Thruster Fixie Bottom Bracket Size

SS and Fixie bikes whether from Walmart or other stores.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Thruster Fixie Bottom Bracket Size

Postby audiomatron » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just got a Thruste Fixie this past weekend. This is the first bike I have ever owned as an adult. I want to upgrade a few things on it to truly make it my own. One of the parts I definitely want to replace is the bottom bracket. The only problem is, I'm not totally sure of the size. I've saw on a FAQ at Wal Mart's site where someone said it is 68X113 or 114mm. I saw somewhere else on the same page where it is 114mm. As I look around Amazon for BBs, I don't see any that are 114, but plenty that are 113. Does anyone know which size it takes? This is probably one of the first three things I want to replace on this bike - Brakes, saddle, BB. I bought some metal pedals for it already at Wal Mart while I was buying the bike.

Also, assuming the BB is 113, I'm looking at this Shimano sealed BB http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DTIKQE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2G3QPK2LY0EIR&coliid=I2RCLCZZCIBD5E. Does anyone know if the tool that is needed to put this BB on is the same one used to take the old one off?

Thanks!
audiomatron

Re: Thruster Fixie Bottom Bracket Size

Postby Renaldow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I've got a Thruster Fixie too, and have done quite a bit of work to it.

I haven't changed the bottom bracket out. I've opened it up, regreased it all and repacked it, and called that good enough for me. I can tell you that to remove the bracket that's on there now, you need a Park Tool HCW-5 Lock Ring Spanner, while the bracket you linked too requires a Shimano Sealed Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool.

I bought mine in a box, and as I assembled it I adjusted and greased the hubs and bottom bracket. I was going to replace the brakes, but after adjusting them properly they work very well. My only plan now is to eventually replace the crank, pedals and handlebars.

You might find loosening up and greasing the bottom bracket and wheel hubs make it ride like an entirely different bike. I know mine were locked down way too tightly. Unless you are looking at getting a comfort seat, you may consider keeping the original saddle that came with it, it's actually really good.
Renaldow

Postby audiomatron » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks for the reply, Renaldow,

I don't really have a basis for comparison to say the the BB is tight. Honestly it seems fine to me, but I've read that it does make a real difference to replace one. Although, since mine is basically new, perhaps I should just try taking it apart and greasing the BB and hubs (assuming I posses the mechanical prowess to do it). Apart from the tool that you mentioned, do I need any other ones for the hubs?

The seat hurts me. The one I'm looking at is this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015RASQS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2G3QPK2LY0EIR&coliid=I2T3EKSMIUWQ2Z.

As for the brakes, any suggestions on how to adjust them? I'm brand new to bikes, so I don't know very much yet... I will say that I rode mine about 9 and a half miles Sunday, and it was fun (and definitely more work than running).
audiomatron

Postby Renaldow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:01 pm

By no means do I know it all, but I will say 1) If you don't know how to adjust brakes, don't try to replace your brakes. 2) Don't do any upgrades that don't have a specific reason.

There's a lot of info online about bike maintenance. The Thruster Fixie's a great bike to learn maintenance on, it's all really simple.

Brake adjustment is easy on this bike. Align the pads so that they rub the rim without rubbing the tires. When you squeeze the brake levers, if they don't seem tight enough, loosen the nut holding the cable on the caliper, squeeze the calipers so they're closer to the rip, pull the cable to the new spot and tighten it down. Here's a short vid that shows it exactly: http://youtu.be/W1xcWoGlTdk

Here's a tutorial on how to grease wheel hubs. It's also pretty easy, and right now don't worry about replacing them, just get grease in there and loosen them up. http://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

Greasing the bottom bracket works about the same as the hubs. No need for any special grease. Red marine grease, like $5 a can works well. Whatever thick grease at the hardware store will work.

That site in general has a lot of good info, as does youtube.

As for tools, a decent wrench set, and a 13mm bike wrench are useful. If you want to remove the crank to get at the bottom bracket, you'll need a cotterless crank removal tool too.
Renaldow

Postby fotofan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Don't mean to contradict Renaldow here, but I don't use any bike-specific tools at all, and I can do anything I want with my bike, even remove a freewheel. (Actually, I do have a spoke wrench to true my wheels, but that's the only bike tool I use.) To remove the cranks, I just loosen the bolts holding them onto the spindle, and then knock them off with a mallet. On the drive side, there's a slot in the chainring that allows me to put a screwdriver directly on the crank arm and beat it off; YMMV. But a crank removal tool is still the better way to go. As for taking the bottom bracket out, I just put a screwdriver in the slots on the lockring, and tap it with a hammer. Same way for the cups. Proper tools are still recommended; they just aren't available in Kenya:)
Chinese 26" hardtail/SR Suntour XCR 100mm
fotofan

Postby bikeman543 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 pm

audiomatron wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just got a Thruste Fixie this past weekend. This is the first bike I have ever owned as an adult. I want to upgrade a few things on it to truly make it my own. One of the parts I definitely want to replace is the bottom bracket. The only problem is, I'm not totally sure of the size. I've saw on a FAQ at Wal Mart's site where someone said it is 68X113 or 114mm. I saw somewhere else on the same page where it is 114mm. As I look around Amazon for BBs, I don't see any that are 114, but plenty that are 113. Does anyone know which size it takes? This is probably one of the first three things I want to replace on this bike - Brakes, saddle, BB. I bought some metal pedals for it already at Wal Mart while I was buying the bike.

Also, assuming the BB is 113, I'm looking at this Shimano sealed BB http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DTIKQE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2G3QPK2LY0EIR&coliid=I2RCLCZZCIBD5E. Does anyone know if the tool that is needed to put this BB on is the same one used to take the old one off?

Thanks!

did you ever upgrade the bttm brkt? If not and you are still interested I can get ya the measurement. i replaced 2 of them on my kid's bikes. I just don't have the measurement with me now. I can get it if you are still looking.
Bikes: Specialized Enduro, Felt Curbside, Mongoose DJ and NS Capital
bikeman543

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:01 pm

bikeman543 wrote:did you ever upgrade the bttm brkt? If not and you are still interested I can get ya the measurement. i replaced 2 of them on my kid's bikes. I just don't have the measurement with me now. I can get it if you are still looking.

It would be nice if you'd post it even if audiomatron is not still looking. Someone probably can use the information. :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby bikeman543 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Okay, made my way to the backyard in this horrid cold weather. 68x110.5 is what is needed to replace the bttm brkt on the Thruster. Oh and make sure it is square tapered spindles, unless you plan to change your crank arms as well.

Many companies make them and you can find all kinds of prices. Shimano makes one that is the UN-54.

I have included this link. It is the first one that popped up so I'm not necessarily recommending this site. But, price wise looks about average:

https://www.benscycle.com/p-167-shimano ... 7AodD1oA7g

Hope that helps.
bikeman543

Postby bikeman543 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Also, just realized this is not the original Thread I had been on. There is another Thread about the Thruster at:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2415

Check it out.
bikeman543

Postby Renaldow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for the measurement, Bikeman! I'm sure that will come in handy for me down the road.
Renaldow

Next

Return to Single Speed/Fixed Gear Bikes