Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:39 pm

So this is on sale at Academy Sports:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mongoose-mens-malus-26-in-7-speed-fat-tire-cruiser-bicycle#repChildCatid=4059684
10742718.jpg
Mongoose Malus 2017
10742718.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 831 times

Around $200.00, I bought it and I was on my way. With all I've seen about the Dolomite, and my own experience with the single speed Brutus, I was expecting the same with this..

But it's different

I studied the pic pretty hard, noticed the drilled rims, and I started looking closer. This bike has a few refinements that I really like.
On the scales here at home, 2 different scales tell the same story. 43lb without the kickstand.That's 5lb less than the single speed Brutus.
The tapered fork looks awesome, and could be lighter than the old straight stock fork.
The steel seat tube is knurled all the way down, and it's plenty long enough to accommodate my long legs. Once set, I don't see how it could go anywhere.
The shifter, brake levers and 700mm steel handlebar is all crap, but the stem is a short and strong 60mm. The 700mm handlebar is awesome compared to a lot of the single speed fatbikes.
The rear derailleur is a Shimano Tourney, not high end by any means, but not the flat unbranded version I've been seeing so much lately.
The disc brake calipers use the square Shimano style pads, and I believe an upgrade to a larger disc would improve braking substantially.

Though I know it'll never be a 28lb fatbike, I believe it's going to be all I need when I wanna get my Fat on. lol.. Brakes, bar and stem, seat and probably tires are about all I want to change on this bike. I have an idea of what I want to do with it. I can't wait to see how it comes together and what it looks like when done. Hopefully, if I get back to Daytona this year, I'll be taking this one with me.
Last edited by Tomcat65 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomcat65

Re: Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports

Postby Gravelo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I saw one today at Kmart. It has an internal routing for the shifter cable. Otherwise looks pretty much unchanged except as noted with the drilled rims. Great fun with this bike. I put a better seat and a VeloOrange Crazybar on mine and have had a blast with it.
Gravelo

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:56 pm

2017 Mongoose Malus1.jpg
I love the angle of that fork
2017 Mongoose Malus1.jpg (244.1 KiB) Viewed 802 times

2017 Mongoose Malus2.jpg
2017 Mongoose Malus2.jpg (346.5 KiB) Viewed 802 times

The weight is the worst part, the rest is hard to find fault. I have ordered new brake discs and adapters, and a lot of other stuff I think it needs, but overall, I can't complain much about the ride.

One more for giggles :
Old cat and fatbike1.jpg
LOL
Old cat and fatbike1.jpg (43.53 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 pm

That's pretty cool, might have to be my next purchase look-out on my radar.

I already have a set of lightweight/extraspensive tires for one of these bikes, they are swapped-out discards that I picked up for free in near-new condition. I would go for the bigger rotor and lighter tires and take it from there, maybe shifters, levers and chain, plus wider-range freewheel, ...and are those steel crankarms? I'm thinking that the bike is about the right size for my long-legged 5'9".
dddd

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:02 pm

dddd, I think we're probably close to the same size on a bike, but my 175-180lb frame must be a little different, I'm not in great shape lately.. At 5'9, from the pedal axle straight up the seat tube, to the top of the seat on my bikes, I measure 34 1/4" to 35". That gives me that just right bend in my knee at the bottom of my stroke, the pedal axles just behind the ball of my foot.
Old cat and fatbike2.jpg
Old cat and fatbike2.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 787 times

The bike looks almost small to me with with the red rims, but the tires are nearly as tall as my 2.4x29 on my Schwinn Ascension. Looking at that pic, it's easy to imagine a flip over those bars, but when I'm riding, it feels pretty natural.
Tomcat65

Re: Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Got a plan, getting parts. And a hint at the look I'm going for, though I know I'm not going to end up with a $3000.00 bike
Salsa Beargrease.jpg
Salsa Beargrease.jpg (89.85 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Much compliments and inspiration owed to a dude who calls himself Crumplefoot on another forum for stealing his pic!

So far I've got:
203mm brake discs
Brake disc adapters
Avid FR-5 levers in silver
Jagwire Mountain Pro brake cable set, in silver carbon fiber
A triple chainring crank Shimano FC M171 cheapy with silver crank arms
E-mount front derailleur, Shimano STX FD MC36 E
ODI Rogue grips w/red rings
Anvil seatpost derailleur mount for fatbike, 100mm bottom bracket offset, red
Charge Ladle seat in brown, dyed red, and it looks awesome lol..

On order:
VP brand bottom bracket bearing set
Jagwire shift cable set in silver carbon fiber
Wake 31.8 stem 40mm

Undecided:
Handlebar - width/style, riser or flared drop bars
Seatpost - dropper or solid
shifter set 3x7, thinking either Shimano Deore or Microshift triggers.. Brifters?.. depends on the handlebar really, I may end up with drop bars, but not likely

Ruled out:
Suspension fork
neon ground effects lighting
rear deck wing
Hood scoop
Stickers
Tinted windows
Wide load trailer mirror extensions
160mm travel rear shock
Big white wicker basket
Big boom 1000watts stereo system w/15"subs
Solar battery charger
Spikes
Handlebar streamers
:P

It's coming together... don't tell this one chick, Gone Platinum http://www.bigboxbikes.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2039, she's doesn't need to know any more about my bike budget than she already knows... Anyway, here's a pic of the Anvil front derailleur mount
Anvil front derailleur mount.jpg
Anvil front derailleur mount.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 723 times

And a picture of the drop bars I've considered
flared drop bar.jpg
flared drop bar.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Any input or experience with drops on a fatty is welcome, but I'll most likely go with a low riser 760mm MTB bar and maybe some bar end horns.. Though bar end horns look like they should be called tree and brush hooks.. Opinions welcome on that too!
Tomcat65

Postby Gone Platinum » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Hey, I've never complained about your bike budget. I think the way you compile your additions is not only thrifty, I believe it's the build that makes it just as awesome. So cool that you can customize to your taste.
Gone Platinum

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I spent the day inside while it rained off and on, and took advantage of that time working on this bike. I had started Saturday night late, changing the brake discs and caliper mounts, assembling the handlebar, and growling about all of the plastic parts on my bike stand. Most of the time spent today was fitting and cutting cables, then tuning the whole thing again.

The Jagwire Mountain Pro cable set is great! Especially the brake set. I used the carbon silver set, it's kind of dark, but it looks good on the bike.

The handlebar I chose, is a low to mid 30mm riser, Ibis brand, at 710mm wide. I didn't like the sandblast and black finish, so I polished it to a satin aluminum finish and shot a coat of clear lacquer over it. It looks really good with the bike's silver paint. I added the Black Ops aluminum bar ends and it came out to 740mm wide. A beefy Wake 31.8 x 40mm stem.
Ibis 710 Aluminum riser.jpg
Ibis 710 Aluminum riser.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 636 times

For shifters, I came up with a Shimano trigger style SL-M350 and SL-M360 3x8 set. I like the feel, but it doesn't have the push or pull release like the more expensive 9, 10 and 11 speed sets. And since they each have a different calibration, I was stuck at 8 speed, and took what I could get. I'll just have to take my one finger off of the brake lever and clicky the trigger. I always cut the gear indicator off to make room for the brake levers.
Shimano SL-M360 350.jpg
Shimano SL-M360 350.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 636 times

I copied my Ascension cockpit and went with Avid FR-5 brake levers. I've had good luck with them.. Hey, I'm just not sold on hydraulic brakes. I've read about dependability issues, and that didn't do anything to convince me to spend the extra $$.. though I have noticed how smooth they are. Either way, the larger 203mm discs make a huge difference in the braking performance , even with the mechanical calipers.

The front derailleur is an issue all to itself. The Jagwire set doesn't have enough shift cable housing to do the whole bike, so the delay is compounded. The E mount derailleur isn't going to work without a cable housing stop mounted above the derailleur, so I had to get a different derailleur with a cable housing stop. It's a direct mount, it will mount to the Anvil derailleur mount alone. I hope the mount is strong enough to do the job, I may have to go back and get the Originate derailleur mount, but with it's modular stacked block to make the distance, it doesn't exactly look 100% dependable either. With the cable housing stop on the derailleur itself, that will most likely negate most of the stress this derailleur mount should ever see. If the Anvil would just show up now, I'd be fine.
STX e mount .jpg
Anybody need an E mount derailleur? I'll sell cheap! lol
STX e mount .jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 636 times

This Malus doesn't look stock anymore. It's been run through the Tomcat's wallet. :P
There are still things I'd like to do, but I'm trying to stay within a reasonable budget. Seatpost, tires, SLX rear derailleur, a better crankset.. Probably unreasonable to most people who look and see a 43lb bike, but this one is mine, and it's going to be different. Lots of red, silver, and black, It's looking pretty good.
Pics tomorrow! Going to get it outside and see how much of this made a difference.
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:37 pm

PICS! :D

The bike looks different to me, you might have to clicky on the pic, or scroll down to see the before pic:
2017 Mongoose Malus4a.jpg
2017 Mongoose Malus4a.jpg (382.33 KiB) Viewed 618 times

The polished and clear lacquered bar turned out ok:
2017 Mongoose Malus5.jpg
2017 Mongoose Malus5.jpg (304.11 KiB) Viewed 618 times

I love these brake calipers.. I know they're no name brand, but the surface area of the Shimano style pads, is so much bigger than the Zoom brakes dime sized pad:
2017 Mongoose Malus6.jpg
2017 Mongoose Malus6.jpg (178.09 KiB) Viewed 618 times

Waiting for the front derailleur and the mount. This bike has gotten under my skin and I just plain like looking at it lol..
It doesn't look at all like the bike I started out wanting to steal ideas from, but I like this look too. I just couldn't wrap my head around actually riding drop bars on a fatbike, especially this heavy steel framed beast. I need wide mountain bars and a way short stem to get the front tire up and over, and with the hills around here, the single chainring was not going to work.
BONUS:
On the scales before all of this, it weighed 43lb.
On the scales now, it's down a whopping 1/2lb at 42.5lb :P
Oh well, I'll gain that 1/2 pound back with the front derailleur and it's necessary parts.
Tires are going to be where this big boy loses weight.
It's the same thing every time I start messing with these bikes,
I'll go heavy duty over lightweight most of the time.
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:49 pm

The bar and crankset really brightened up the look for the better I think.

I've had problems with the tiny brake pads not liking the cutout pattern of certain disc rotors, I think the bigger pads smooth out the contact force for less noise, and will wear longer.
dddd

Next

Return to Fat Bikes