Mongoose Dolomite Adult Fat Bike

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Dolomite Adult Fat Bike

Postby EBIKEDREAMS » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Does anyone know the bottom bracket size on the dolomite ?
EBIKEDREAMS

Postby momikey » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm

It's 100mm, but the total length of the spindle is normal than longer because of the rear being 190.
momikey

Postby EBIKEDREAMS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Can somebody give me a link to purchase the proper tool to remove the cassette on the Dolomite ?
EBIKEDREAMS

Postby TucsonBamaEngr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:24 pm

Ebike, I have this one, and it works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Freewhe ... B001B6RGXG
TucsonBamaEngr

Postby coloniera » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Just got released from the cartel mid sentence abduction!
Wanted to give desertguns a big thanks for his help with this very informative thread.
Thanks to him I looked twice at this bike and found after grabbing a ride from a friend that it's essentially too tight a fit for me (I'm a 'portly' 5'11" used to a 18+ 29er) for one and on the other found my true love in the new 29+ fatbike concept.
As I'm changing home site and work pace I got me a new regular 29er from Bike Island to get me up in pace (and hopefully loose a few inches from the gutt) to my new fat bike project.
From reading similar threads on Mtbr (incredibly encyclopedic that one) and Ratrod bikes I concluded that getting a Dolo was too involved a proposition, even if it fitted me. It's a really limited upgrade platform and unless you have a lot of very specific spare parts lying around it can get pretty expensive pretty fast.
By the way and speaking of expensive, did you guys know that Wallyworld is now selling the Dolo for $192?
Motobecane Fantom 29
coloniera

Postby ridinfattie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:12 pm

I am looking for a basic set of tools to operate on my new Dolo. Is there a kit out there that has necessary things I need to strip down the Dolomite for a regrease /rebulild?? Or should I just grab a few particular specialty tools considering I have most of your basic hand tools? Thanks in advance!
ridinfattie

Postby momikey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 am

ridinfattie wrote:I am looking for a basic set of tools to operate on my new Dolo. Is there a kit out there that has necessary things I need to strip down the Dolomite for a regrease /rebulild?? Or should I just grab a few particular specialty tools considering I have most of your basic hand tools? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the delay in response, you are going to need a 15mm wrench for the hubs and I think pedal. A 17mm wrench as well. Crank arm removal tool for is only like $5 on amazon, freewheel tool is about $7. To remove the BB area you will need a large adjustable or monkey wrench and a sledge. In a few of the threads I think we posted photos about how to remove that part.

Most people have been buying one tool at a time, I also wanted a kit but my friend told me to do it this way, and I have everything I need for not much cash.
momikey

Postby blkangel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:23 pm

momikey wrote:
ridinfattie wrote:I am looking for a basic set of tools to operate on my new Dolo. Is there a kit out there that has necessary things I need to strip down the Dolomite for a regrease /rebulild?? Or should I just grab a few particular specialty tools considering I have most of your basic hand tools? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the delay in response, you are going to need a 15mm wrench for the hubs and I think pedal. A 17mm wrench as well. Crank arm removal tool for is only like $5 on amazon, freewheel tool is about $7. To remove the BB area you will need a large adjustable or monkey wrench and a sledge. In a few of the threads I think we posted photos about how to remove that part.

Most people have been buying one tool at a time, I also wanted a kit but my friend told me to do it this way, and I have everything I need for not much cash.

Agree, I would just buy tools as you need them, the kits in my opinion have some unnecessary tools or tools that you will already have.
2014 Redline D880
2014 Motobecane Boris
2008 Scott Speedster S40
2008 KHS CX200
1994 GT Tequesta (Converted to Single Speed)
Mongoose DJ682
blkangel

Postby momikey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Just realizing I haven't been updating this thread with any of my winter pics.

So this has been far my most pleasurable winter in the northeast after living up here for 28 years and never being a skier. The bike got me out every weekend, putting me at about 600-700 miles on the bike so far, everything has been holding up pretty well. I have finished modding both bikes a few months ago and have just been doing lots of riding.

Both bikes are using:
One one Floaters
Primo pedals
22/32 shimano atlus crank sets
Race face ride bars
adjustable stem
avid brake levers
BB7's on red wheel dolo
know off bb5's on silver wheel dolo
26x2.75 q tubes.
YST cupset
new seat posts and saddles

First ride in October.

momikey

Postby ridinfattie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:26 am

blkangel wrote:
momikey wrote:Sorry for the delay in response, you are going to need a 15mm wrench for the hubs and I think pedal. A 17mm wrench as well. Crank arm removal tool for is only like $5 on amazon, freewheel tool is about $7. To remove the BB area you will need a large adjustable or monkey wrench and a sledge. In a few of the threads I think we posted photos about how to remove that part.

Agree, I would just buy tools as you need them, the kits in my opinion have some unnecessary tools or tools that you will already have.

Thanks for the input! Alot of great great info here. There are several different freewheel and crank removers, are there any in particular you could recommend? I've been watching those Bikehand tool sets on Amazon and they have all hit an all time lowest price across the board.. Almost grabbed one but did not for fear that it wouldn't have the few compatible tools I actually need, and cant get any feedback from few people I have reached out to.

Can't wait to start having some fun with this bike!
ridinfattie

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes