My Thruster Fixie Now

SS and Fixie bikes whether from Walmart or other stores.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

My Thruster Fixie Now

Postby audiomatron » Fri May 23, 2014 6:37 am

A few months ago I posted about wanting to change the bottom bracket on my Thruster Fixie. Well, I got a hold of a little bit of extra money, and kinda went crazy. Here is the result:

http://audiomatron.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bike-final-final.jpg

I got a Shimano UN55 BB, XLC Aero levers, retrospec track bars, vuelta zerolite track comp wheels, nashbar comfort city tires, nashbar tubes, bell brake cables, and wellgo pedals.

This bike rides like a dream. I just did a 60 mile group ride a few weekends ago, and contrary to what the bike snobs think, my bike didn't explode and I didn't get killed (matter of fact, TONS of people with uber expensive bikes and tires could be seen changing flats that day on the side of the trace - not me!). I'm hooked on cycling. All I can think about is riding (and bikes) now.
audiomatron

Re: My Thruster Fixie Now

Postby Renaldow » Fri May 23, 2014 9:33 am

So, it looks like you've replaced everything but the frame? The bike looks great. I love my Thruster Fixie. I think before I did a big overhaul like that I'd consider buying a new bike for myself. How's the bottom bracket feel compared to the original? That's one thing I'm looking at replacing.
Renaldow

Postby audiomatron » Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 am

The BB was the first thing I replaced, and I definitely noticed a difference. It pedals smoother for sure.

I probably could have gotten a new bike, but I never seem to have all the money at once for one (I know I could save). The way I look at it is that it got me into riding, and I was able to gradually get tricked out the way I wanted it (I didn't do all of this at once). Plus its kind of cool that so far, I don't see anyone with a bike like mine 8-)
audiomatron

Postby juniorswv » Fri May 23, 2014 11:16 am

Your bike looks great. You did a wonderful job. I think you feel better when you upgrade your bike yourself a little at a time. Good Luck!!!!
juniorswv

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri May 23, 2014 5:40 pm

60 miles on a fixie? Nice job and bike looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby bikeman543 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:42 pm

:mrgreen: You did great!!! Don't let anyone dog it. Fixing the bike as you want it is the ideal way to go. Don't let others tell you any different. When it is time to upgrade you will know exactly what you want in a bike and will have a much easier time shopping. This bike, with regular wrenching, will last you a very long time. You will most likely outgrow it (experience, not size) before it dies. Pass it on to someone else so they can enter cycling and enjoy it.
Bikes: Specialized Enduro, Felt Curbside, Mongoose DJ and NS Capital
bikeman543

Postby audiomatron » Tue May 27, 2014 8:08 am

@BoomerBrian - I was using the freewheel and not the fixed gear on the 60 mile ride. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about riding fixed gear that I don't like. Still, there are several sections of the Longleaf Trace that are gradual uphill for a couple of miles each. Definitely made me wish for gears a time or two.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the kind words! The only thing I sort of don't like about my bike is my choice in handlebars. I got track bars, which are okay, but I think what I was after was drop bars for a road bike. I didn't know the difference when I bought them. If I make anymore changes, it will probably be that. Although it's not like the track bars are causing me problems or anything. I think the wider road bars will give me better control though.
audiomatron

Postby Renaldow » Tue May 27, 2014 12:48 pm

audiomatron wrote:The BB was the first thing I replaced, and I definitely noticed a difference. It pedals smoother for sure.

I probably could have gotten a new bike, but I never seem to have all the money at once for one (I know I could save). The way I look at it is that it got me into riding, and I was able to gradually get tricked out the way I wanted it (I didn't do all of this at once). Plus its kind of cool that so far, I don't see anyone with a bike like mine 8-)

I'm in the same decision mode that you are/were for my Thruster Fixie. I was planning on replacing parts like you did, but then when I started adding costs up, it seemed like it might make more sense to buy an entirely new bike, which I really didn't want to do. I've kind of decided to split the difference and replace non performance parts as they break, if they break.

Out of all the changes you made, which seemed to make the biggest difference?
Renaldow

Postby audiomatron » Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Renaldow - It's hard to say which upgrade made the most difference. I didn't get to test all of them independently. If I had to pick one I'd say the wheels and tires made the biggest difference. They changed the way the bike rides for sure. The old tires were 60 PSI, I believe. These are 85 PSI, and are very much skinnier. The new wheels are more nimble and less... rickety. The only downside is they don't handle dirt/gravel near as well. Oh, and the breaks don't make the terrible squealing noise that they did on the old wheels.

Here are the other upgrades, and the difference I noticed:

Bottom Bracket - Smoother pedaling.

Handlebars - Definitely changed the riding position to a more forward/aggressive one. Seems to change my center of gravity. May just be imagining this, but it seems to make it easier to take hills. I noticed MapMyRun clocking slightly higher speeds on the same sections of my usual rides.

Brake Levers - Became a necessity after the drop bars. I couldn't find a good place for the old levers. Now I can ride the hoods or the drops.

Pedals - Don't know. Never used the old ones as I bought the new pedals with the bike. I could just see myself breaking the plastic ones.

Really, all the parts add up to a "big picture". All of them together make for a overall smoother ride. All I really need now is better brakes (I want some with those quick releases to make them easier to adjust).
audiomatron

Postby Renaldow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:59 pm

What size BB is it? I had a spec list I'd made and can't find it!!
Renaldow

Return to Single Speed/Fixed Gear Bikes