Blue Mongoose Beast/Digital Camo Beast-Specs & Observations

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Blue Beast / Digital Camo Beast - Specs & Observations

Postby Houndog » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:26 pm

I have to say I didn't enjoy riding mine much on singletrack...I might go with some apes and a banana seat and put the stock tires back on..
Houndog

Blue Beast / Digital Camo Beast - Specs & Observations

Postby BoomerBrian » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Houndog wrote:I have to say I didn't enjoy riding mine much on singletrack...I might go with some apes and a banana seat and put the stock tires back on..

There is so much sand at draper right now it will be just like on the beach. Perfect for the beast. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoomerBrian

Postby desertguns » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Houndog wrote:I have to say I didn't enjoy riding mine much on singletrack...I might go with some apes and a banana seat and put the stock tires back on..

I can understand that. But I also think the SS guys could make the transition easier. This is the first bike I've had with no gears. Think I was a little spoiled, but getting better after the first week. Still working out cockpit adjustments - part cruiser, part MTB. I don''t get what the appeal of the bike is for street riding. But I did see the pics on Ratrod & do get the novelty of a street setup.

Oh, and the key thing about sand is - never stop! If you start to slow down too much, stand up & pump that sucker!

Also, on loose grit over hardpack, the stock tires will still slide out from under you, even at 8 psi. It does not corner as well as the WTB Stout or Tioga Psycho on my Deception front wheel. That's why I may get the Vee knobby tire on the previous page. May get some knee & elbow pads too There's a real learning curve with this bike. :oops:
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:37 pm

This is pretty much how it' gonna stay for now. I do have a wider BMX bar coming in next week. It has the Velo plush seat off the Deception, ergo grips, new water bottle & air pump, tool bag & 29er fender. The fender isn't wide enough but will help. It's also the basic template for the fiberglass unit, which is wider, longer & wraps farther down the seat tube. Also leaving it 1/2 camo & 1/2 blue. :D
Attachments
100_4691.jpg
100_4691.jpg (205.58 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
100_4694.jpg
100_4694.jpg (246.99 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
desertguns

Postby steady eddie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 am

dg--

You are making this thread even better with the edit...lol...

Do you know if Pacific made a running change to address the problem with the broken drivers
inside the rear Beast hubs?? Instead of re-doing the part (to fit with the longer hub length),
they chose to make a cut in the part and "scab on" an additional length of shaft by utilizing a butt weld. It is this weld that breaks.. :o ..and when it does, then you lose all braking ie. you can't stop or even slow down....not good when you are expecting to stop a 40+ pound bike.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby desertguns » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:52 am

I saw that thread over at that "other" forum. I have not torn down the hub & don't plan to until/unless failure. Also don't recall if those guy were using stock cogs or not. Mine is from a different batch than those reports. The box was marked, 139 of 759, and was received in San Francisco in mid June, then warehoused north of SF. If properly welded, those joints should be fine. Emphasis on the word "properly". I have no doubt Pacific would send me complete wheel should I break mine in the next few months. At 225 lbs (or so) & me standing on the pedals just about every time I ride, hoping it will break sooner rather than later. If Pacific has acknowledged & corrected the problem, I think it only be an internal memo, otherwise they'd be forced to do a recall. So far, that is not the case.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:39 pm

More grinning...It has been officially initiated 8-) More monsoon pics here http://www.bigboxbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2562
Attachments
100_4709.jpg
100_4709.jpg (192.74 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
100_4697.jpg
100_4697.jpg (271.11 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:55 pm

steady eddie wrote:dg--

You are making this thread even better with the edit...lol...

I thought it would be good to have specs & relevant criticisms in one thread, & mostly one post. I wish there had been one when I bought my Deception in 2010. I think the Deception link on my sig line probably has more info about that bike in one thread than researching the net will get you. Just hope the Beast post saves someone some time, money or effort down the road. 8-)
desertguns

Postby steady eddie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:26 am

dg---

X2^^

One-stop-shopping..lol..

One thing that I like about the Beast---the steel frame--the "lines" are incredible, notice how the top tube slants downward and matches up with the angle of the rear seat stay perfectly.

The chain stays are about 3+ inches longer than a standard sized bike. Which almost guarantees a smoother ride. The steel will flex enough to act like a shock absorber.
The nay-sayers will disagree, saying that much flex will lead to welds breaking, but the cure is simple with a steel frame, it can be fixed. Easily. I already have a wire-feed machine and can use it, too.

There was some hand-wringing over on MTBR about the front welds cracking on the front fork. Not to worry. All that is needed is to keep an eye on them, and squirt some wire on them if they begin to show signs of cracking. Or return the bike, if it is with-in 90 days.

As with any steel bike, you should poof some Frame-Saver into the frame tubing.

Here is a link at E-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-P-Weigle-Fram ... 3cd1c06ab9

frame saver.jpg
frame saver.jpg (21.11 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby desertguns » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Well, the guys breaking forks & frames over at that other forum are mostly idiots, but a few are legitimately testing limitations. As I've said on this forum a couple of times, it's a cruiser, not a MTB. But it wants to be an MTB...until you stand up on the pedals or take quick turns in the dirt. The geometry hits you; it's a cruiser.

It's not like a Deception - not a base for killer upgrades either. But this $200 investment will have me looking at $500-$600 redesigned Sun fat bike when they're released this Nov. And I'll keep the Beast as an XC fat cruiser, which it does incredibly well so far.

Didn't know there was a specific frame saver for steel bikes. Thanks. Had intended to use Hoppe's #9 gun oil with Weatherite. Super stuff on gun metal, raw steel & fishing reels. I'll give your stuff a shot for the season & see how it does.
desertguns

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes