Mongoose Dolomite Mods

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Dolomite Mods

Postby Scar223 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Just got a Dolomite a few weeks ago, want to mod it up a bit, new to fat bikes and am looking for suggestions on parts and web sites to go to for them. Thanks for any info or ideas. JBR
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Re: Mongoose Dolomite Mods

Postby momikey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:34 pm

You should start at the MTBR forum, you can pick up a lot of info on there. Then the other thread on here has a few posts about mods and rides, have fun with it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dolo-semi-wild-mongoose-dolomite-902410.html
momikey

Postby JohnnyMullet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Screw the other forum! You started here, so finish here! The best mods you can do with that will start with weight reuction. The easiest way is to start with the seat post, handlebars, and then components. I think the visual look of the stickers on this bike are not too flashy, so removing the stickers on the frame is up to you. For now, ride the hell out of it!
Ashtabula Crank Bicycle Club
JohnnyMullet

Postby momikey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Well, there is also a 14 page thread started by Desertguns on THIS forum. And if weight is a big concer, which it is on this bike....

New tubes and tires will drop 11lbs, and that's not a typo. Eleven pounds from rubber for about $150(all rolling weight). More than half the price of the bike but it transforms the bike in every way.

But I would still read the other thread before I even assemble the thing if I were you, and I have been trying to push people over to this site in droves from the FB group
momikey

Postby Scar223 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I am looking at reducing weight first and foremost. I was looking at wheels and tires. The $150 option is attractive but not able to locate that online. I am finding wheels for much more than that. Also will look into seat posts and handle bars.
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Postby momikey » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

The $150 option I based off of my set up, On-One floater tires around $60 each and 4 pounds less each than stock. And Q-tubes on ebay 1lb lighter each. If you look on the Facebook page I think the links have been posted a lot.
momikey

Postby Scar223 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 am

So far just new pedals. Went with gold. Might get a grill to match. New tubes should be in today. Thinking of gettng the 45 north tires but not sure they will help with weight. But w a name like husker du how can they be bad. Have about 3 or 4 rides in on the dolo and will ride today. Great bike and so much fun to ride. I was on the trail the other day and passed a family. The young son stopped in his tracks as I rode by and says "awsoooome, dad look thats awesome!" Dad blankly stares and replies, " I know son, I know..."
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Postby momikey » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Scar223 wrote:So far just new pedals. Went with gold. Might get a grill to match. New tubes should be in today. Thinking of gettng the 45 north tires but not sure they will help with weight. But w a name like husker du how can they be bad. Have about 3 or 4 rides in on the dolo and will ride today. Great bike and so much fun to ride. I was on the trail the other day and passed a family. The young son stopped in his tracks as I rode by and says "awsoooome, dad look thats awesome!" Dad blankly stares and replies, " I know son, I know..."

Post up pics of the pedals when you get a chance, I haven't seen gold before. All the fat bikes seem to get comments every time you leave the house.

Here is a list of fat bike tire weights, should give you an idea of how much you can lose, add a pound or two extra off when your tubes come in!
http://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-weights-for-fat-bikes/

Stock weights for reference.
Tires 6.23 lbs (2829g) each
Tubes 1.55 lbs (705g) each
Rim strip 96g (2.35oz) each
Complete front wheel 14.2 lbs (6441g)
Complete rear wheel 15.9 lbs (7212g)

White or any color (on-one floater) are about 1/2lb heavier than the set we have on on one floaters in black. The 45North tire is a real nice looking piece of rubber too!

White also makes it hard to spot the bike in winter.

momikey

Postby Scar223 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:14 pm

Well. Can't load pic. Files are too big.
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Postby Scar223 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 am

After 3 or 4 rides on asphalt trail with a detour off road on a small trail through woods, I took the dolo out on what I guess is a "single track". 3 1/2 mile track or trail through wooded area I brake local park. Bike did fine but think w mods to drop weight it would do better. Also need to work on gears. Seems to not want to stay in first gear. Other wise it was way fun.

Side note: being in running shape is different than being in biking shape.
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Next

Return to Fat Bikes