Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Genesis V2100 Build / Lotus Bike Build

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 pm

I wouldnt waste the money to have it welded...these bike frames (even the cheap ones) are all heat treated after the welding process is done to further strengthen them..Aluminum isnt very strong without the heat treating process...if it was a steel frame i would say go for it but a simple aluminum weld wont be any stronger and a waste of money in my opinion.

Junk the frame..youre way better off with a hardtail anyways for strength...the cheap and even expensive full suspension bikes have alot of inherent weak links in them...Hardtails are far more reliable and much less expensive to maintain.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:24 am

So I don't know what to call this thread anymore....Anyways here are some more bikes!

My birthday was on Sunday so my Mom went ahead and picked me up this: Dawes Eclipse 1.0. Fun stuff. Needs a sealed bottom bracket put on at some point, but other than that, seems to be a good entry level hybrid.

I had sold the genesis frame to the scrap yard for $15 (with some old CPU heat shields) and took the money and bought...more bikes. My cousin is getting a divorce finalized soon and his ex took his car. So my dad and I are fixing a bicycle up for him so he has some transportation.

It is an old columbia with the non indexed style of shifters. It has a 5 speed rear end and a two speed chainring. Going to paint it black and polish the chromes.

So my sister has been bitching she doesn't have a bicycle (even though i seriously doubt she will be riding that much. Anyways, that being said, this old quest (with a one piece crank?) still has compressible forks (at least with my big ass) so I am just going to throw some parts on it and give it to her. If she doesn't want to ride it I will just sell the damn thing. Has the thumb shifters so no indexing to keep track of.

Lastly, here is an interesting piece of ... poo. The freewheel in the back is trashed, the rear deraileur is seized and, in general, isn't in the best shape. Will just be a parts bike and everything will probably go in ye ole trashcan.

Anyways, none of these are really good bikes, but will be good starters for my sister and cousin. The Quest will probably just get lubed and everything double checked and thrown back together. The Columbia will be a bit more involved.

Note: I have about 150 trouble free miles on the Lotus, all I have to do is grease it occasionally and tighten the crank arms about once a week.

Wheels Wheels Wheels.

There is actually a slick 26 inch tire that I am thinking about putting on the front of the Lotus.

Artistic picture whenever I rode to the thing science people use to look at space. Image
Killgore

Postby Killgore » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 am

Well this is how the columbia turned out to look like. I really enjoyed test riding it.
Killgore

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm not sure why I like old bikes, but this one, I like it too :D
Interesting, Like the knobby rear.

A pair of grips and a rack of some sort - and that's a slick commuter
Tomcat65

Postby Killgore » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:35 pm

It does not do too bad around town. Anything longer than 3 miles away I would gravitate more for the dawes, but this one works just fine. My cousin will be in charge of taking care of anything else he does to it. I just dropped $70 on a bottle cage, lights, and back cargo rack for my dawes so I don't have a ton of cash left for his bike.

The original reason for the knobby rear was because the slick that was in the rear was shot. After putting about 20 miles on this thing I have decided I don't mind the knobby on the rear and it keeps sand from upsetting my whole balance. The spring seat would tick me off, but my cousin likes it. I guess not everyone wants their ass to hurt like I seem to not care. At 255 the springs on it sag a bit too much for my taste, but I got used to riding a hardtail without a forgiving seat,

The Dawes has incredible speed after switching over from strictly mountain bikes. The stock tires suck in the rain however. On a nice warm dry day the tires stick better than my care tires do sometimes. Even whenever it was 56 degrees this morning I had probably twice the observable grip that I had on a rain soaked 80 degree road.
Killgore

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:34 pm

I would take the usable parts off the quest and put it on the magna frame for your sister..that quest is certainly a bouncy mess that will take alot of effort to ride...She would have better success in maybe sticking with it in my opinion on the hardtail frame.

I see no reason why the fork on the quest wouldnt work on the magna, if you wanted to add it to it....A quick paint job in the color of her choice and its good to go.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Killgore » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:08 pm

Well she actually liked the quest. The thing isn't as bad on the bounce because I have a rear spring for my size...she is 100 lbs lighter than I am. She is a little pissy she only has a 15 speed, but if she doesn't like it she can deal with it or buy a new bike.

The Dawes betrayed me and tossed the chain. Alright it was partially my fault when I slammed the rear shifter into the biggest rear gear because there is a big ass hill you gotta climb up. But I'm still mad at it. Working on tuning it, will probably take it out tomorrow. These tires wear quick, granted, I have put about 160 miles on them.
Killgore

Postby Killgore » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Just a little update: Lotus has been doing great. About 400 miles has been put on it and it is still chugging along like a champ. Might be time for new cables here one day, but no biggie. I replaced the tubes with solid tubes and I roll right along just fine. Does great in the rocks with the solid tubes, although on the street the tires hum a bit more and are less comfortable.

Dawes was kicking the chain because the bike had 8/9 ball bearings on one side. Finally got the oomph to pull everything apart and re grease a rear wheel for the first time in my life. There are a shit ton of ball bearings behind the cassette. Holy hell. Anyways, with all new bearings and grease loaded in it, hopefully I can get another 2-300 miles on it.
Killgore

Postby BIGDCYCLES » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Spotted the Lake Afton observatory pic, you must be from somewhere around Wichita. I am down in Haysville. Nice bikes, miss my Giant Sedona hybrid so I am building a Mongoose X-Com hybrid with a lot of upgrades to take its place.
Mongoose Deception 29er, Triace AL 2.1 26", Vintage SS Conversion 27", Schwinn Criss Cross Mixte 26", Mongoose X-COM 700c (Project Xtreme Commuter)
BMX: 1998 Royce Union Vert X, 2000 Mosh Method, 2006 Redline Romp, 2007 Diamondback Joker
BIGDCYCLES

Postby Killgore » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah I live out in Goddard. Bout a 7 mile ride from my house. Good to know there is a rider out my direction.
Killgore

PreviousNext

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes