Genesis Overkill 27.5" Project MTB Worth Upgrading ?

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: Genesis Overkill 27.5" Project MTB Worth Upgrading ?

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 am

To be honest there is nothing wrong with v brakes on the rear...The rear brakes are generally used way less often than the front...You can upgrade to a better v brake system on the rear with no problems.

The front can be upgraded as well if you wanted with a hydraulic brake or even upgraded mechanical.

I see nothing wrong with an upgraded V brake system on the rear and it work just fine over the stock v brakes which are actually not that great..However v brakes are fairly inexpensive and even a Tektro v brake system would be a big improvemnt over the stock v brake.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Thalaron86 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 am

6sharky9 wrote:To be honest there is nothing wrong with v brakes on the rear...The rear brakes are generally used way less often than the front...You can upgrade to a better v brake system on the rear with no problems.

The front can be upgraded as well if you wanted with a hydraulic brake or even upgraded mechanical.

I see nothing wrong with an upgraded V brake system on the rear and it work just fine over the stock v brakes which are actually not that great..However v brakes are fairly inexpensive and even a Tektro v brake system would be a big improvemnt over the stock v brake.

That didn't exactly answer my question >.>, and to be blunt I want disk brakes on both rims, most rims I can find that are within my wheel size that support v brakes are not exactly great for mtb's.

So putting a 2nd disk brake on opens up more options for higher quality rims. Also I donno about you, but have you ever used your Front brake Only, and suddenly at high speed ? This almost always results in you either flying over your handle bars or you and the bike do a flip head 1st lolz. You also loose traction with the rear tire using the front brake before the rear brake.
Thalaron86

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Thalaron86 wrote:
6sharky9 wrote:To be honest there is nothing wrong with v brakes on the rear...The rear brakes are generally used way less often than the front...You can upgrade to a better v brake system on the rear with no problems.

That didn't exactly answer my question >.>, and to be blunt I want disk brakes on both rims, most rims I can find that are within my wheel size that support v brakes are not exactly great for mtb's.

So putting a 2nd disk brake on opens up more options for higher quality rims. Also I donno about you, but have you ever used your Front brake Only, and suddenly at high speed ? This almost always results in you either flying over your handle bars or you and the bike do a flip head 1st lolz. You also loose traction with the rear tire using the front brake before the rear brake.

In a previous post you stated you were looking for wheels that accept both v brake and disc...if youre that set on disc brakes ,then why worry about that....To be frank, i highly doubt youre going to ride the bike hard enough that you are going to have a problem with wheels unless you paid 500 dollars a set for them...I was pointing out good v brakes work just as good as some disc brakes do...No one said anything about slamming on the front (disc) brake and not using the rear ( v brakes) at all...But in any case best of luck on your project.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Thalaron86 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:01 pm

6sharky9 wrote:
Thalaron86 wrote:

In a previous post you stated you were looking for wheels that accept both v brake and disc...if youre that set on disc brakes ,then why worry about that....To be frank, i highly doubt youre going to ride the bike hard enough that you are going to have a problem with wheels unless you paid 500 dollars a set for them...I was pointing out good v brakes work just as good as some disc brakes do...No one said anything about slamming on the front (disc) brake and not using the rear ( v brakes) at all...But in any case best of luck on your project.

I actually have a set of v-brakes that look identical to basically 70% of the Tektro v-brakes, which came stock on the genesis. An as I pointed out I have already searched around for a set of rims that were compatible with rear v-brakes, and theres not many that are compatible that fit 27.5"s *mostly 26"* that are worth using for use on mountain trails. So when I figured that out I decided to just go full disk brakes and get some rims I Know are made for use on mountain trails that also don't cost an arm and a leg. An that is why I started asking about that disk brake adapter from A2Z.
Thalaron86

Postby ssands85 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:25 am

So you get anything done with your overkill? The wife and I just bought bikes from walmart on a whim because we wanted to go ride a bit this summer and fall. I got the Overkill, and I am curious as to what I should replace before I break it... I tend to be hard on things. And judging from the 45 minutes I had to spend to get the front brakes adjusted and stay there. Im probably gonna be messing some things up on this bike. I have a mid school Sugar Baby, that I have had since I was in middle school, but I wanted something with some gear options to ride with the wife. I haven't ridden for about 15 years, so I wanted some input on the cheap ass bikes we just bought.
ssands85

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:47 am

Besides being cheap,the bikes should perform the task it was designed to do and if that means simple trail riding then it is probably no problem for the overkill.Just make sure you adjust and tighten everything and you should be fine.After becoming acclimated to the bike then make a decision on whether you want the bike to perform more task or reduce the weight so the bike performs better.The extremes of performance should only be considered if you are going to make mountain biking or riding often daily or weekly routines.Since you spoke of BMX bikes do not expect to ride in that manner on the overkill because it is not designed for that and just because it was cheap doesent make it a bad bike.The bike you purchased should give anyone plenty of exercise and giant smiles on their face at that price.
Purple Haze

Postby ssands85 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Oh don't get me wrong. I am by no means unhappy with the purchase. I merely wanted to know about any potential weak points before I break them to find them... and I have to get some threadlocker from work and go through everything on both bikes. Right now I know my pedals suck, and the handlebars don't feel that great. Are there things I should be keeping an eye on besides the wheelset. Both rims are pretty wobbly after one ride but the spokes were pretty loose to begin with and I don't have a truing stand big enough for a 27.5 inch wheel... So I will most likely take it in to have them trued because I'm lazy...But like I said I only really have good things to say at this price point; I could buy two of these bikes and not feel bad because I know that I have spent more in one night at the bar.

And I committed the cardinal sin of not lurking on a forum for a while before I posted. I had quite a few of my questions answered just poking around the boards, after I posted. Thanks for the response.
ssands85

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:31 am

Well, typically the first things to go are bottom bracket and pedals. The wheels are hit or miss. Sometimes they hold up, sometimes they are a complete failure.

I've not heard complaints of the handlebars, but the grips. The seat, of course. Then it's the fork and shock. With most of us, the bottom bracket, pedals, grips, seat, and shock are the first things to go.
Falkon45

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Well, typically the first things to go are bottom bracket and pedals. The wheels are hit or miss. Sometimes they hold up, sometimes they are a complete failure.

I've not heard complaints of the handlebars, but the grips. The seat, of course. Then it's the fork and shock. With most of us, the bottom bracket, pedals, grips, seat, and shock are the first things to go.

This pretty much sums it up. My first upgrade (before taking it home, actually) was to stop at the LBS and upgrade to a sealed bottom bracket, better crank, and WTB pedals. The saddle is always crap no matter what you buy or how much you spend. I put mini-bar ends on in a month or less because they give me the same riding position I used on my road bike with hands on the brake controls.

But I do agree that unless you're doing serious downhill riding Vee brakes will be good enough; especially on the rear. I just put hydraulic front disc brakes on my Mongoose deception and will probably upgrade the rears to hydraulic in a year or so. But most of my serious braking is done with judicious modulation of the front brake anyway. :D
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Previous

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes