20" Mongoose Boys' Massif fAT bIKE

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: 20" Mongoose Boys' Massif fAT bIKE

Postby 7up » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Thats what id like to do with mine.I can't wait to see what it looks like with a sissy bar and banana seat.Awesome idea!
Panasonic DX1000
Nishiki Manitoba (Japan) 1000w48v
Specialized Comp Stump Jumper
Dahon Formula S18
Mongoose Beast * Brutus * Dolonite * Massif ......Like they say "Once You Go Fat........."
7up

Postby desertguns » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 pm

7up wrote:Thats what id like to do with mine.I can't wait to see what it looks like with a sissy bar and banana seat.Awesome idea!
Guess Pete liked your idea. 8-)

Pete - Disk brakes - The inner pad does not move. You want to make sure it is almost touching the rotor. 8-) It is fixed. Only the outer pad moves into the rotor, and clamps the the rotor into the inner pad.
desertguns

Postby 7up » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 am

Peatbog wrote:Got a torch and a vise, starting a sissy bar. Gonna need it if I'm putting a banana seat on it.

@Peatbog / Im very curious on how you will mount the sissybar.The caliper is in the way on one side and no provisions like on other frames for mounting anything.
Panasonic DX1000
Nishiki Manitoba (Japan) 1000w48v
Specialized Comp Stump Jumper
Dahon Formula S18
Mongoose Beast * Brutus * Dolonite * Massif ......Like they say "Once You Go Fat........."
7up

Postby Peatbog » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:12 pm

The sissy bar will go behind the caliper and I will weld a tab on the sissy bar that reaches forward to the axle.
Peatbog

Postby Peatbog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Peatbog

Postby Peatbog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Bearings didn't have grease, just a veeeeeeeeeeery light coat of oil--just enough not to be bone dry.

Peatbog

Postby desertguns » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:07 pm

A work of art, Mr Bog. Nothing like having a machine shop at your disposal as well. At some point would you mind posting a pic of it next to another bike. I can't get a sense of scale in the pics. I also now see your main gig is at UV, so thanks for posting here too.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Peatbog wrote:Bearings didn't have grease, just a veeeeeeeeeeery light coat of oil--just enough not to be bone dry.

So many people don't check - just assemble the bike (or buy assembled) and ride, then wonder why the wheel bearing or BB is shot in six months. Many of us have warned folks but the urge to get riding is sometimes overwhelming I guess.
desertguns

Postby Peatbog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:34 pm

I wouldn't have checked the bearings myself either, but spinning the pedals made it obvious the bearings were too tight. So I figured I'd take it apart and check since I had to adjust it anyway. I think I need to take the headset apart now also and check for grease. Heck, I probably ought to check the wheel bearings also.

I'll get a picture of the Massif next to another bike soon.

I do like UGV, and bigboxbikes and UGV have one great thing in common: NO BIKES SNOBS! It is about bikes, riding them, and having fun with them and other people who do. Price doesn't matter. There are very few websites with that kind of attitude. I am glad I found two of them.
Peatbog

Postby Houndog » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:17 am

Peatbog wrote:I wouldn't have checked the bearings myself either, but spinning the pedals made it obvious the bearings were too tight. So I figured I'd take it apart and check since I had to adjust it anyway. I think I need to take the headset apart now also and check for grease. Heck, I probably ought to check the wheel bearings also.

I'll get a picture of the Massif next to another bike soon.

I do like UGV, and bigboxbikes and UGV have one great thing in common: NO BIKES SNOBS! It is about bikes, riding them, and having fun with them and other people who do. Price doesn't matter. There are very few websites with that kind of attitude. I am glad I found two of them.

Amen to that Peat..
Houndog

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes