Sun Crusher 7 Speed Fat Cruiser $489.00 !!

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Sun Crusher 7 Speed Fat Cruiser $489.00 !!

Postby desertguns » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Put $200 down on this bike today. I love the bad reviews. Comes with Tourney RD & shifter. 7 speed freewheel. Canti rim brakes & Beast rims. Love it. $489 landed. Screw the snobs. This is what I've been waiting for. Upgrade the tires, RD, freewhell & bars & seat for my needs. Will put the Beast back to stock & sell it. Yeah, it's another cruiser but I can live with that. I think this is as close to a big box multi-speed fat bike as we'll get for a while. Delivery expected in Nov..

Frame
High Tensile Steel, TIG-Welded
Fork
1-1/8' Hi Tensile Steel, Curved Tapered Legs, Double Eyelets
Headset
Steel, Caged Bearings, 25.4 x 34 x 30mm
Handlebar
Steel, 28" Wide x 13" Rise x 25.4mm Clamp
Stem
Alloy, 25.4 x 180mm Quill x 80mm Ext. x 30Deg Rise x 25.4 Clamp
Grips
Foam, Black
Brake Lever
Alloy, Linear Pull, Black / Silver
Front Brake
Alloy, Linear Pull, 125mm
Rear Brake
Alloy, Linear Pull, 125mm
Rear Shifter
Shimano SL-RS35-7 Tourney 7-Speed Twist Shifter
Rear Derailleur
Shimano RD-TX35 Tourney
Freewheel
Shimano TZ-21 (7-Speed) 14-28T
Seat Clamp
Alloy, 31.8mm I.D., With Bolt
Seat Post
Alloy w/o Clamp, 28.6 x 350mm
Saddle
Custom Cruiser, Elastomer Suspension
Crank Set
3-Piece Alloy W/Integrated Chain Ring, 170mm
Chainwheel
Steel, 32T x 1/2" x 1/8"
Bottom Bracket
Steel, Caged Bearings, BSA 1.37' x 24T, Water Resistant
BB Spindle
Square Taper (JIS), Bolt Type, 68 x 153mm for 100mm Shell
Chain
K.M.C. Z51 1/2 x 3/32'
Chain Guard
Steel, Painted
Pedals
VP 875, Slip Resistant Top, 9/16"
Front Hub
Steel, 36H x 14G x 135mm, with 3/8" Bolt-On Axle
Rear Hub
Steel, 36H x 14G x 170mm, with 3/8" Bolt-On Axle (FOR FREEWHEEL)
Rims
Alloy, Single Wall, Painted with Machined SW
Front Wheel
26" x 80mm x 36H x 14G Alloy-Fat Tire Cruiser, Bolt-On
Rear Wheel
26" x 80mm x 36H x 14G Alloy-Fat Tire Cruiser with KT Coaster Brake, Bolt-On
Spokes
14G Stainless Steel with CP Brass Nipples
Tires
26" x 3.5" Crusher, Black with White Pin Stripe
Tubes
26 x 3.5', Schrader Valve
Kickstand
Alloy, Center Mount
Weight Limit
250 Lbs.
Weight
40 Lbs.
desertguns

Re: Sun Crusher 7 Speed Fat Cruiser $489.00 !!

Postby Houndog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:38 am

Damn DG !!! You got the FAT bug!!! Awesome!!
Houndog

Postby Houndog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:40 am

A UGV guy has one,says he had to change the brakes set up as well.....http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/th ... -crusher-7
Houndog

Postby desertguns » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:28 am

Houndog wrote:Damn DG !!! You got the FAT bug!!! Awesome!!
Yup! It is the most practical kind of bike for this terrain. The Deception will still get a fair amount of use, particularly in the mountains and longer desert rides in the winter. But a fat bike is my new primary go-to bike for the desert.

Houndog wrote:A UGV guy has one,says he had to change the brakes set up as well.....http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/th ... -crusher-7
Thanks for the link. I asked the bike shop guy if the 4" Vee Rubber & Devist8or tires will fit. He said they "should", which of course means he doesn't know. I'll talk to the owner this week be be sure he understands that if the tires don't fit, the bike will be returned. The spec does say 80mm rims (instead of the usual 100mm fatty) but don't see that as a problem. Also says 3.5" tires but the guy at Velo measured his at over 4". Clearances are a big concern but I think the owner is cool enough to work with me.

One of the employees at the shop said that tire selection really doesn't matter on a fat bike. I have found that people that make that comment have not actually ridden in mud & XC desert conditions.

EDIT - The dearth of knowledge regarding this bike is strange. I emailed Sun Bike myself & got this reply about the tires from J&B Imports:

"The Crusher Coaster Brake model may be able to accommodate these tires, but
we have not tried a tire like this on this frame to know for certain.
Especially with the knobs on the tire this may too aggresive.
The frame was designed with a 4.0 tire, but a rounded street tread.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards
G Mendenhall"

Not the bike I asked about which prompted another email. I don't expect an answer...
Last edited by desertguns on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
desertguns

Postby Houndog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Cant wait to see it with them tires!!!
Houndog

Postby desertguns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Guess I'm getting too cynical in my old age. I did get a reply from Gary Mendenhall at J&B Sales who turned out to be very helpful. At first he said a wider tire wouldn't fit inside the calipers. So I asked how they or Sun measure the tires. The 3 1/2" width posted at the Sun website refers to tread width, not sidewall to sidewall width.

I don't think the Vee Mission or Devastator will be a problem. Just in case, I did talk to my LBS again. They say if I bring them the tires before I take the bike home, they'll install each & check fit. I think they're curious as well. So all is good - and will be better if my tires fit 8-)
desertguns

Postby to the beach » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 pm

That's cool! A cruiser that will actually traverse the sand on the beach.
to the beach

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 am

to the beach wrote:That's cool! A cruiser that will actually traverse the sand on the beach.

I am somewhat skeptical as to how well this bike will perform in soft sand and/or snow, myself; even with bigger (wider) tires. I suspect that the frame geometry would mean you'd have to get up off the saddle a lot.

Sue and I rode a couple of "real" MTB fatbikes last February in the snow near Winthrop, WA and they were amazing! Mine was a Pugsley. I don't recall what Sue's was. We saw them in front of a shop and stopped to look at them and the owners just told us to go for a ride!!!

Until someone at Pacific Cycles can come up with something similar in a big box bike format I am either going to sit on the sidelines or plunk down the bucks for a Surly! :mrgreen:

I am not getting any younger!!!

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby desertguns » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:12 pm

The thing about dry deep sand is, whether you're on a $200 Beast or a $2000 Pug, you just can't do much in it. Gears will help big time, and you shouldn't have to stand too often, but you just can't go very fast other than in a straight line. You can't bank in a turn & you have to turn like an aircraft carrier. The tires are "floating" on the sand. Lean over the front tire & you can do a little better turning, but there's not enough stickem for much control. You're still pushing sand into sand. The wheel is just along for the ride. But it is fun :)
desertguns

Postby Peatbog » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi,

I am that guy on UGV that bought one of these. I can tell you this: I already got paid back in fun what I paid for the bike. I got mine for $425 or somewhere around there, changed the handlebars (pulled back too far for me), seat (I had a leather seat I liked already), and changed the brakes.

I also changed the tires after riding for awhile. I ride a lot on crushed limestone and that means a lot of sharp little rocks. The tread design on the tires seemed to trap these rocks in the tires and they would work their way in and poke a hole in my tube--over and over and over again. This was not a problem on pavement, so your results may vary.

But even with the changes I made and the cost to make them, I am very happy with this bike and glad I bought it. If you are interested in what I did, click on that link above to UGV and check it out.

Oh, and I just found this website. It's great.
Peatbog

Next

Return to Fat Bikes