Mongoose Sinsure

SS and Fixie bikes whether from Walmart or other stores.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Sinsure

Postby mongo613 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:42 am

You guys were right my estimates were a bit high. All in for upgrades im sitting at $160. The crank and BB were 80$ including install, also remember im in canada, and im also supporting a local bike shop so saving 4$ here and there is not much of a concern, especially when i got the base platform for $150. These guys build me a DJ hardtail that cost me close to $3000, it was a black market MOB frame, the wheels they made me were Mag 30's with a white industry eno hub they are still prefectly tru after 8 years of serious abuse! Anyways heres how my budget Sinsure commuter build is turning out. Still need a new saddle, im going to see if i get use to this one first, also need a little plasti dip on the stem. The stock bb wasnt installed properly out of the box fyi. The new drivetrain make 1000% difference. These new pedals kick the crap out of the stockies to.

what do you think? $310 so far, still about $200 cheeper then what i can get a comparable bike for here in Canada.
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
Mongoose DJ682 26" Dirt Jumper
Feel free to PM me with any questions on these BBB
mongo613

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

mongo613 wrote:what do you think? $310 so far, still about $200 cheeper then what i can get a comparable bike for here in Canada.

I like it a lot... clean lines and what looks to me to be a comfortable cockpit. Single-speed street bikes just have that sweet coherent look about them anyway.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Irishmongooserider » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Looks good!

On the pricing... I only mentioned using Amazon to double check pricing, knowing that most shops will be slightly higher. It's just a good guideline in my opinion, not to actually hold a local shop that you like to online prices, but just to know that you're not paying double or more. I use a shop to buy 90% of my parts as well, so I totally get the supporting local businesses, just remember that some bike shops use a 200-250% markup and that's not close to reasonable. Reasonable shops may have a 150% markup, and that's where comparing Amazon pricing helps, weeding out the ripoffs vs the reasonably priced shops.

Again, looking good on the Sinsure! Now I've gotta get my SS together, lol. That's my Friday afternoon project...
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby rmb11130 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:37 am

Hi all, Im about to purchase the Mongoose Sinsure from the walmart site and was just wondering if it is a true fixie? I have read some things that say it has a freewheel. Just wondering if it had the flip flop hub.
rmb11130

Postby mongo613 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am

Yes it has a flip flop hub as you can see in the pictures i posted above, all you need to do is purchase the fixed cog and put it on. Its a 5$ part.

My sinsure is looking a bit different from the pics above i'll update this thread again soon, ive replaced the tires with "thickslicks" they are awesome. I also bought a can of black plasti dip and had some fun with the stem, spokes, and exposed seat post. Also replaced the saddle with a much more comfprtable wtb one. Also note i did the magnet test on the frame and it stuck...meaning this is not an aluminum frame as advertised by wally.

Enjoy your sinsure and feel free to update this thread with your experience, upgrades, and pics!

Cheers
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
mongo613

Postby rmb11130 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks Mongo! How many tooth cog should I order?
rmb11130

Postby mongo613 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:13 am

Its really up to you rmb, if you want a higher gear get one with less teeth, lower gear = more teeth. I have changed my crankset and front chain ring and i dont know what the stock chain ring count is on the sinsure anymore....

Right now im rocking a 16T fixie cog with a 46T chain ring which gives me a gear ratio of 2.88.

Heres a bike calc to play with. http://www.bikecalc.com/
Mongoose Sinure Fixie
mongo613

Postby Thanatos » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am

I looked at this bike at a Walmart in Bonney Lake WA. I was so tempted to get it but I already have a Mongoose Cachet that I customized with new alumium fixie cranks, Tektro road levers and brakes, an On-One Mungo bar, black carbon fiber handlebar tape, and a nicer seatpost/saddle. I wish that I had picked one up! I am living overseas now, and I am building an On-One Pompino instead.
Thruster Fixie, Mongoose Cachet, custom Nashbar touring bike, KHS AM1000, 2000 Access Titanium Singlespeed, Jamis dirt jumper, Redline Monocog Fixie, Access 9r 29er, and 2012 On-One Pompino! And those are just mine! She has many more too!
Thanatos

Previous

Return to Single Speed/Fixed Gear Bikes