Schwinn Sidewinder Review New Black w/ Green $129

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Schwinn Sidewinder Review New Black w/ Green $129

Postby shinyhalo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 am

So the Schwinn Sidewinder was recently on rollback at Walmart for $129

I wanted a steel frame 26er so I got it.
I read the weight (after the kickstand was removed) was 30 pounds, but this is not true. With light pedals and trimmed down of some plastic pieces and kickstand, it's 33 pounds. I weigh about six times as much though so who cares.

I specifically ordered it unassembled because I intended to take it apart first anyway. This requires thin wrenches, crank remover, wheel hub remover, spoke tool, and crank hub remover tool.
The bearings for the wheels AND pedal hub literally grind and have a crazy amount of friction fresh from the box.

For the wheel bearings, the problem was simply lack of grease. Now they spin just fine.

For the pedal hub, one of the bearing rings was actually inserted BACKWARDS and that is why it was grinding. Greased it too and now it's fine.

The brakes need to be adjusted and the cable does not slide easily through the plastic sheath. I oiled the cables and adjusted the brakes.

The derailers actually work fine. I just oiled the cables. No fine tuning needed.

The wheels are slightly untrue/crooked. You need to know how to adjust spoke tension to straighten the wheels.

I rode it for a few miles and it's working great now. I don't know how it would hold up to off-road trails, but I went off a few 6 inch curbs and nothing bad happened.
shinyhalo

Re: Schwinn Sidewinder Review New Black w/ Green $129

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:04 pm

Steel frame? Hmmm.. I would have assumed it was aluminum :)
Not a bad looking bike
Schwinn 26 Sidewinder.jpg
Schwinn 26 Sidewinder.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Tomcat65

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes