Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm hoping here at the end of bike season I can retire my V2100 and turn it into a spare bike with spare cash once I get my new one. So I have already ordered a 1200 lb shock (oil filled, not air) and have some cheap bar ends on the end to give me a better sitting position. I need a new bottom bracket and crank set. Any ideas from you guys?

Posting pictures in a few.
Last edited by Killgore on Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Killgore

Re: Genesis V2100 Build - Spare Bike

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:33 pm

I am a big big fan of FSA. Currently, all but one of my bikes has an FSA set of some sort. If you want to go 2x whatever, the FSA comet is a good set to get. Good weight and strength, but you might have to fiddle with finding the correct gear set you may want. I think mine is a 42/27. It took me a while to find that, because I wanted something bigger than the 40/24 I have on my afterburner set on the aluminum comp. These can be found in 3 ring also, if you want to stay with that. Honestly, anything is better than the stock crankset, I'm sad to say. Even the random Lasco set that shows up on ebay for $12 would trump them. But, I do suggest something with external bearings. Yes, this does yet another special tool, but that one tool works for just about all external bearing systems. Shimano offers some decent sets, as well as SRAM. But, again, I favor FSA more.

That shock may be a bit much. I'm not sure if you'll like the 1200 lbs spring. But, I think the stock spring on the v2100 was 800 lbs, so if that wasn't stiff enough for you, you might like it. I take it, that that shock has rebound adjustment. Make sure you set it to you're liking, or you wasted money on that shock. That thing aint there for show.
Falkon45

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I blew out the top of my factory shock. I'm definitely on the heavier side of things, and my spring needs to be heavier.\

Bent the stock crank on one arm, destroyed the factory BB as well. So this thing is getting hung in the shed for a little bit while I find parts to order.
Killgore

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Killgore wrote:I blew out the top of my factory shock. I'm definitely on the heavier side of things, and my spring needs to be heavier.\

Bent the stock crank on one arm, destroyed the factory BB as well. So this thing is getting hung in the shed for a little bit while I find parts to order.

Seems youre destroying the parts most of us change out...lol....now you see why.

Depends really on your budget as to what you can get..Im a shimano fan myself when it comes to crank sets...As falkon mentioned , the stock cranks flat out suck so pretty much anything is better...i am surprised you bent a crank arm though...Usually the bottom brackets are what sucks on them as far as reliability is concerned...First ive heard of someone bending an arm on a bbb crank on here.

Good luck on your upgrades.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:01 pm

Well to keep 270 lbs of me (not including the damn near 40 this bike weighs) at an average speed of 12.5 mph for an hour, every day, 6 days a week, things get thrashed hard and quick. Even on light trails.

I'd like to keep the crankset less than $20-$30 not including shipping. My front derailleur has never worked, so as long as something lines up and lets me use my rear derailleur, im set.
Killgore

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:37 am

You will be hard pressed to get something in that range unless maybe used...35 to 45 range will get you a decent crank...Dont forget to include some funds for a bottom bracket as well...and if you dont have the proper tools youll need those...so it may not be as cheap as you think to replace it for the first time.

You can get a suntour xcm crank for less than $40 dollar range. This has the octalink option instead of the square taper. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271914115550?nav=SEARCH

Figure on 15 to 20 dollars for a bottom bracket...you can use the Shimano ES25 series in the correct size, which someone else will have to help you on with that.
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:48 am

So here is my current upgrade that I have done (other than throwing on a set of $20 amazon pedals that were actually made of metal...).

It is a R.I.D. handlebar that I picked up for about $8 bucks at my bike shop (someone changed it for an aluminum one), and a set of bar ends. Made riding so much more comfortable and was able to spread myself out. I am now looking into getting an adjustable (read longer) stem and the bottom bracket and crankset.

Killgore

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:45 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Triple- ... 43df0aa935

Used, slight upgrades, with BB $29.99 plus 9.99 shipping.

Also, found a Stem raiser for 1 1/8th threadless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XLC-Alloy-A-Hea ... 33a016e040

What's your budget for this bike. It seems you're not quite enthused enough to spend money on it... either that, or you haven't quite done your research. Remember, we're still on the low end of cycles. There are some out there that could buy you a decent used car for the same price. IF you want us to find these items for you, for the prices you're looking for, expect a lot of used, new take off, and possibly new old stock parts. But, please don't ask us to do all the footwork for you. Sharky and I are chiming in a lot, but it'll probably stop pretty soon if you gripe about the price for things WE are picking out for you, that YOU are asking about without full detail.
Falkon45

Postby Killgore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:49 pm

I am confused on how all the dimensions work to look for things on bikes. I have lots of mechanical ability, i just am lost with a whole new thing.I get a bottom bracket needs to be 68x118, but I don't understand what attaches to that bottom bracket if that makes any sense.

I am not completely enthused about spending money on the bike. With that being said, it will be until December-January until I can upgrade to the Giant Escape 2. I wanted to be able to ride this bike until I had a gym again, but it didn't make it that long. Haven't tried to be bitching, I wasn't completely clear with what I wanted.

Crankset - I would like to spend around $30 on it. Would the previous crankset mentioned: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271914115550 fit on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DT ... ailpages01

I had to replace the handlebars because my fat ass bent those while riding too XD.
Killgore

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:31 pm

The suntour crank you put up a link to uses an octalink style bottom bracket which i showed you because they tend to be stronger than a square taper and last longer...The shimano bottom bracket you listed will not work with it as its a square taper design like your stock crank set up is....Search "Shimano ES25"and find your 68x118 bottom bracket size you need.
6sharky9

Next

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes