Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Genesis V2100 Build - Spare Bike

Postby bojan v » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm 270 and was abusing my v2600 for about a month worst that happened bent rear shock destroyed freewheel bent front derailleur. I don't think the frame can just snap off it will bend first or Crack on the welds.
bojan v

Re: Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 am

Im pretty sure these bikes have weight limits and most of the models have them posted...im pretty sure the maximum weight limits ive seen for a bbb is 250lbs and, this is with most any bike no matter who made it....These bbb models are sold with the intentions of light duty use on basic family trails or for kids riding around in the neighborhood.

Considering some use them in a more aggressive manner doesnt mean they are built as strong as the name brand models sold in most local bike shops and dont let anyone convince you they are...They are proving to not to just break on people on more aggressive trail riding but that doesnt mean you shoudnt hold some caution as you are over the recommended weight limit for most any bike for that matter.

It doesnt sound like you ride aggressive at all so the best you can hope for is that it doesnt fail on you..right now the really weak link on your bike is the rear suspension assembly..when those cheap bushing start to wear (which may already be the case), they create play and loads are placed on it in ways they shouldnt be, then you may have a problem with something snapping or cracking or bending on the rear of the bike...some on here have had where the shock mounts to the frame crack already after changing the rear shock out to a better one..perhaps one that was maybe too long creating more leverage than was intended but, in anycase it cracked.

Just be cautious with any bike for that matter..Dont let it keep you from riding it and continue on your journey..Worse case scenario is all the parts you are upgrading will swap over to something else better when you get ready to move on.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:07 pm

The wheels are the first casualty of large people riding them and should be the first consideration of improvement.Most big box bikes have single walled rims and even double walled rims that are ultra lite are suspect when overly stressed.
Purple Haze

Postby bojan v » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm

The v2600 had triple walled rims but the bearings in the went out and the freewheel on mine
bojan v

Postby Killgore » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:14 am

Well I will go to inspecting the frame to make sure there are no cracks anywhere. Yes I know I am on the heavier side, but I am down, and that is important! I'll be down under 250 by the end of the summer so soon the weight ratings will no longer matter right? Ha. Anyways, i will be inspecting the frame for cracks today and going over it with a fine tooth comb all over the welds. So on a positive note, here is a picture of the Lotus after I blew out an inner tube because I didn't realize the cords were showing from the tire and it rubbed itself against the inner tube.

Killgore

Postby Killgore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Well the lotus is currently wearing Genesis tires. The front tire pulled hard and would bounce around. The rear one's cords would rub hard against the inner tubes. Well great. I found a crack around the base of the rear shock mount on the frame. So I am unsure of what I am going to do with it now.
Killgore

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:21 pm

I have some bad news. I took the frame to the NDT lab at my college (my friend needed to bring something in to examine the welds to pass his final for the class, and I have something that needed to be examined). I had started to see some cracking around the spring mounts on the outer layer of the weld, but the inner layers are coming apart and quick. So i have two options, have the frame rewelded or scrap the frame, keep the spare parts off of it, and just ride the shit out of the Lotus (that has been doing great btw, 250 miles on it so far and hasn't missed a beat).
Killgore

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Scrap the frame. You can find them for cheap everywhere. That's the great things about these. You can get the same frame for cheap, or upgrade to a better frame, and frame swap.
Falkon45

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Are they any steel inserts in the frame body itself? If not I will go get a couple bucks for it at the scrapyard.
Killgore

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:38 pm

All aluminum. If you know someone who can weld aluminum, you can get it welded better, but for the same price, you could probably start over with a whole bike and have extra parts leftover.
Falkon45

PreviousNext

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes