, the saddle is just terrible for my big ole butt! I've gotten used to it but will be looking for a more comfortable replacement as well. In my limited riding time these are the only complaints I have so far. I'm sure I'll find more down the road.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into this bike. But, I never knew just how many aftermarket parts you can buy for these things! I look forward to tracking my progress and meeting new people and learning lots of new things. I'll have to post a picture of my green machine later. In the meantime, just imagine a de-stickered green V2100 lol!

I'd like to say thank you in advance for advice or kind words from the members. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum!
juiceboxx00

Re: Juiceboxx00's V2100 Build

Postby juiceboxx00 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:28 am

Here's a picture of the bike as of today.

I'm trying to prioritize my upgrades. I think that my first purchase will definitely have to be pedals.

Edit: Just realized the picture is a little off whack. Not sure why..?
juiceboxx00

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:46 am

Welcome to the forum. You're a big dude for an FS 26er. Did you consider any of the HT 29ers? Mongoose makes some 27.5" bikes too. You can still change your mind.

If you stick with the V2100, I look forward to seeing your build.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby juiceboxx00 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:13 am

JazzOne wrote:Welcome to the forum. You're a big dude for an FS 26er. Did you consider any of the HT 29ers? Mongoose makes some 27.5" bikes too. You can still change your mind.

That is one thing I was worried about. I didn't know if the stress to the frame/tires would be to high. In the last two years my weight has fluctuated anywhere from 220lbs-275lbs. My original goal in purchasing the bike was to get in better shape and shed some pounds. Hopefully, in doing that, my size won't be that big a factor.
juiceboxx00

Postby junkyarddog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 am

hello fellow V2100 owner!! pedals and the seat are the biggest complaint about these bikes......ebay , amazon.com, and several online bike shop sites are good places to look.....for pedals on mine I picked up some alloy pedals from amazon.com for under $20. I went with a bell gel saddle .....I also changed out the grips too....finding a better fork is easy if you search around... 1 1/8" forks are easy to find deals on.... I weigh almost as much as you do and and my V2100 has held up just fine
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 am

juiceboxx00 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Welcome to the forum. You're a big dude for an FS 26er. Did you consider any of the HT 29ers? Mongoose makes some 27.5" bikes too. You can still change your mind.

That is one thing I was worried about. I didn't know if the stress to the frame/tires would be to high. In the last two years my weight has fluctuated anywhere from 220lbs-275lbs. My original goal in purchasing the bike was to get in better shape and shed some pounds. Hopefully, in doing that, my size won't be that big a factor.

I don't have any personal experience with the Genesis. I just wanted to make sure you had considered all your options since BB stores have good return policies.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby juiceboxx00 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:46 am

junkyarddog wrote:hello fellow V2100 owner!! pedals and the seat are the biggest complaint about these bikes......ebay , amazon.com, and several online bike shop sites are good places to look.....for pedals on mine I picked up some alloy pedals from amazon.com for under $20. I went with a bell gel saddle .....I also changed out the grips too....finding a better fork is easy if you search around... 1 1/8" forks are easy to find deals on.... I weigh almost as much as you do and and my V2100 has held up just fine

I've been creeping around on amazon and ebay for pedals. Let me ask you this, are all pedals a standard size? As far as installing them on a bike? I realize the actual surface area will vary. I'll probably end up using amazon to take advantage of my prime shipping. Although, the knockoff Wellgo MG-1's on ebay are tempting for the price lol. As of now I like the grips. Maybe with more frequent use they may need replacing, but for now I'll keep them.
juiceboxx00

Postby junkyarddog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:19 pm

you will find 1/2" and 9/16" as part of the specs....you want the 9/16"... these are what I ordered for my bike
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BV ... UTF8&psc=1
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby juiceboxx00 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:55 am

junkyarddog wrote:you will find 1/2" and 9/16" as part of the specs....you want the 9/16"... these are what I ordered for my bike
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BV ... UTF8&psc=1

Let me ask you this..are most pedals going to be the same width? I've noticed that not only are the stock pedals not grippy enough but I would prefer them to be wider as well.
juiceboxx00

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 am

Usually the bmx platform style pedals are wide...not all are the same.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Next

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes