Mongoose Malus

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Malus

Postby Scar223 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:55 am

http://t.sportsauthority.com/products/59512606

Looks like a silver dolomite. Anyone have one?
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Re: Mongoose Malus

Postby poriggity » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 am

Interesting.. I've noticed Walmart has been out of stock on the Dolo for a while.. I wonder if this will be replacing it?
poriggity

Postby FatGooseRider » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:59 am

I have a Malus that I picked up a couple of weeks ago and that I've been riding and working on ever since. It's not a bad bike, and from what I've been finding on the Dolomite forums since I've had this thing I don't think it's simply a Dolo re-color. The front fork arms are tapered, and it and seems to be a different angle (axle to head tube) from the Dolo. Looking at pictures of the Dolo, the frame geometry seems to be a little different as well, although the Malus shares the same grip-shift 7-speed Shimano drive train as the Dolo and the same questionable mechanical disk brakes. The brakes actually aren't that bad once you get them broken in and adjusted, but mine still shriek like a banshee if I have to brake hard going down hill even after about 75 miles of wear-in, so I'll be looking to upgrade to either better mechanical calipers or hydros and larger rotors as soon as is reasonably practical.

I've seen reports on the forums that the Dolos weigh in at 45+lbs out of the box, but my Malus was just over 42 before I added the rear rack and water bottle holder. I have little doubt that I can get this thing down to around 35 lbs without too much expense or drama. Don't worry, I'm not trying to throw all of the carbon and titanium parts at that thing that I can to try to make it lighter. I don't have the budget for that. I'm looking at new tires (and probably drilling the rims and going either full-on tubeless or ghetto-tubeless at the same time), new saddle and seat post, new peddles, new handlebars, and maybe new shifters and brake levers. We'll see how this goes. I'm looking to create the ultimate Pacific Northwest Bike-Packing rig on the cheap.

I should be able to acquire a decent digital scale in the next week or so, so I'll attempt to refrain from any major alterations until I can document the stock weight of all of the components and do a pictorial spread both of the bike together and of the components. After that, it's game-on.
FatGooseRider

Postby Scar223 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for the info and post FatGooseRider! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more on your bike!
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Return to Fat Bikes