Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 at Walmart.com $487.34

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 at Walmart.com $487.34

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:09 pm

My bicycling pretty much stops around 30-degrees F unless someone lets me use their fatbike in the snow. So this morning, with temps well below 30F, I was mooching around walmart.com looking at bikes and decided to see whether WallyWorld has more than just the Dolomite in adult fat tire bikes. Lo and behold! What to my wondering eyes should appear but a jolly fat bike with 21 speeds made by Kawasaki and appropriately named "Sumo".

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sumo-4.0-Fat- ... e/38506078

Under $500, aluminum frame, fat tires, 21-speeds, disc brakes (probably mechanical but what the heck...). Pretty sweet.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 at Walmart.com $487.34

Postby nevershoutchris » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:22 pm

No reviews.
nevershoutchris

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 am

nevershoutchris wrote:No reviews.

Buy one and review it for us. ;)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:41 am

There are a couple of reviews on Amazon but nothing detailed. For $500 I'd expect a free hub, not a freewheel. And I'd want to be sure of the bottom bracket sizing too. I think the Bikes Direct Bullseye Gravity Monster in 2x8 is still the best $500 fat bike out there. Uses a standardized cartridge BB, 22T/32T up front, 11-34 in back, SRAMx4, etc... And there are full specs on the website. Crappy tires but still best bang for the buck in a fat bike I'd say. I'd own one had I not been so impatient & bought the Dolomite at $225.00
desertguns

Postby Peatbog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 pm

I like several of those bikesdirect fat bikes. In fact, I almost ordered one of them (I forget which one) a year or two ago. But there was a three months wait or something like that, might have been longer. I contacted bikesdirect and mentioned that if I paid with paypal and there was a problem I would not have paypal protection because their consumer protection plan ends at 75 days (if I remember correctly) after payment. I also mentioned that if I paid by credit card that the refund protection of the card would expire before I got the bike. So I suggested that to protect myself if there was a problem with the bike, that I only give them a down payment and then pay the rest when the bike was going to be shipped.

I received a rather snippy reply from them. So I didn't buy anything from them because of the attitude they expressed. They may be fine to deal with and they may take care of the customer if anything is wrong with the bike, but really, they don't need my money months before I receive a bike.
Peatbog

Postby momikey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:39 am

Mongoose Vinson will be out soon, sub $500probably with22/32/40up front 8speed cassette out back, free hub and q/r skewers, 72tpi tires, 100mm rims still, sealed BB and sram x4 components and the best part is 35lbs. I think it will make a great xmas gift for the lady!
momikey

Postby steady eddie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:04 am

Mongoose Vinson is here:

forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/mongoose-vinson-938785-2.html

Only one good pic of it though..bummer..enjoy.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby tigris99 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Vinson from what ive read looks promising option outside of bikes direct for non insanely over priced fat bikes. No understanding how people buy bikes that have rigid fame/fork, specced no better than a regular mtb that's half the price just to have wide tires.

Personally I'm going bikes direct when I get my bonus in January because I have solid product support and can get frame design I want for >= $1k (which one I choose depending). Just wish bd would offer frame/fork instead of complete bikes only since I have brakes, cockpit parts, and drive train except crankset already.
Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
tigris99

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:58 am

tigris99 wrote:Vinson from what ive read looks promising option outside of bikes direct for non insanely over priced fat bikes. No understanding how people buy bikes that have rigid fame/fork, specced no better than a regular mtb that's half the price just to have wide tires.

Personally I'm going bikes direct when I get my bonus in January because I have solid product support and can get frame design I want for >= $1k (which one I choose depending). Just wish bd would offer frame/fork instead of complete bikes only since I have brakes, cockpit parts, and drive train except crankset already.

You can check bikeisland.com. That is their outlet and they have just frames and dorks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby desertguns » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:49 pm

BoomerBrian wrote:
tigris99 wrote:Vinson from what ive read looks promising option outside of bikes direct for non insanely over priced fat bikes. No understanding how people buy bikes that have rigid fame/fork, specced no better than a regular mtb that's half the price just to have wide tires.

You can check bikeisland.com. That is their outlet and they have just frames and dorks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm thinking you meant, "forks" but I don't know the employees at bike island either... :P Good ol' tapatalk...
desertguns

Return to Fat Bikes