Blue Mongoose Beast/Digital Camo Beast-Specs & Observations

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Blue Mongoose Beast/Digital Camo Beast-Specs & Observati

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Looking good, man! Did you find those cranks online? I think you should invest is a sealed BB. You would probably benefit WAY more with one. Not like that one seems to be giving you much trouble, at the moments, though. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby desertguns » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Looking good, man! Did you find those cranks online? I think you should invest is a sealed BB. You would probably benefit WAY more with one. Not like that one seems to be giving you much trouble, at the moments, though. Lol.

Normally I'd agree with you. And if you find a cartridge BB with a 100mm shell & 150mm square taper spindle for $30 or so, be sure to let me know. ;) I found ISIS BB for around $60-$70 but then I'd need to buy an ISIS crank & that's another $70-$100+ depending on sales & timing. No, those kinds of $$ aren't going into this bike. Shimano will eventually come out with UN55 in 100x149mm & I'll be on it! 8-) In the meantime, I can buy a lot of grease & get parts cheap from Pacific.

Yeah, cranks were on Amazon. I was surprised how cheap & quality is great!
desertguns

Postby to the beach » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Shorter crank arms, hmmm, wouldn't there be less leverage therefore reduced torque? I understand that your legs require less movement so there's less exertion in that department. Beasts just look like a whole lotta fun, anyway I sure would like to see a beast with freewheel, gears, and disk brakes though, and some fenders!
to the beach

Postby desertguns » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 pm

to the beach wrote:Shorter crank arms, hmmm, wouldn't there be less leverage therefore reduced torque? I understand that your legs require less movement so there's less exertion in that department.
Of course you are correct. It's been a long day & I am not expressing myself well.

to the beach wrote:Beasts just look like a whole lotta fun, anyway I sure would like to see a beast with freewheel, gears, and disk brakes though, and some fenders!
I'd just about bet that Wallytown will have one on the shelves sometime and it won't necessarily be a Goose. Kent took a big chance with the Genesis Super 32 & now the Ultra 32 7 speed. That took testicles & although they didn't invent the concept, they saw an opportunity to exploit it. Sun's fat bike cruiser is Walmart class parts & sells for $500 but they don't seem to know what they're doing. A 7 speed Beast w/ disk brakes could be had for $300-$350 or so. Canti brakes under $300 & I could live with those on a cruiser. And I'd rather it not be a MTB configuration (and the Beast is not). Someone need only exploit the niche.
desertguns

Postby aaarrbb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for the measurements; just ordered one with the intent of using a shock seat post I have. So I just ordered the correct shim for proper fit. Thinking about a KMC Rustbuster chain as well, as I plan to ride it on the beach.
aaarrbb

Postby desertguns » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:05 pm

aaarrbb wrote:Thanks for the measurements; just ordered one with the intent of using a shock seat post I have. So I just ordered the correct shim for proper fit. Thinking about a KMC Rustbuster chain as well, as I plan to ride it on the beach.

Aaarrbb! Sounds like a pirate with a speech impediment :P Funny you'd raise this thread today - just got back on the Beast for the first time in a couple of months myself. Great for an easy night ride.

Glad you found something useful here. Once you hit deep dry sand just keep in mind that a 20T or 22T rear cog can be had for around $8 or so. ;) Wet sand at the shore line should be great as is. Hope you read the bits about checking grease points & noted Steady Eddie's frame anti-rust comment, particularly at the ocean. Have fun! Let us know how it goes.
desertguns

Postby aaarrbb » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Believe it or not, my Beast was stolen from my patio! Lock was cut and in addition to the bike, they got my Thudbuster seat post and a $100 worth of Specialized saddle. Another Beast plus worth, ouch! Too bad I never shot any pictures before...

Bought another though, and it came in perfect condition (unbelievable). So I just ordered the Sunlite crankset you mentioned (my toes are banging the front wheel if I'm not careful), already have the Rustbuster chain, another shim, and a Kalloy 27.2 x 400 Laprade seatpost, from Amazon/Niagra, post and crankset $40, shim $3 from Performance, chain $11 on Ebay. I'll use either a Fizik Nisene or Terry Fly saddle I have this time. And an aluminum/stainless Minoura handlebar camera mount clamp (22-29 mm) for my GoPro from Amazon for 13.75. Once I go to tear it down, I'm going the boiled linseed oil route for in-tube rust prevention, as I already have some.

This bike is on restriction now; living in the storage shed, which now reeks of Chinese rubber!

Thanks again
aaarrbb

Postby desertguns » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 am

Damn buddy! I'd love to catch a jackwad stealing a guy's bike. Take him on a little trip to the desert. :twisted: Be sure to post some pics after your mods. When you get the new crank, don't forget to pull that bottom bracket apart, wipe out the metal shavings & use a marine grade grease to reassemble. 8-)
desertguns

Previous

Return to Fat Bikes