KENT DEL RIO BEACH CRUISER..

Those classic-looking bikes that everyone loves to admire in a beach setting!
Forum rules
Be polite!

Re: KENT DEL RIO BEACH CRUISER..

Postby Lovespicyfood » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:37 pm

ripcurlrider wrote:I have a set of those Sunlite fenders that I bought from Niagara Cycle back around Christmas; I used them on my Rip Curl. They were well worth the $16 I paid then, and under $10 makes them an even better buy.

The back one lined up great but the front didn't. But it worked. I think it's a fork issue and not a problem with the fender itself. Saved my rear end from the rough winter crud ... and once I cleaned off the salt and light rust this past spring, they've done fine with heavy rain, too.

At this price, I might well order another pair for my new Electra ...

Good to know; thank you for this info! I am interested to see how they fit and how they look on the Del Rio. I will be sure to post pics when I get them and mount them.
Lovespicyfood

Postby ripcurlrider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 pm

Lovespicyfood wrote:
ripcurlrider wrote:I have a set of those Sunlite fenders that I bought from Niagara Cycle back around Christmas; I used them on my Rip Curl. They were well worth the $16 I paid then, and under $10 makes them an even better buy.

The back one lined up great but the front didn't. But it worked. I think it's a fork issue and not a problem with the fender itself. Saved my rear end from the rough winter crud ... and once I cleaned off the salt and light rust this past spring, they've done fine with heavy rain, too.

At this price, I might well order another pair for my new Electra ...

Good to know; thank you for this info! I am interested to see how they fit and how they look on the Del Rio. I will be sure to post pics when I get them and mount them.

Looking forward to seeing it!
ripcurlrider

Postby Lovespicyfood » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Got my fenders from REI yesterday. Wow, these are nice! Definitely sturdier than the stock fenders and the chrome is done very well!

Unfortunately, which I feared, it is not a super easy install. Started on the front fender. Had to take off the wheel, which meant I had to take the brake pads off because it is a tight fit with the Tektros. The front struts of the fender do not fit at the front axle and must be cut for clearance. I had the same issue with 1 strut from my front basket.

It does seem the alignment is spot on for both fenders but we shall see...it will take me some effort but I think it will be worth it. They are pretty cool looking and so far I am thrilled with the look.

My only other minor concern is that I will have 2 struts from the fender and 1 strut from my basket on EACH side of the front axle. I think it will be fine and I will just make sure to cinch up the axle bolts tightly. It is going to be a bit of a juggling act to get everything situated but I am optimistic.

Certainly, this will make maintenance a little more cumbersome but the bike doesn't need major service too often so it should be okay.

Will post pics when I am done...hopefully this weekend...
Lovespicyfood

Postby Lovespicyfood » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:56 pm

Got the front fender on...that was not easy. I had to grind off quite a bit of one of the struts on both sides. The fat fork of the Del Rio just gets in the way. I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and a grinding wheel. I do have to say, though, it looks nice installed!

I don't think the rear fender will be hard to put on...at least I am hoping...
Lovespicyfood

Postby Lovespicyfood » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:20 am

Got the rear fender installed last night...it was a little more time intensive than I thought it would be...fortunately, no grinding of the struts was needed...

To make it easier, I take the chain and chain guard off. I love having a quick disconnect chain link!

I had a couple challenges. First off, since I have a rear rack, clearance for one of the fenders struts was tight. Secondly, I've replaced the rear axle of the rim before and I had the axle skewed towards one side. Well, because of the "extra thickness" of having to put two fender strut ends through each side now, I had to pull my freewheel off and align the axle better.

As with the front fender, it will make servicing the bike where I have to take off the rear rim a bit of a hassle. But it's not too bad now that everything is lined up.

I think it looks pretty good! I will try to post pics later today...
Lovespicyfood

Postby Lovespicyfood » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Looks like I'm going to get rid of the Del Rio...It's been a great bike but now that I've moved to a new home w/ a longer commute to the grocery store, including a killer hill on the way back, I think I'm going to get a Schwinn Varsity 1250. I plan on stripping the rear rack off the Del Rio and putting it on the Schwinn along w/ a couple folding baskets (something I meant to get for the Del Rio but never did).
Lovespicyfood

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Aww. That sucks, man.
Falkon45

Postby banana rat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah, makes me sad after following this thread for so long.
banana rat

Postby Lovespicyfood » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Sorry guys...it was a great bike but I need a new bike for the job. Haven't been able to sell it on Craigslist so far...

Thinking about this one:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 2047_-1___

Unfortunately, it seems the Schwinn Varsity 1250 is no longer available...the cheaper option (even w/ the ubiquitous Nashbar 20% coupon/sell off)...

Pete
Lovespicyfood

Postby to the beach » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Well you're not in the middle of used bike season, Xmas season people are spending so take the best photos for your ad to sell your bike fast. Aluminum frame bikes are in higher demand than steel mostly.
to the beach

PreviousNext

Return to Beach Cruisers