Thruster Fixie Bottom Bracket Size

SS and Fixie bikes whether from Walmart or other stores.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Thruster Fixie Bottom Bracket Size

Postby audiomatron » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi.. Sorry I posted that and sort of disappeared... I went out of town for a while. Thanks for the measurement! I'm torn as to whether I want to replace the BB or try to take it apart and grease the current one up. It just seems like it would be tedious.
audiomatron

Postby Renaldow » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Do whatever's going to make you happy. The outcomes will likely be similar, and I'm not sure what you mean by tedious, but at the end of the day you'll never be happy with it unless you do what you already have in mind to do.
Renaldow

Postby bikeman543 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 pm

My 2 cents worth is this: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Run it till it is.

As far as my kids bikes go they were starting to have issues with the bttm brkts coming loose. I took them apart, greased them and properly adjusted them (I have formal bike mechanic training). Within about 30 miles they were coming loose, again. So, I recommended the sealed bttm brkts so this problem would be fixed and save me time working on their bikes, LOL.

Since the install of the sealed units I have not had to work on the bikes.

As far as a difference, it is most definitely a difference. Sealed units run smoother than loose bearings, they feel more solid and there is no maintenance. Put them in, torque them properly and they are done until they wear out.

That's why I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is broke then spend a few dollars @$20-25 and do the job once.
Bikes: Specialized Enduro, Felt Curbside, Mongoose DJ and NS Capital
bikeman543

Postby Renaldow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:18 am

Just for a comparison...

I'd never opened a bottom bracket before. I looked online to see what to expect. I made sure I had the proper tools. I opened it up, greased it all up, put it back together in better shape than it was, and it works way better. It comes really tight from the factory, and without much of any grease in there at all. Total time, about 10 minutes, and this was a job I'd never done before.

For me, the experience and training outweight the $25 for a sealed one. The next thing I do to the bb will be to install a sealed one, but not until this one fails, if it ever does.
Renaldow

Postby juniorswv » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Part of the " fun" of having a bike is doing your own " stuff " to it. Good job. Enjoy! !!!!!
juniorswv

Postby bikeman543 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Heck yeah, like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. All BB Bikes need to be taken apart and greased when you get them. The assembly is based on how many bikes they can get out in a day. So, the robot shoots a spot of grease in there and it gets tightened down.

If my kids bikes would have stayed tight after I greased them then I would have left them stock. Since the wouldn't stay properly adjusted I considered them broke.

Good job on figuring it out and getting the job done. :!:
Bikes: Specialized Enduro, Felt Curbside, Mongoose DJ and NS Capital
bikeman543

Postby Midawi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Just wanted to add that the 110mm BB may not work on all Thrusters.
My Thruster has the black frame with white and red accents. The BB that came off of my bike was 113mm. The shop tried a 110mm first but it didn't work--the chainring bottomed out on the frame before the crank was tight.
Midawi

Postby Renaldow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:07 am

Midawi wrote:Just wanted to add that the 110mm BB may not work on all Thrusters.
My Thruster has the black frame with white and red accents. The BB that came off of my bike was 113mm. The shop tried a 110mm first but it didn't work--the chainring bottomed out on the frame before the crank was tight.

I believe that's an entirely different frame. This is an old thread that was made when there were only 2 Thruster Fixies, a black one with red/orange aka the McDonald's Fixie, and the bright green with blue/yellow one. They had the same frame, just different colors. Now Walmart seems to sell several different bikes under the name of Thruster Fixie and they're not all the same. Great that you pointed that out though, as I was looking at the black/red/white one you're talking about.
Renaldow

Previous

Return to Single Speed/Fixed Gear Bikes