Just got a new Thruster Fixie

SS and Fixie bikes whether from Walmart or other stores.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Just got a new Thruster Fixie

Postby birdmove » Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

It's the "Ronald MCdonald" bike. It has 700c tires, hand brakes, and flip-flop hub. I am leaving it as a single speed, and won't swap the rear hub to make it a fixie-at least for now. I am 59 and also have a cheap mountain bike, that I will probably set up for my wife. I had looked at these bikes at Wal Mart's web site, but I live near Hilo, Hawaii, and never saw any here till a few months ago. Most things are more money here, and this bike, which was $99 on the mainland, was $117 here. They got like 20 of them in here. Later, they marked them down to $99. Still looked at them each trip to Wally World. Then, they marked them down to $75. That did it. I went to WW yesterday to buy a bike. I wanted to look at the Fixie again, the Next Avon, the Granite Peak mountain bike, and I looked at a Huffy Cranbrook cruiser in a new color. I looked at the Huffy and noticed the terrible welds on the front fork, which didn't jndear the bike to me. Then I lifted the wheels and spun them and found one was WAY out of round. Scratch that one. The Granite Peak was next, marked at $108. It looked good, but had some kind of a chain/derailer problem. When lifting the rear wheel and moving the pedals backward, it made the chain kind of jump, grab and release. Put that one back. I liked the Avon, which only has a front derailer with 7 speeds, but kept thinking about the simplicity of the Thruster Fixie. Anyway I did get the Fixie. Took it home, aired the tires to 60 (and they didn't pop), lossened the steering stem and centered the bars, adjusted the position of the brake levers, adjusted the seat height, and such. Took it for a short maybe 2.5 mile ride tonight, and so far I like it. I don't like the brake squeal. I hear it is due to the painted wheels, and that if you get a better quality set of pads, it may fix that. I like the feel of the bike, the flat bars, etc. I think I'll be all right with a single speed, though, after I work up to it, I'll be doing some rides up to 25-30 miles. I do work out in a gym since age 49, so am in decent shape for my age.

Anyway, have any others with these bikes been able to get rid of the brake squeak with new pads? Hope I can.

Jon
birdmove

Re: Just got a new Thruster Fixie

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm

It's been almost 2 years since I saw my first Thruster in a Walmart in Kellogg, Idaho and posted it here. That bike must be about the best selling bike WM has ever had and they keep churning them out. Nice little bike for the money and it's certainly a stand-out.

BTW, the trails along I-90 in northern Idaho are all paved and are both hilly and flat. East of Kellogg you climb into the Rocky Mountains. West of Kellogg you follow the Coeur d'Alene River as it becomes a delta and heads to the big lake of the same name. Kellogg also has a gondola-fed ski area/downhill bike park so it's a good place to look at bikes.

Glad you like yours. :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby birdmove » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Haven't had many chances to ride the Thruster. Today I took it on part of a regular ride I like to do. The regular ride is about 17 miles. I probably did about 8-10 today. I don't have a bike computer or water bottle holder on this thing yet. Those items will come soon. I was expecting this bike to be a lot more work to ride than my Next Plush mountain bike with 21 speeds. I was amazed how well this big pedals. It wasn't bad, just different. I do have to stand up sometimes to pedal uphill, or get a fast start. I never had to stand on the mountain bike, unless I was off road on a tough section. But the Thruster was no problem for my 59 year old self. I am leaving it in single speed mode, and not fixie mode. My only gripe is the squeaky brakes. I had read that it's due to the painted wheels, if so, then it's not a good idea.
Anyway, I want to get a bike computer on this soon. I have got my mountain bike up to around 26 mph or so down hill in top gear.
Oh, my other gripe is that I just got my mountain bike all outfitted with water bottle holder, computer, seat post rack and bag, tools to do most repairs, hand air pump, and now I have a bare bike again to outfit.
birdmove

Postby zmbhntr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 pm

I look at this bike every single time I am inside a Wal-Mart. I like the new black/red combo much better than the previous color scheme.
I see a lot of these around town!
What is the weight on that badboy?
zmbhntr

Postby garybbentley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 pm

They had a new white one at a local walmart when I bought my hex.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Postby birdmove » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 am

The Hilo Wal Mart has lowered the price to $60 now. They were down to 2 left. That is a really good price.
birdmove

Postby Renaldow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm

How's the fixie holding up? Have you done any more to it? I just ordered the green one from walmart's site today. Kinda funny, I live in one of the biggest bike cities in the US, and our one local walmart has the worst selection of bikes possible. All little kid bikes, and maybe 3-5 adult bikes tops.
Renaldow

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 am

I've said this before and I'll say it again: The mysteries of Walmart marketing are not for us mere mortals to understand.

Products that seem like no-brainers to you and me are never-to-be-found while they pile some serious crapola onto the shelves. I have to admit that our local stores are somewhat better about bike stuff now than they were 3 or 4 years ago but I have never seen an XR-Pro 29er in any of them within 70 miles. And I've even approached people who are dressed like employees working in the bike area and explained why they should at least get one or two a month. But, so far, very little success.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby birdmove » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 am

Mine seems to be doing fine. I haven't done anything to it other than swap my seat post carrier and bag, and my handlebar mounted water bottle holder onto it. The brakes still squeak.
birdmove

Postby Renaldow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:36 pm

birdmove wrote:Mine seems to be doing fine. I haven't done anything to it other than swap my seat post carrier and bag, and my handlebar mounted water bottle holder onto it. The brakes still squeak.

I wonder if the brakes would still squeak if you sanded them a little or put softer ones on? I guess I'll find out!
Renaldow

Next

Return to Single Speed/Fixed Gear Bikes