Convince me i want a FAT Bike

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Convince me i want a FAT Bike

Postby morando6784 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Tell me the benefits of these fat bikes? I see them and they look big, heavy, and slow. Are they? Maybe if you gear them down they run right threw the trails I think to myself. They are cool looking.... but they look hard to pedal up anything.....I don't know what to think of these things. They seem to be the craze right know but is that it just a fad people are jumping on cause they look different and turn heads or are they fun to ride. Im on the edge of trying one but I need you guys to convince me to take that chance. All my trails I ride are rocky rooty up and down. So is this something that would be fun to take out there?
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Re: Convince me i want a FAT Bike

Postby tigris99 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:47 pm

There's alot and I mean ALOT of ppl that own fat bikes now that also have mid/high end brand name stuff that spends most it's time decorating said riders garage, cause their on the fatties.

But their not for everyone. Mainly if you ride alot of sand, snow, mud or other stuff that is a nightmare on a skinny bike, fat bike will do wonders.

Ya they are a bit heavier in the hill climbs, but just use a lower gear, the rest is rather fun. Normally not as overall fast as a skinny bike on perfect trails but when it gets rough a fatty just rolls.

My plan cause of where I live, I have my nice 29er ht for normal season, but buying a BD fat bike for the rest of the time. Too much fun, especially when there's no trails.
tigris99

Postby morando6784 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 pm

I do a lot of climbing nasty stuff and going down the same. I think there cool lookin but not sure it would work were I'm at. I wish i could try one
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Postby to the beach » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 pm

If you buy from WalMart, you can spend 30 days deciding if you want to return it, even if it was shipped to you.
to the beach

Postby tigris99 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm

Other option being its usually free, find one of the brand name companies that are doing a demo day at your trails. Ya their fat bikes are way over priced imo, it'll give you a good idea as to weather you like it or not.

Like I said their not for everyone. I have no desire to have one as my main trail bike, just for when trails are closed/covered in snow.
tigris99

Return to Fat Bikes