JazzOne's Build Thread: Mongoose Seek'r 27.5

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: JazzOne's Build Thread: Mongoose Seek'r 27.5

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:17 pm

That Seek'r is looking good.
I do like the way the frame tubes are formed and stripping that lower decal off made it look even better.
That handle bar, Sharp! The grip shifters on that bar almost disappear. Is a cool look
The bottom bracket seems like a boring upgrade and will be underrated forever, But, It's an upgrade well worthwhile, though the benefits will go happily unnoticed
I even like the chrome looking freewheel on that bike. Adds to that flashy look you're going for.
I'm a Rural Kentucky boy, a child of the 70's and 80's. I like the big tire trucks and dirt bike look... I think that's why I like the 26" bikes, Fat bikes and some of the 29er's with big wide wheels. One of the Giant Talon 27.5's I saw last week had a 2.25 tire upgrade. Doesn't sound like much, but it changed the look of that bike in a big way. I read that you're more of a road bike kind of a guy, sports cars etc.. I'm more on your girl's side with the off road Jeepin, trucks and dirt. That Seek'r of yours remind me of those shiny, fancy paint job trucks that do fine on or off the road, but you see that guy washing it twice a week :D Keep it up! Form and function.. classy
Tomcat65

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:03 am

Tomcat65 wrote:That Seek'r is looking good.
I do like the way the frame tubes are formed and stripping that lower decal off made it look even better.
That handle bar, Sharp! The grip shifters on that bar almost disappear. Is a cool look
The bottom bracket seems like a boring upgrade and will be underrated forever, But, It's an upgrade well worthwhile, though the benefits will go happily unnoticed
I even like the chrome looking freewheel on that bike. Adds to that flashy look you're going for.
I'm a Rural Kentucky boy, a child of the 70's and 80's. I like the big tire trucks and dirt bike look... I think that's why I like the 26" bikes, Fat bikes and some of the 29er's with big wide wheels. One of the Giant Talon 27.5's I saw last week had a 2.25 tire upgrade. Doesn't sound like much, but it changed the look of that bike in a big way. I read that you're more of a road bike kind of a guy, sports cars etc.. I'm more on your girl's side with the off road Jeepin, trucks and dirt. That Seek'r of yours remind me of those shiny, fancy paint job trucks that do fine on or off the road, but you see that guy washing it twice a week :D Keep it up! Form and function.. classy

Thanks for checking out my thread, Tomcat65. I'm coming around on the four wheelers. I definitely agree with you about the tires. My girlfriend's 26er looks a lot more rugged with wider tires, so I'm in the market for an upgrade.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

I'm sorry that I haven't updated this thread in a long time. I had to travel for work, and I took a vacation. When I returned, I felt so energized that I've been working 65+ hours every week since. And I've been doing a lot more riding and a lot less upgrading. I'm still really enjoying this bike.

Here are some fresh pics:

I finally got my SRAM SRT 600 grip shifters functioning with the 8-speed freewheel.

Seek'r SRAM shifters.jpg
Seek'r SRAM shifters.jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Since I had to take the cables off to install the new shifters, I replaced the plastic cable ends with these aluminum cable ends made by Jagwire.

Seek'r frame Jagwire cable ends.jpg
Seek'r frame Jagwire cable ends.jpg (147.75 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Seek'r rear mech Jagwire cable end.jpg
Seek'r rear mech Jagwire cable end.jpg (198.36 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Configuration in this post:
Pacific Cycle Mongoose Seek'r
Truvativ Boobar riser handlebar (740mm)
Straitline AMP stem (70mm)
Straitline headset spacers
A2Z stem cap
Novara metro grips
KCNC handlebar caps
SRAM SRT 600 grip shifters (3x8)
Sun Race 8-speed freewheel
Mucky Nutz bender fenders
Shimano UN55 bottom bracket
Jagwire cable ends

Next, I'm going to install my new headset, and then the Shimano hydraulic brakes are going on. I can't delay too much longer on the brakes because my front brake cable got smashed into the rotor a few days ago. I pulled it out, and the brake still works, but the cable is fraying quickly. I can't wait to get this stuff on. I just have to make some time.
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby squire366 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:41 am

JazzOne wrote:A few more bits arrived today: SRAM shifters and hydraulic hose guides. I think I'll wait until my 8-speed freewheel arrives before I install.

Shifters & hose guides.jpg

I read in another thread that wire cutters are no good for cutting shifter cables. What should I use instead? Can I use my old cable housings?

Also, what gauge cables do I have? I need to buy some crimps, but there were two different sizes.

I cut both brake and shifter cables with wire cutters. It's the cable housings that need a special pair of cutters not the cables themselves. Also...........brake cables are thicker than shifter cables and that's why the cable ends are two different sizes. So if you have shifter cables then you'll need the crimps (cable ends) with the smaller holes.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby squire366 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

Excellent build so far. Most guys on this forum have realized that the real value in these "big box bikes" is the frame. The rest of the components are just additional crap thrown in with a really good frame. So by replacing all of the components on your mongoose with good aftermarket gear, you'll really love riding that bike and it will last for a long time.

An extra added bonus is that great feeling of accomplishment when you get compliment after compliment on a job well done. I get compliments all the time on my Deception and it makes it even better when they find out it originally cost $200 at Walmart...........LOL
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby junkyarddog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:20 pm

my truck is about dead , so I might get one of these and turn the rockhopper into a commuter bike.... will see what happens.....next time I am in walmart I am gonna go check one out if they have one in stock
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Previous

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes