V2100 Build in Progress

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

V2100 Build in Progress

Postby dzaccord » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 am

Hey to all,

I'm new to the forum and to mountain bikes in general. My wife and I purchased our son a bike and then she wanted one and I figured I'd get one as well. I was looking at some higher priced bikes and came across the forum and found that the V2100 was a good platform to use. I found an inexpensive black and blue one. I researched for a few days and started my build. So far these parts have been ordered:

ROCK SHOX XC/32/TK Fork (ebay new old stock)
DNM Mountain Bike Air Rear Shock (Amazon)
Weinmann XM25 Wheelset (ebay new take offs)
New A2Z DM-UNI Disc brake adapter (ebay)
Shimano UN55 BB Square 68x118 (Amazon)
Shimano Brake Cable and Housing Set (Amazon)
SRAM S600 Crankset - 3 x 8-speed (Amazon)
SRAM PG820 Bicycle 8 Speed Cassette
BIANCHI LOCKING FOAM GRIPS W/ CLAMPS (Blue Sky Cycling)
FUNN EZR MECHANICAL DISC BRAKE W/ ROTOR (REAR 180MM) (Blue Sky Cycling)
FUNN EZR MECHANICAL DISC BRAKE W/ ROTOR (FRONT 160MM) (Blue Sky Cycling)
KENDA JOHN TOMAC BLUE GROOVE STICK-E TIRE (26 X 2.1 STICK-E )
Sunlite Standard Schrader Valve Tubes (Amazon)
XLC Alloy Pedals (Amazon)

There have been some very nice V2100 builds on the forum that I have taken ideas from. Thanks to all for posting pics and parts. I have a few questions before I begin installing the parts because I feel I need a few more things to complete the build. After reading I see that it's better to have the 180mm breaks up front. Can the brakes I ordered be interchanged front to back, I'm assuming the disc can? If so what adapter would I need to run the 180mm disc up front? I'm also assuming also from pics and looking at the A2Z Uni adapter, that no matter if I run the 160 or 180 setup, I'm going to need an adapter to attach the rear. If I can interchange the 180mm disc from the back to the front what adapter would be needed to use the Funn EZR 160mm in the rear? I see there are different adapters and I want to order the right one.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll keep all updated on the build.
dzaccord

Re: V2100 Build in Progress

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:53 am

Here's the breakdown for IS adapters. 160f=140r 180f=160r 200/205f=180r. Okay, hopefully, that's not too confusing. Problem you have, is the rockshox is post mount. You can bolt up your front Caliper without and adapter and fit a 160. To fit the 180,you will need a 20mm pay mount adapter. Problem for the rear, you now need a new adapter to fit the rear 160 rotor,as one is too big, and the other is too small.

You may end up needing to order two more adapters.
Falkon45

Postby dzaccord » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Here's the breakdown for IS adapters. 160f=140r 180f=160r 200/205f=180r. Okay, hopefully, that's not too confusing. Problem you have, is the rockshox is post mount. You can bolt up your front Caliper without and adapter and fit a 160. To fit the 180,you will need a 20mm pay mount adapter. Problem for the rear, you now need a new adapter to fit the rear 160 rotor,as one is too big, and the other is too small.

You may end up needing to order two more adapters.

Thanks for the help. I GREATLY appreciate it. If it's not to much could you post a link or links to where I may find the adapters that I need for front and rear. Since I have the Funn break setup I'll just use the 180f and 160r. I was on amazon and found quite a few but didn't know which would work in my case. I appreciate the help again.

Would this adapter work for both front and rear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Avid-20mm-IS-Disc-Brake-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter-160mm-Rear-180mm-Front-/301664458660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463c9a57a4
dzaccord

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Hayes/H ... aQodm0MA1g

Something like this is what you need for the front. The one you posted for the rear is perfect.

No problem with helping. As soon as I saw your brake setup you bought, I figured something would be amiss. Thankfully, the brakes are items I like to dabble in.
Falkon45

Postby dzaccord » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:38 pm

Falkon45 wrote:http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Hayes/Hayes-Disc-Brake-Adapter-Post-Mount-Forks.axd?gclid=CP6M2rn3ocYCFQYuaQodm0MA1g

Something like this is what you need for the front. The one you posted for the rear is perfect.

No problem with helping. As soon as I saw your brake setup you bought, I figured something would be amiss. Thankfully, the brakes are items I like to dabble in.

Thanks!! I'll order these tonight then. Just to double check I'll need the pricepoint adapter in 8 inch to run the 8 inch disc upfront. Just wanting to cover all my bases. I appreciate the help again and the quick responses.
dzaccord

Postby wicked » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:57 pm

The EZR brakes will come with the respected adapter attached. One will have a 160mm IS adapter attached to the caliper, the other with the IS 180mm. You will only need to purchase one PM mount for the fork. Don' worry about the rear one.
Note: 8 inch is for 203mm rotor.
7 inch is the 180mm. Don't get the 8 inch. The size is 7A if ordering from Pricepoint. I have sent you an e-mail regarding the fork in question :(
wicked

Postby dzaccord » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:31 am

Thanks wicked and Falcon45 for the assistance. I'll get the right pars ordered for the build. I reread both comments and now understand a bit more about the sizing. Thanks again.
dzaccord

Postby dzaccord » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks for the help and assistance to all. I was finally able to get all the parts installed. Here's a quick pic:

The bike rides good but needs some tuning in the gears, fork and shock. My wife and I went on a quick ride and after coming home I noticed that one of the brackets that connects the rear shock to the frame had cracked... Any ideas of where to buy a replacement or upgrade of the brackets?
dzaccord

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Did you get a 6.5" eye to eye rear shock?...it looks to be pretty long...could be part of the problem as leverage put too much stress on the bracket.

If the bracket cracked where the bottom portion of the shock mounts to the frame. you will have to get something fabricated and re welded, other wise you may as well find another frame.

The paint in that area will have to be taken off and the aluminum ground a little to re weld anything and its probably gonna be about 30 40 dollars just for the weld...not to mention what someone wants to fabricate a new bracket...Those arent a replaceable item as far as just buying one.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby dzaccord » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 am

6sharky9 wrote:Did you get a 6.5" eye to eye rear shock?...it looks to be pretty long...could be part of the problem as leverage put too much stress on the bracket.

If the bracket cracked where the bottom portion of the shock mounts to the frame. you will have to get something fabricated and re welded, other wise you may as well find another frame.

The paint in that area will have to be taken off and the aluminum ground a little to re weld anything and its probably gonna be about 30 40 dollars just for the weld...not to mention what someone wants to fabricate a new bracket...Those arent a replaceable item as far as just buying one.

The part that cracked was one of the 2 pieces at the top of the rear shock, I didn't mention that part. I went back to look at the specs of the shock and the page has been updated with more detailed info. When I ordered the shock it was advertised as a 6.5" shock but since the page was updated I now see that it's a 7.87" eye to eye shock with 50mm of travel. I didn't notice the amount of difference when I had installed the shock however.

I've processed the replacement of this part and have ordered the correct shock.
dzaccord

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes