27.5 BBBikes (MTB)

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: 27.5 BBBikes (MTB)

Postby JazzOne » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:15 pm

ehart814 wrote:Holy crap!!!! Lol. I thought they felt heavy but I didn't realize it was that much. Have you been riding it much?? How do u like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a short 5-mile ride on some very steep mountain terrain today. I am really digging the bike. I saw a FS 29" Mongoose at Walmart today, and I started to regret my decision to buy an HT, but I am still very happy about my purchase. Whoever put my bike together did a good job because it was completely functional right out of the door.

I took off a few of the stickers from my Seek'r, and the paint looks awesome! I'm pretty sure I'll be removing the rest of the stickers soon. I actually like the twist shifters, especially for the FD. My girlfriend's trigger shifters are a bit finicky, and they have no trim. My twist shifters, on the other hand, work well most of the time, and when they don't, I can trim them slightly to resolve the problem.

My biggest complaint is the rear disc brake. It squeaks pretty awful, and it doesn't feel nearly as secure as the front disc. Perhaps that's just the mechanics of the rear brake.

I have been all over town looking at handlebars. I'm so excited to upgrade this thing and shed some weight because the frame is very cool. I hope the frame isn't the source of the weight problems. I'm guessing (i.e., hoping) that the wheels and steel add-ons are the culprits. My current handlebars are 25" wide. The LBS guy recommended 27" and no wider. My current stem is 25.4 mm, so I will have to replace it with a bigger one or else my upgrade options are more limited.

I wanted to post some pictures today of my ride today, but the sun went down before I had a chance. I'll try to do it tomorrow before i remove the rest of the stickers.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby ehart814 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Stick with the hardtail for now. You will be surprised how much of a difference a few well chosen mods will make. If you ordered that carbon kit you could shed a pound or more. If you like the shifters, keep them. Lighter wheels will cost a bundle so those will have to wait. Lighter tires are a possibility. For some reason a noisy rear disc brake is a common problem even on other big box bikes. I'll bet your fork weighs a ton. Might see what affordable options you have there...

Changing stem and bars is a good place to start.

ehart814

Postby JazzOne » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Mongoose Keith.jpg
Mongoose Keith.jpg (239.97 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Mongoose Seek'r.jpg
Mongoose Seek'r.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Here are a couple shots. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Seek'r frame is a re-purposed Schwinn frame. That makes a lot of sense to me because I am leaning toward a Schwinn Varsity road bike specifically because I like the frame. The groove that runs down the Seek'r frame is very unique for an aluminum bike. I'm really dying to know what the frame weighs.

I'm still very impressed with the paint. The wheels have some sparkle flakes in the orange section, and the disc brakes keep the wheels looking sharp.

My girlfriend and I are going to a bike maintenance course at our local LBS tomorrow. So far, we've only gotten one rude snicker about our BBBs. Oh well, we're having fun.
JazzOne

Postby ehart814 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Nice. The paint is nice on those. When I looked at one I liked the paint a lot. It works well with the orange.

ehart814

Postby JazzOne » Sun May 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm about to order my handlebars, but I'm confused about one thing. What is a direct mount stem? It looks like the direct mount stem is for front shocks with large amounts of travel. But I want to make sure I'm not overlooking any options. So my question is: Can I use a direct mount stem with my front fork?
JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun May 04, 2014 10:41 pm

On Saturday, we took the Mongoose bikes on their toughest ride yet. The ride started with a steep 200-foot descent featuring large rock formations and regular 2- to 3-foot drops. To be honest, we had to walk the bikes through some of the hairier parts. But my girlfriend is really tough. She rode every bit of trail that I had the guts to ride. Six miles through the Texas greenbelt wiped us out!

We have no injuries to report, and the bikes held up perfectly. We are both very impressed with our Mongoose bikes. My skill level is my biggest limiting factor, but I never worried about my equipment failing. I have 32 miles on my machine, and I'm really loving it.

Greenbelt Trail.jpg
Greenbelt Trail.jpg (166.24 KiB) Viewed 469 times
JazzOne

Postby desertguns » Mon May 05, 2014 8:45 am

Nice! You might want to gear up with some elbow & knee pads before tackling the bigger drops. Although you're young so would probably just bounce anyway.

BTW - No, you don't want a direct mount stem. Its for a different kind of fork.
desertguns

Postby JazzOne » Mon May 05, 2014 12:03 pm

desertguns wrote:Nice! You might want to gear up with some elbow & knee pads before tackling the bigger drops. Although you're young so would probably just bounce anyway.

Thanks for the info regarding the stem. I thought about buying some protective gear. What do you mean by "bigger drops"? Do I need knee pads for 2- to 3-foot drops? Also, I turned 37 today, so I'm not so young anymore.
JazzOne

Postby desertguns » Mon May 05, 2014 3:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
desertguns wrote:Nice! You might want to gear up with some elbow & knee pads before tackling the bigger drops. Although you're young so would probably just bounce anyway.

Thanks for the info regarding the stem. I thought about buying some protective gear. What do you mean by "bigger drops"? Do I need knee pads for 2- to 3-foot drops? Also, I turned 37 today, so I'm not so young anymore.

Well, maybe I should back up. If you're not falling off your bike or taking risks then maybe you don't need additional pads. And you're still young. Enjoy it while you can. Mostly downhill guys wear full gear. But at 55 I'm wearing extra insurance on some XC/fotthills rides & certainly on mountain rides this summer. I just don't heal as fast as I used to It took one minor accident last summer & one major one last Feb to make me admit that. 8-)
desertguns

Postby JazzOne » Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Mongoose Stem.jpg
Mongoose Stem.jpg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 430 times

Can anyone tell me whether my steerer is 1" or 1 1/8"? I assume this is threadless?
JazzOne

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes