Mongoose Sinsure

SS and Fixie bikes whether from Walmart or other stores.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Sinsure

Postby mongo613 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 am

Hey Guys and Gals of BBB,

I have recently joined the club that is big box bikes...Ive never purchased a bike from a big box retailer before, i have worked and built bikes for many mom and pop shops, i was a tech at sport check for a year building their big box bikes however i never purchased one. Getting older im leaning more toward road biking and getting out of dirt jumping.

I recently purchased a Mongoose Sinsure from walmart.com for my first road bike. Its SS, i know there has been some disscussion on this particular bike on this forum before.

My questions to you lovely people that make up BBB.

Are you still happy with your sinsure or similar walmart SS??

do you know the bottom bracket size for the sinsure?? I plan on replacing the BB and crankset

Any recommendations on other parts that should be replaced to turn this 150$ SS into a solid everyday commuter??

Thanks for any and all advice.
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
Mongoose DJ682 26" Dirt Jumper
Feel free to PM me with any questions on these BBB
mongo613

Re: Mongoose Sinsure

Postby mongo613 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 am

Picture fo the bike for those who havent seen it!

Mongoose Sinure Fixie
mongo613

Postby bones72751 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:08 am

I actually haven't seen this bike yet. Interesting bars. I like it. If only it came geared... Arkansas has way to many hills for SS, and I'm too lazy to try.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
2010 Windsor Cliff 4500- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2554
2012 Nishiki Colorado- GF's bike
2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

Visit our store- http://www.cafepress.com/bigboxbikes
bones72751

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 am

I think I started the SS thread with a posting about the Thruster I saw while bicycling near Kellogg, Idaho summer-before-last. Somehow I missed this one, though. What a beautiful bicycle!!!

The reviews on Walmart's page for the Sinsure are mixed. The longest and most in-depth review focused on the tubs and tires and overtightened fasteners. The tubes and tires issues were echoed by the two other reviewers so I wonder if you've experienced the same thing.

The handlebars are interesting. They look cool but I wonder how they would ride in real life. I'm a big fan of underslug (racer-style) handlebars on road bikes (and cyclecross) just because of the varied hand positions you get with them. MTB-style and flat bars seem restrictive to me.

What has your experience been with this bike? It's $50 more than the Thruster but seems to me to be a better bike all around.

And welcome to the forum. :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Irishmongooserider » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 am

Congrats on the Sinsure!

In my opinion this is one of the most attractive of the recent bunch of single speed (not true fixies) urban bikes from the bigace box stores.

The tires and tubes are items of issue, but also are cheap to replace. Tubes are as cheap as $3-$6 and tires are $20 or less for decent to good tires. Look for sales on the 700c tires, as they can be quite cheap, even at local shops. I can get some cool tan sidewall Kenda 700c x 28c tires for $8 each at my favorite shop... Be sure to install some good rim strips before the new tubes and tires go on, as the stock cheap strips are next to worthless in ny opinion.

After that, a good bb would be in order, and get a saddle that suits you. I love WTB saddles personally, and Origin8 has a few models I've tried in the shop that seem like a good alternative if you have to be budget conscious. The stock grips would get swapped to some locking Origin8 models if the bike was mine.

Just a few suggestions, but the bike is fairly good for how little it costs (most fixie frames cost more).
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby mongo613 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:38 am

Good advice so far guys! And thanks for the welcome:) I did read the review that mentioned the rim strips and tubes are crappy...that can only be expected at this price point. I don't actually have the bike yet, I used the ship to store option and have to drive across the border in a few days to pick it up. These bikes including the thrusters aren't available in Canada...no biggie though I'm 45min away from the closest US Walmart.

So far I plan on replacing the rim striping,tubes and tires. Ill wait for the stockies to go first.

Might get a flat bar for it, might just flip the stock bar upside down, I already have HB tape to replace the grips with.

I was debating getting a new BB and crankset this weekend and swaping it in right away when I build it. Anyone know the BB size??

Thanks!
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
mongo613

Postby mongo613 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm

So i crossed the border and picked up my sinsure last night, ripped back home and built it and tested it. As of now it is already in my most trusted local bike shop for the following:

They are swaping out the BB and crankset. ($80)

I will be purchasing these items and continuing the build tonight:

Slight riser bar ($25)
Nicer Lever's ($30)
Nylon/plastic platform pedals ($20)
Better Chain Tensioner ($6)
Fixed Cog for the other side of the rim ($10)
More comfortable Saddle ($50)

So to turn this 149$ ss mongo into a reliable commuter will cost me an additional $220.

I will do tubes, tires, rim tape, and new freewheel when the time comes.

All my up grades are black, plasti dipping the stem black to for a brown on black theme.
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
mongo613

Postby Irishmongooserider » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Some of those prices seem high to me...

Be sure you're not being overcharged for those items.
I can get a nice single ring crank and bb at my favorite shop for about $50.
I regularly see top quality saddles for $35 or less, many at $25 or so.
You can get various brake levers for $20 or less.
$20 for nylon/plastic pedals is about double what most go for... The stock alloy pedals on the Sinsure would be more durable.

Just my opinions, but I'm in the process of a frame up build of a urban single speed bike myself and have priced alot of the same components and my entire build will only cost just under $225 and this is a totally custom build...
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Irishmongooserider

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Irishmongooserider wrote:Some of those prices seem high to me...

Remember that he's in Canada.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Irishmongooserider » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:
Irishmongooserider wrote:Some of those prices seem high to me...

Remember that he's in Canada.

Craig

Yes, but the Canadian dollar is strong now (found that out when buying a fork from Canada last month). Its not the weak money that it used to be. When I was a kid in Michigan I can remember people being bummed out when they got Canadian coins as change since it wasnt worth as much.

Also, Amazon ships to Canada, so you can double check local prices in Canada vs Amazon to be sure you're not being taken advantage of... Just my take on it.

Irishmongooserider

Next

Return to Single Speed/Fixed Gear Bikes