Joined Cult Fat Bike tonight!!!

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Joined Cult Fat Bike tonight!!!

Postby Destr0 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Not exactly a BBB, but a great value so in the same ballpark. Ordered a Motobecane Sturgis Bullet tonight. Doesn't ship until October (or probably November if the thread on MTBR is correct).

Talked the wife into letting me get it for my birthday/Xmas present. My birthday is next week- but the bike will be delivered in November, close enough for Xmas. :-)

Destr0

Re: Joined Cult Fat Bike tonight!!!

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:56 am

Very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby zmbhntr » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:15 pm

What made you choose the Sturgis over the NightTrain?
zmbhntr

Postby Destr0 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 am

I chose the Sturgis because of the price point - The night train bullet is $200 more. The only parts difference between the two are the shifters/derailleurs and the tires. Tires are consumable and the Vee rubber doesn't get good reviews anyway, and the X7 vs X9 - I will be switching the shifters to grip shift (my preference, and with winter riding the main reason for the fat bike, grip shifters work better with gloves/mittens) anyway, and the performance difference between X7 and X9 is pretty minimal. That is something I can replace later easy enough if I choose. The X7 type 2 will be my first clutch type derailleur...

:-)
Destr0

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 am

At $1295 it's certainlyl not a big box bike... but I like it. I agree totally about grip shifters; I have bikes with both trigger and grip (and two bikes with downtube friction shifters LOL) and the grip shifters are my preference. Especially for the front derailleur because a grip shifter allows for some adjustment to stop chain rattle.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... tbikes.htm

I've been excited about fat bikes for a couple of years now. Those Motobecanes look great. Looking forward to your report. My wife wants to sell all her bikes and just get one fatbike. :P
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Destr0 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:57 am

wa_desert_rat wrote:At $1295 it's certainlyl not a big box bike... but I like it. I agree totally about grip shifters; I have bikes with both trigger and grip (and two bikes with downtube friction shifters LOL) and the grip shifters are my preference. Especially for the front derailleur because a grip shifter allows for some adjustment to stop chain rattle.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... tbikes.htm

I've been excited about fat bikes for a couple of years now. Those Motobecanes look great. Looking forward to your report. My wife wants to sell all her bikes and just get one fatbike. :P

I know, not exactly a big box bike, but I am a cheapskate at heart and wanted to share with my BBB friends. :-) I have had bikes that cost over $7K to build but still appreciate anyone who rides and the BBB offerings have really upped the game. I still enjoy riding my Mongoose, even though I have now bought two other "better" bikes. The Sturgis is fairly budget minded for a fat bike. I put 10 miles on a Salsa Bucksaw 1 this weekend at a demo day and am going to order one ($1799 for just the frameset, complete bike $4999). :shock: :shock: :shock:
Destr0

Postby blkangel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Wow just saw this. Did you get the Bucks Saw yet? I recently got a Boris and I am wondering what your impressions are between the Moto and the Buck Saw?
2014 Redline D880
2014 Motobecane Boris
2008 Scott Speedster S40
2008 KHS CX200
1994 GT Tequesta (Converted to Single Speed)
Mongoose DJ682
blkangel

Return to Fat Bikes