Sun Crusher 7 Speed Fat Cruiser $489.00 !!

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Sun Crusher 7 Speed Fat Cruiser $489.00 !!

Postby Houndog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 pm

I agree about the upright ridin position,I rode my buddys niner..holy crap I thought I was gonna fall forward...How in the hell do guys ride like that?

My" Mary" style bars give me a decent upright postion on my Deception...
Houndog

Postby desertguns » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Houndog wrote:I think they are 32 hole 135mm.......no go...Only thing I see that fits is chopper us 3 speed SA hub...

Yeah, I see you're right. I saw a Nuvinci laced to a Origin8 80mm x 26" rim on ebay. Wonder if the Origin8 fat bikes are 135mm. I did look at the 3 speed chopper hub when I got the Beast but didn't think it would hold up under my riding conditions. Just need to be happy with what I've got for now 8-)

Need a pic of your Deception with the new bars ;)
desertguns

Postby Houndog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:33 pm

They ain't new, look in my build thread....I also have the same bars on my Beast.....
They are Misfit FU bars...
Houndog

Postby Peatbog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:26 am

I have Black Floyd tires on my Crusher 7 now and though relatively smooth, they perform well at slower speeds. They do become a bit squirrely under cornering or when the ground starts moving by quicker. Still, I got plenty of traction even on uphill slopes as long as I kept speed under control. The gearing drops low enough to make the bike reasonably practical for this type of riding also. However, it is clear that this is a cruiser bike and not a mountain bike...well, if you like cruising through the snow it is fine. If you want to play mountain bike, the gearing and brakes and overall layout of the bike isn't the best. The bike is okay actually and plenty of fun too; it is just not a mountain bike.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/thread/2573/meanderings-sun-crusher-7?page=6
Peatbog

Postby desertguns » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks for the info, Pete, but those look like totally the wrong tread pattern for snow or wet conditions off road. Fine for the street, dry sand or hard pack, as long as it's not loose over hard pack. Based on the photo, you might try a Vee Mission. I run a Mission on the back & Devastator on the front & they stick well in slop, soft media & loose over hard pack. Have not tried them in snow yet but will in a few weeks.
desertguns

Postby Peatbog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Those tires are totally wrong, but at slower speeds they work okay. I plan to keep this bike as a cruiser whilst I debate what fat mountain bike to buy. The money I would spend to make this one the way I would like it to be for a mountain bike would be better spent on something like a Motobecane of some kind.
Peatbog

Postby Peatbog » Mon May 26, 2014 12:38 pm

I became tired of the flat black paint and went with Rustolem in a can metallic blue and silver. The pinstripes are tape. The lettering is from:

http://doityourselflettering.com/create/

If you "weed and tape" the lettering yourself, it is very cheap.

I have another bike I built, a klunker, called the "Bunny Hopper," and since this bike was called the Crusher when I bought it, I figured those big tires will roll over anything so this is the Bunny Crusher.

The chainguard has a bad spot in it because of a giant mosquito choosing a bad time to commit suicide, but otherwise all went well. It will be going back together soon.
Peatbog

Postby to the beach » Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Nice paint work and the decals are trick to boot. :D
to the beach

Postby Peatbog » Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Thank you.

Coming together now:

Peatbog

Postby to the beach » Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I would consider some matching handgrips to go with the seat....stunning no less
to the beach

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes