Wal mart huffy warhawk

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Wal mart huffy warhawk

Postby neo71665 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:28 pm

was at the local wally world and in the garden center it looked like they were stockpiling the x-mas lineup. Google has just about nothing on it. I have a bike in the mail but dad is talking about trying to get one now and since he won't order anything (even from the store) I kinda looked over it. It actually didn't look that bad to me but I know nothing about newer bikes.

29 x 3 inch tires
shimano 21 speed triggers
dual disks of unknown name
spring front fork
says double wall alloy rims
says steel frame but seemed kinda light to me, next time I go back I'll have a magnet to check it. I sit on it for a second and gonna say its a med sized frame.
ugly neon stickers on a gloss black frame

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-29-Men- ... k/45291131

neo71665

Re: Wal mart huffy warhawk

Postby JohnnyMullet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm

I suppose your dad can be the first one to give us an honest review on this bike.
Ashtabula Crank Bicycle Club
JohnnyMullet

Postby neo71665 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:30 pm

JohnnyMullet wrote:I suppose your dad can be the first one to give us an honest review on this bike.

Dont hold your breath. He just had major back surgery last month and it will be awhile before he is on a bike.

I do like it but my bike isn't here from bikes direct yet. I already have too many expensive hobbies (paintball, drag racing, cattle, hunting, fishing) to add bike collecting to it.
neo71665

Postby neo71665 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:31 am

Was able to check the frame, its steel.
neo71665

Postby rudiger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 am

The most intriguing thing about the Warhawk (besides the high price for a Huffy) are the detachable pedals. It's the first time I've ever seen them on a bike from a low-end manufacturer. They say Wellgo on them and seem okay, but I'll be damned if I can find anything on them, anywhere.
rudiger

Postby neo71665 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:02 am

Any info beside just generic stuff is nowhere to be found. Huffy isn't even willing to supply anything more than whats on the wal-mart website.

This thing kinda interests me even with huffy's rep. If it would have had an aluminum frame one would most likely be sitting beside my motobecane right now. Might still end up with one if dad decides to bite. The shape his back is in his bike riding will be a short stint like it was last time.
neo71665

Postby 6sharky9 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:19 am

Huffy is making moves with their bikes..Wasnt long ago while others were offering disc brakes that all huffy had was v brakes as options on all their models.

Sort of nice to see front and rear discs on a huffy...the bike looks stout but i would still treat it as a entry level trail bike...The steel frame was to keep cost down im sure..Huffy has always been in the lower price bracket with their bikes.

Wellgo is a popular name brand with pedals...those pedals could be made specifically for huffy which could be the reason you dont find them under normal searches.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby rudiger » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:41 am

I found those pedals. They're called 'QRD' (Quick Release Detachable) and look like Wellgo has had versions of them for years, just not in the US market. Strange, but maybe the price is too high and market research has shown limited appeal in this country. They do have detriments, like making the pedals stick out further and the quick-release device could conceivably get in the way while pedaling.

Still, seems like removing the pedals and front tire (which would allow the handlebars to be turned parallel with the frame) would be a great way to quickly reduce the width of a bike for transportation purposes, not to mention being a better way to prevent casual theft by taking the pedals instead of lugging a front wheel around.
rudiger

Postby neo71665 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:11 am

Seems like an useless gimmick to me. Adds more weight than needed and something else that could go wrong. I've honestly about talked myself into getting a warhawk and setting it up to use as a hunting rig. The seat and those pedals would be the first things I would swap.

I'm just wondering if plus sized tires will fit on the Phalanx. Judging by what I've seen over the net I like its aluminum frame better. I have to find one to see in person before I start shopping for a bare frame. Since none of the stores in a 2 hour radius carry it I doubt that will ever happen.
neo71665

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Just saying,
The Huffy Warhawk removable pedals might be a shipping and assembly advantage.. Meaning the intended consumer might or might not benefit from them, and they care not lol... Weight on this steel frame bike is irrelevant. I'd bet this bike is as heavy as any Dolomite or Hitch Fat bike. Weight just doesn't seem to matter to the BBB designers when they start building Plus size and fat bikes.
The only thing that matters to me in pedals is a solid, grippy, alloy, with a foolproof finish. Anything else is just bling or in the way
Tomcat65

Next

Return to Fat Bikes