24" bike upgrades???

For fans of 24" bicycles!
Forum rules
Be polite! Stay on topic!

24" bike upgrades???

Postby Destr0 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:24 am

So I bought my son a Mongoose Ledge 2.1 boys MT. Bike 24"- and I want to start upgrading his bike with stuff I take off my bike, but not much will go on it.
No disc hangers so my mechanical discs will not be of any use to him. His headset is 1" threaded so my headset and stem likewise will not be any help...

I started looking for wheels and a front shock that will work with the discs but nothing aftermarket really out there... :-(
I guess I should have gotten him a 26" bike instead but he is only 9. He will be ready for a better bike in a year or two so I guess they will just stay in the garage in a box, LOL.
Destr0

Re: 24" bike upgrades???

Postby to the beach » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:28 pm

you might find a dirt jump fork that fits it. If you're going to disc, a 26" fork with 1" steerer should work fine anyhow since it's just an inch taller.

http://www.amazon.com/Capa-76mm-Suspension-threaded-steerer/dp/B000FIMTE2/ref=sr_1_76?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1401737239&sr=1-76&keywords=1%22+threaded+steerer
to the beach

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Pretty much everything but the fork and wheels and crank arm length will be the same as any size bike..If youre just doing light duty trail riding most of it should be fine for his weight..yea, by general standards the forks suck but they work with light weight better than they would with an adult using a stock fork.

I think pretty much everything else you can upgrade..like a stem.seat post,pedals and bars and grips and V- brakes etc....what ever you get you should be able to transfer to a larger bike in those areas for the cockpit type items..Some decent v brake pads make a big difference with the cheaper v brakes...You can get a 1" to 1-1/8 stem adapter to get a stronger stem as well if you go with a different fork or not.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Destr0 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Well so far for upgrades to his 'Goose have been:

Shimano Altus shifters, Alivio front and rear derailleurs, new bars (bent in a crash), new grips, new seat. I am putting new cranks on my XR-Pro and he wants to put my old cranks on his bike. They are 175 vs. his 170 but should be fine. I can always switch them back if he doesn't like them.
I also put on new brake levers (Tektro) and V brakes with some good brake pads (Kool Stop all condition) - that made a huge improvement. He says his bike stops better than mine with the Avid DB3 hydros - but mine has better modulation. I think the weight difference makes a huge impact on stopping too - :-)

Still looking for a better front fork in 1" threadless -
Destr0

Postby to the beach » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:53 pm

1" threaded or threadless? 1" threadless is very rare from 90's MTBs....the only real shot for a suspension fork is to find a threaded 1" fork with a long enough steerer for you to cut to fit so the threads at the top of the steerer will likely be cut off as waste material.

I can't vouch for a SR Suntour XCM, because I've never owned one, however there's one on ebay that is 1" threadless for $60 plus shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Suntour-XCM-Suspension-Fork-26-Black-1-Threadless-/181377951098?pt=US_Forks&hash=item2a3af7e57a
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Rest has a lot of 24" forks available, but they cost more than most 26" forks in the same level (ie, XCM, cappa, Gila).

Suntour has one model that comes on their kid bikes. Think it's M24 or something like that.
Falkon45

Return to 24" Bikes