Riding fat tire bikes on singletrack in midwest?

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Riding fat tire bikes on singletrack in midwest?

Postby Destr0 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:49 pm

So I did my first trail ride in almost a decade this weekend. Lots of nice people, lots of cool bikes and trails. What I was quite surprised by were a couple guys were riding fat tire bikes. This is the Midwest and the trails are all pretty much either packed dirt or packed dirt with roots or packed dirt with rocks and roots...

I just do not comprehend why someone would ride a bike like that on trails like this. Is there a reason that I am missing or is it because they 1) are trendy and 2 ) look cool
Destr0

Re: Riding fat tire bikes on singletrack in midwest?

Postby to the beach » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:41 pm

If I owned a fat bike in those parts, I might want to go off the beaten path, trail blaze etc.
to the beach

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Pretty much what "to the beach" said, as far as I'm concerned. Or any bike. I'm just not enough of a joiner to ride organized trails when there are thousands of miles of Jeep tracks in the wilderness to explore.

But if a fat bike were all I had and I had already paid so much for it that I couldn't afford a hardtail or FS and I wanted to ride trails with a few hundred other bicycle riders the, heck yes! I would absolutely take the bike I had.

But, having said all that, I suspect that they just wanted to look trendy and cool. :P

Craig :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Destr0 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Sadly most places to ride here in the Midwest do not allow trail blazing - in the trail system we were riding this weekend it is forbidden. Ride on posted trails only or you risk a ticket and or the county closing the park to Mt. Bikes.

I just guess I just don't get it. If I were someplace with sand or snow trails that would be cool but the tree huggers have all the trails here closed when it is wet or snowy.
Destr0

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Destr0 wrote:Sadly most places to ride here in the Midwest do not allow trail blazing - in the trail system we were riding this weekend it is forbidden. Ride on posted trails only or you risk a ticket and or the county closing the park to Mt. Bikes.

You misunderstand me... I do not ride bicycle trails. I ride old, forgotten tracks. Often wagon trails. Usually into areas where there are no other bike riders. I found a stretch of the old "Cariboo Trail" a few years back and rode that up a path that was so difficult they used as many as 24 mules in single file to pack gear headed for the gold fields in Canada.

There are no organized bike trails within about 50 or 75 miles of where I live. But realyl, it's the adventure that I enjoy. Knowing that I am riding a trail blazed by people trying to earn a living 150 years ago. Most of the trails I ride are what we would now call "Jeep Track" or "Double Track" but they were really wagon trails that followed original Native American trails.

There is one that I would dearly love to find... an rumored Native American trail that led from a high plateau down into a chain of alkali lakes laying in a rimrock canyon that was carved by the Missoula floods about 12,000 years ago. I have found trails out... but have not yet found the trai lin.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby blkangel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Destr0 wrote:Sadly most places to ride here in the Midwest do not allow trail blazing - in the trail system we were riding this weekend it is forbidden. Ride on posted trails only or you risk a ticket and or the county closing the park to Mt. Bikes.

I just guess I just don't get it. If I were someplace with sand or snow trails that would be cool but the tree huggers have all the trails here closed when it is wet or snowy.

You do realize that trails are closed when wet because riding them when wet and soft destroys them. It causes ruts and when it drys it makes it very difficult to ride. Ever try riding deeply rutted dry trails? Or perhaps you would like to come out to trail work days and fix all of the trails in Palos which is where I assume you are referring to. All organized trails that are "maintained" close or advise you to not ride them for that reason because it destroys them.
2014 Redline D880
2014 Motobecane Boris
2008 Scott Speedster S40
2008 KHS CX200
1994 GT Tequesta (Converted to Single Speed)
Mongoose DJ682
blkangel

Return to Fat Bikes