JazzOne's Build Thread: Mongoose Seek'r 27.5

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

JazzOne's Build Thread: Mongoose Seek'r 27.5

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am

This forum has been tremendously helpful to me, and I am happy to share pics of my build.

My girlfriend Tiff and I have been looking for ways to stay in shape. I used to be a jogger, but she hates jogging, and I'm not crazy about it. So, we decided to buy some bikes.

I had been itching to buy a bike for a few years. I'm a sports-car kind of guy, so I was looking at road bikes, and I had my heart set on a Schwinn Varsity 1200. Tiff is more of a 4x4 off-road kind of gal, so she wasn't too fond of the road bike idea, and we settled on some mountain bikes instead. We looked on craigslist, and we visited the local bike stores. But we just couldn't justify $800 right off the bat for a new hobby that we might not enjoy. So, we settled on a couple Mongoose bikes from our local BB stores. Tiff bought an FS Mongoose Detour 26er, and I bought an HT Mongoose Seek'r 27.5. The Seek'r weighed in at 35 pounds with the reflectors and kickstand. I'd be elated if I could get the weight under 30 pounds.

Here are a couple pics from our maiden voyage with the lovely Texas blue bonnets in full bloom.

Mongoose Tiff.jpg
Mongoose Tiff.jpg (127.08 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

Mongoose Keith.jpg
Mongoose Keith.jpg (239.97 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

This next picture was taken at the Austin greenbelt. The descent was tough riding for a couple newbs. But I did learn one thing: Tiff is fearless! lol

Greenbelt Trail.jpg
Greenbelt Trail.jpg (166.24 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

I will update this thread with a few more pics of the stock Seek'r, and then I'll start building! Several of my components have already arrived, but I've been waiting to start this thread before I begin the modifications. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Re: JazzOne's Build Thread: Mongoose Seek'r 27.5

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:36 am

Completely stock:

Seek'r left profile.jpg
Seek'r left profile.jpg (191.85 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

Seek'r right profile.jpg
Seek'r right profile.jpg (194.09 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

Seek'r three quarter.jpg
Seek'r three quarter.jpg (202.7 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:40 am

Completely stock:

Seek'r rear derailleur.jpg
Seek'r rear derailleur.jpg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

Seek'r crankset.jpg
Seek'r crankset.jpg (188.79 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

Seek'r top tube & handle bar.jpg
Seek'r top tube & handle bar.jpg (194.88 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
JazzOne

Postby to the beach » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 am

Nice countryside and you 2 look like pros. I'm interested in seeing this seek'r transform.
to the beach

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:22 am

These are the components that have already arrived:

Seek'r components.jpg
Seek'r components.jpg (155.4 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Truvativ Boobar riser bar, Straitline AMP stem, Straitline headset spacers, A2Z stem cap, Novara Metro grips, KCNC bar end caps, and Mucky Nutz fenders. I can't wait to put this stuff on!
JazzOne

Postby Shooter_G22 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:42 pm

very nice... 8-)

I like the orange anodized performance parts... nice choice... ;)

can you confirm one thing for us...??

when you get a chance can you check to see if the rims are double wall or single wall...

I want to believe that they are double wall rims but there has not been any confirmation on this... :?

also... how was the front fork...???

I hate the element forks on my past experiences, just wondering if they have improved on them at all...???

what other upgrades are you planning on...???

Fork, Crank set, derailleurs ..???? How is the rubber on it...??? I live here in Dallas Tx, and I believe our trail systems, have the same type of terrain, with the exception of Austin having steeper climbs and D/H other than that I think our terrain is pretty close, if your tires are good there then they should be good here...

I'm definantly going to go with a Mongoose 27.5"er but im waiting for fall/winter to see what Mongoose brings out next...
hopefully a 27.5"er F/S with the quality of the XR-PRO...!!! :P

if nothing like that comes out then I'm definantly going to grab the Seek'er...!!! and build it up too...!!! :twisted:

eager to see you build progress... 8-) and keep ridding... :D
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:48 pm

to the beach wrote:Nice countryside and you 2 look like pros. I'm interested in seeing this seek'r transform.

Thanks for the kind words.
JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Shooter_G22 wrote:very nice... 8-)

I like the orange anodized performance parts... nice choice... ;)

can you confirm one thing for us...??

when you get a chance can you check to see if the rims are double wall or single wall...

I want to believe that they are double wall rims but there has not been any confirmation on this... :?

also... how was the front fork...???

I hate the element forks on my past experiences, just wondering if they have improved on them at all...???

what other upgrades are you planning on...???

Fork, Crank set, derailleurs ..???? How is the rubber on it...??? I live here in Dallas Tx, and I believe our trail systems, have the same type of terrain, with the exception of Austin having steeper climbs and D/H other than that I think our terrain is pretty close, if your tires are good there then they should be good here...

I'm definantly going to go with a Mongoose 27.5"er but im waiting for fall/winter to see what Mongoose brings out next...
hopefully a 27.5"er F/S with the quality of the XR-PRO...!!! :P

if nothing like that comes out then I'm definantly going to grab the Seek'er...!!! and build it up too...!!! :twisted:

eager to see you build progress... 8-) and keep ridding... :D

Some of the orange anodized parts were cool. Some of them didn't match so well, so I'll be looking for different bar caps. I still haven't gotten a flat tire, so I haven't looked at the rim yet. However, I highly doubt they are double wall rims. Everything on this bike is cheap. I broke a shifter after 43 miles.

The fork feels fine, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I hardly even notice the fork. Sometimes I wonder if it's working, but I can see oil on the upper arms, so I know it's moving. In fact, the oil always collects up to one spot, and it makes a line around the upper arm. So, I know the fork must be bottoming out repeatedly. I'm not a very heavy dude, so that's bad news for the fork. But my experience on a bike is probably very different from most folks'.

Shimano brakes and Sram shifters are next. 6sharky9 has nearly talked me into ordering an air fork. I also have a set of Straitline AMP pedals in mind. After that, new tires. Then I'll work on a new wheel set, and then I'll go for the drive train next.

I have mixed feelings about the tires. They glide really nicely on the road. When I'm by myself, I go out for a bit of exercise, and I follow my jogging route. The 650b really moves quicker than my girlfriend's 26er. However, my back tire slips if there's a lot of dirt or loose rubble. My tires are 1.95" wide, whereas my girlfriend's 26er came with 2.1" tires. I feel like her bike has much better traction and it can hook up much better than my bike. I'm looking for wider tires, but if your trails are hard packed or if you'll be riding on pavement, the Seek'r is pretty cool.
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I got all my components installed! I also removed the reflectors and most of the stickers.

I don't really care for the bar caps. They are slightly more gold than orange, and I don't think they match well. I have my eye on a set of white Straitline bar caps.

Seek'r right profile Straitline stem and Truvativ handlebar.jpg
Seek'r right profile Straitline stem and Truvativ handlebar.jpg (186.42 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Seek'r three quarter Mucky Nutz fenders.jpg
Seek'r three quarter Mucky Nutz fenders.jpg (185.95 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Seek'r Straitline stem and Truvativ handlebar.jpg
Seek'r Straitline stem and Truvativ handlebar.jpg (187.39 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Configuration in this post:
Pacific Cycle Mongoose Seek'r frame and wheels
Truvativ Boobar riser bar (740mm)
Straitline AMP stem (70mm)
Straitline headset spacers
A2Z stem cap
Novara metro grips
KCNC bar caps
Mucky Nutz bender fenders
JazzOne