27.5 BBBikes (MTB)

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: 27.5 BBBikes (MTB)

Postby morando6784 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:32 am

1 1/8 threadless

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 am

desertguns wrote:
JazzOne wrote:[quote="desertguns"
Well, maybe I should back up. If you're not falling off your bike or taking risks then maybe you don't need additional pads. And you're still young. Enjoy it while you can. Mostly downhill guys wear full gear. But at 55 I'm wearing extra insurance on some XC/fotthills rides & certainly on mountain rides this summer. I just don't heal as fast as I used to It took one minor accident last summer & one major one last Feb to make me admit that. 8-)

Plus one here on protection. I am considerably older than 55 (although I look much younger (ahem!)) and parts of me no longer "heal" at all; if by "healing" it means that they get to where they stop hurting). The bits that seem to be the most sensitive to stupid tricks I did when I was young are hands, feet, elbows, knees, shoulders and neck. Actually, pretty much in that order.

Fast riding on good road bikes when I was in my 20s turned into an artificial knee when I was in my 60s. Well, ok... that wasn't so bad because it meant that I could get back on bikes again. But artificial knees wear out a LOT quicker than the real ones so I no longer spin at 75rpm. And I stay off road bikes, mostly.

Elbows and shoulders... well it won't take long for you to learn *that*. The most common injury for bicycle riders is a broken collarbone. Then comes wrist and elbow injuries. Wrist from stupidly holding a hand out when falling and elbow and shoulder injuries come from not stupidly holding a hand out when falling. :P

Hands. I rode in the days before gel and before we had anything that actually padded the handlebar bits that my hands touch. Hours of riding with my hands on the brake pads, for instance. Now 30 minutes of that and the pain in my thumb joints becomes excruciating. I wore gloves but the gloves we had then weren't good enough. Plus, later in life I took up paddling kayaks and canoes. "Nuff said....

Feet. I was never a runner, thank heavens, because I can only imagine what the pain would be like if I had been. The knee problems caused me to do some strange things to protect myself from knee pain and one of those things was, apparently, not to stand properly.

Neck. I can no longer turn my head comfortably to the left. It hurts. I can turn to the right ok... not like when I was 20 but not too bad. This would pretty much stop me from racing and it darned well makes it more dangerous to ride on the road where looking back to your left is important on roads that keep you to the right of traffic.

One thing I did right was to wear a helmet as soon as bike helmets came out. Actually, I rode with my rock climbing helmet on for a few years so I wore them even *before* bike helmets came out. It probably saved my brains... oh, look.... a butterfly....

Where was I? Oh ya... ride smart. Remember that saying? "If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!" Well.... it's true. :D

Craig

PS: I'm going to move this post to another forum but I'll leave a "shadow" copy here. :)

C
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby JazzOne » Wed May 07, 2014 9:22 am

morando6784 wrote:1 1/8 threadless

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether you could tell from a picture or whether I would have to pull the stem off and measure with calipers.

I'm not trying to be a weenie.I just don't know how much torque to apply when reassembling my bike. I squished my girlfriend's FD cable, so I'm gun shy, but then I didn't tighten my seat enough on Monday, and it came loose one mile into my ride. Unfortunately, the seat was loose enough to ratchet backward but not forward, so the problem got worse and worse. I needed a 14 wrench but only had 13 and 15. A nice dude riding a Specialized offered his wrenches, but he only had 13 and 15 as well. Just wasn't my day.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby Kalon » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am

JazzOne wrote:
morando6784 wrote:1 1/8 threadless

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether you could tell from a picture or whether I would have to pull the stem off and measure with calipers.

I'm not trying to be a weenie.I just don't know how much torque to apply when reassembling my bike. I squished my girlfriend's FD cable, so I'm gun shy, but then I didn't tighten my seat enough on Monday, and it came loose one mile into my ride. Unfortunately, the seat was loose enough to ratchet backward but not forward, so the problem got worse and worse. I needed a 14 wrench but only had 13 and 15. A nice dude riding a Specialized offered his wrenches, but he only had 13 and 15 as well. Just wasn't my day.

Man I feel you there, three miles into my morning ride yesterday my left crank worked it's way loose and fell off. A ratchet and socket are not on the list of things that I have been carrying as far as tools are concerned. Luckily the River Trail here in Little Rock is beautiful even on a walk of shame.
Kalon

Postby Shooter_G22 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:44 am

I am absolutely in love with the new Seek'r (only seen the pics) cant wait to find one in my local Walmart...!!!

DID ANYONE EVER FIGURE OUT IF THE 27.5" WHEELS ARE DOUBLE WALLS...??????

im really thinking of snagging a Seek'r this fall... I love the paint job on this thing and everybody Here knows I'm a super Mongoose Fan... I wont ride anything else, if I can help it... :P

I think its great that Mongoose went with the traditional team colors for there first 27.5 !!!

I just wonder if they will be coming out with a F/S soon...??? anybody know...???
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby Bigshot » Sun May 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Shooter_G22 wrote:I just wonder if they will be coming out with a F/S soon...??? anybody know...???

They already have...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Men- ... e/35206176
Bigshot

Postby JazzOne » Sun May 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Shooter_G22 wrote:I am absolutely in love with the new Seek'r (only seen the pics) cant wait to find one in my local Walmart...!!!

DID ANYONE EVER FIGURE OUT IF THE 27.5" WHEELS ARE DOUBLE WALLS...??????

im really thinking of snagging a Seek'r this fall... I love the paint job on this thing and everybody Here knows I'm a super Mongoose Fan... I wont ride anything else, if I can help it... :P

I think its great that Mongoose went with the traditional team colors for there first 27.5 !!!

I just wonder if they will be coming out with a F/S soon...??? anybody know...???

I've been waiting to get a flat before I pull the tire off. My tubes have held a steady PSI through the first 45 miles, and I don't want to jinx it.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby junkyarddog » Fri May 16, 2014 9:40 pm

checked out a seek'r tonite at walmart... looks like a cool bike......disk brakes are the thing I like... was looking at some 26" hardtails too
89 specialized rockhopper- SS BMX hybrid
97 specialized rockhopper-7 speed mild trail bike
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby Hero_004 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm not sure if anyone answered this but yeah they're double wall rims, I can't upload the pic from my iPhone but they're double walled guys
Sette Razzo (ebike)
Razzo Elettrico http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=50042

Mongoose Seek'r
Shimano Acrea Rapid Fire Shifters
Vee Rubber 6 650b
Hero_004

Postby Shooter_G22 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Thank you for the conformation... that is awsome... :)

I spoke to customer service @ Pacific and the un-oficial word is... that they are testing the waters with the 2 models that mongoose bbb to sort of test the market... she also told me that she believs there will be more models to be released in the fall season sometime close to the holidays...
She also told me that if we all emailed the producton managers at mongoose wth feedback and suggestions then they would most likely take into serious consideration since mongoose has always tried to strive in product development for the consomer

I do not have that email address... im very bussy during the summer months laying thousands of block and brick out in the field... no time to call during bussiness hours to get info... but if someone with some down time could get that info... I believe we should all send in ema request for 27.5 / 650b F/S BBB Mongoose with the quity and similar grade components of the XR-Pro 29er but in a 27.5er :)
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes