New bike, <$200

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: New bike, <$200

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:22 am

I agree with 6sharky9! My stat (older version 1) kinda forced me to do a frame up build, but the 4.2 had all those issues solved. And the 8 speed rear makes it that much better. And trust me, it's not too big for you.
Falkon45

Postby 6sharky9 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:22 pm

2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby 6sharky9 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:53 pm

If your heart is really set on a 26" hardtail then you wont do better than this...Of course youll need a few more dollars but shipping is free and you dont really need to upgrade much of anything if you didnt want to....My 550HT is essentially the same bike but with hydraulic brakes...All the rest of the parts are the same and are 100 percent reliable... http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... ew_xii.htm
6sharky9

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes, this is the bike I'd go for. At $219 you can ride it as it comes (checking the lubrications) and upgrade things as you want.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby nonoitall » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks guys! How is the Stat as far as the extra weight goes? I notice "shipping weight" is about 10 more lbs. than most 26ers. Not sure how that translates into actual bike weight. Kind of a subjective question, but is it 'heavy'?

Also was wondering how Walmart's return policy is if I were to just have it shipped to me and test drive it after it gets to me? I just ask because we live in the middle of nowhere and our closest Walmart (100 miles away) doesn't currently have it in stock. Not sure how much of a feel for the bike I could get before buying it even if they did have it in stock, but if I can test it out and be assured that I can return it fairly painlessly if it doesn't work out for me, I'll pull the trigger on that sucker tonight! Weirdly enough, having it shipped to my house would be several days quicker than getting it sent to my closest store for pickup anyway. Would there be any foreseeable problems if I ordered it online, assembled it, tried it out and decided to return it to my closest store? (That being on the off-chance that I didn't like it, of course.)

Falkon45 wrote:And the 8 speed rear makes it that much better.

Is Walmart's listing on the bike as being 21-speed in error? (Assuming 3 front/7 rear.) Not a big deal for me either way, just curious.

6sharky9 wrote:I recall a Mongoose Seek'r 27.5 model being sold but, you may need to ask your store about it..I dont see it on the walmart site anymore.

Is this it? How does it stack up against the Stat?
nonoitall

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:36 am

Yes. Walmart just used the description of the original stat on the 4.2. There is someone on here who had one in the 29er section with his build thread. Check it out. . Also, never count the shipping weight. They're all wrong.
Falkon45

Postby nonoitall » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Good to know, thanks. Anyone have any insight on Walmart's return policy for shipping/assembling a bike like this? Or any thoughts on the Seek'r?
nonoitall

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 am

Not sure on the return policy from shipping...In store purchase returns are pretty kick azz though....buy it..ride it for a week , if you dont like it return no questions asked pretty much.

Considering youre going to assemble the bike, the only reason you would want to return it is if it had scratches on it or something like that...In general most tend to make upgrades anyway...so if the stock derailleur doesnt work right ,you just make it right or replace it with better...The time to go through warranty and shipping over a part you would probably replace anyway isnt worth the time.

The Mongoose Seek'r was the first 27.5 by mongoose to hit the floor..What makes it a good candidate is the frame and the fact it has rear disc brakes among other key items like a 1-1/8 stem etc....A good candidate for upgrades in general.

In short, 27.5 is pretty much the middle of the road on wheel size..Youll get the benefits of the larger wheels but not lose as much agility as you might with a 29er but roll better than a 26er but not a 29er...lol...Im looking at a 27.5 motobecane myself as a next purchase up from my 26er.

Either the stat 4.2 or the seeker are pretty nice platforms to start with.
6sharky9

Postby nonoitall » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Well I gave it some thought for a few days and think I'll go with the Seek'r. That one I linked to at Walmart is it, right? (There's no special 4.2 model or something I should be looking for?)
nonoitall

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:39 pm

nonoitall wrote:Well I gave it some thought for a few days and think I'll go with the Seek'r. That one I linked to at Walmart is it, right? (There's no special 4.2 model or something I should be looking for?)

There is only one Seek'r from mongoose...The link is correct.
6sharky9

PreviousNext

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes