Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Genesis V2100 Build - Spare Bike

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 pm

2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:50 pm

The handlebars are understandable. Odd that the steel units are so weak. And I understand what it's like to be lost at bikes. Believe me, I didn't find this place until after I finished my first build. Lots of time on the net trying to figure things out, and research, and measuring. But, please remember, you won't learn a lot if we're giving you all the answers. I will say $40-60 will buy you a great crankset, complete with BB. There are certain things you can cheap out on (seat post, grips, cables and shroud), but sometimes, it pays more to be "cost effective" rather than... Frugal. Lol. So, I take it, your looking for dependability with this build. This can be cost effective, and with minimal parts. You already sorted out the shock, and pedals. I would say for you to get a new stem, but the steel one will be just fine. I cheaped out on a stem, once. Didn't make it a quarter way through my first street ride. Had to buy a new one at the bike shop that I happened to be passing by. I got lucky.

But yeah, set yourself a budget, and a plan for the bike. If longevity is the main focus, you're golden so far.
Falkon45

Postby Killgore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Just because I am trying to learn, what does the 170 or 175 mean by a crankset name. Example: I found this: http://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-Cranks ... untour+XCM and this: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BB-ES25-O ... imano+Es25 I think they work together, but I really am new to this and am having a hard time telling.

EDIT: There were two posts at once while I was typing this. I think they work together now!
Killgore

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Crank arms come in different lengths. Ranging from 160mm to 180mm IIRC. 170 and 175 are crank arm lengths. The links you've posted do, in fact, work together. Octalink is the type of spindle. Square taper are exactly that. Square and tapered. Octalink is splined, like in the pictures. You can always tell what works with what by matching the holes in the crankset with the spindles on the BB.
Falkon45

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Those parts look good from my house...About as low budget as you can get but certainly upgrades non the less.

Good to see youre finding parts even cheaper cost wise...Takes a bit of research but it pays off nicely at any level of upgrades.
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Alright thanks guys, parts are on their way and will be installed once they get here. I will have a picture of how the bike sits here soon. I will be trying to swap out the front for a rim-grip style brake and cleaning and greasing everything in this downtime.
Killgore

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Killgore wrote:Alright thanks guys, parts are on their way and will be installed once they get here. I will have a picture of how the bike sits here soon. I will be trying to swap out the front for a rim-grip style brake and cleaning and greasing everything in this downtime.

You dont like the front disc brake?
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:49 pm

I don't think the wheel or the rotor is true, so it makes a bunch of noise. It doesn't grip as firmly as the rear one does. Could be a tuning issue, or could be an issue with disc brakes at this price point.
Killgore

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Killgore wrote:I don't think the wheel or the rotor is true, so it makes a bunch of noise. It doesn't grip as firmly as the rear one does. Could be a tuning issue, or could be an issue with disc brakes at this price point.

Well its pretty easy to determine if its a wheel or something else..look into it and let us know.

Rotors are pretty cheap if its that...if its a wheel then maybe a bike shop will true it for you.

If its a brake alignment issue thats an easy fix as well.

Loosen the caliper so it wiggles around and pull on the brake handle...Tighten the bots then release the handle...This should pretty much line the caliper up correctly.
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Brake still making the dragging sound whenever I pedal. But oh well, just annoying.

New spring going on: Image
Killgore

PreviousNext

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes