New choice available for 27.5“

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: New choice available for 27.5“

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

uhhhh..
Do you see where they put the bottle holder screws? They're bound to catch mud right behind the tire :P
I'm afraid the snobs might be right about that one, it might be best left at the store

Look how long the chainstays are! At least the front derailleur should NEVER have any clearance issues with the tire :)
Cables routed Over the rear suspension, they must not be worried about any rear suspension travel

At $399.00 to $412.00, I'd just go get an XR-Pro and have 10 times the bike for the same $$
Tomcat65

Postby rpromero » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:23 am

For those with smaller budgets... It's $179- at Academy

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ozone-5 ... =855520838

rpromero

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Kent Manufacturing .. Buncha Vitesse stuff on there, The suspension looks like a Genesis V2100 or a Sabre :D
Tomcat65

Postby ljcap » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Ruckis wrote:
It seems decently specced for $299 especially for a fs bike. It appears that the rear shock is runbish, but they all are at this price range. I think this could be a great project 27.5" fs. What do you guys think?

It sort of looks/sounds good to me. Agreed, have to remove stickers and add a rear shock.

I have a XR Pro (6 months) and from an untrained eye this looks similar: trigger shifters, double wall wheels, Suntour fork, junk rear shock, disc brakes, 2.1" tires (which are bigger than the stock XR Pro).

Being new to mountain biking, the XR Pro actually feels like I am too high off the ground, especially facing a mild to moderate drop down a hill on the trails. I'm trying to talk the wife into selling her Ledge 27.5 (very inferior) and getting one of these. But it might actually work good for me. Lower to the ground, plus it looks like this bike is 5 lbs lighter.
ljcap

Postby ShadowKnows » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:59 am

I have a Huffy Elite TR-S 740 coming in Wednesday the 11th... I will try to do a break down of components and impressions, hopefully some pics as well.. =]

Oh, and heyas everyone.. New to the forum.
ShadowKnows

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:18 am

Looking forward to that! There's limited information on these big box bikes and this forum seems to be the only place where they get a fair review, details about replacement components, real information about specific model modification, and it's all searchable thanks to Google bots and Bing. Post pics if you can! A lot of us want to see what you get!
Tomcat65

Postby ShadowKnows » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Woohoo!! (Sorry, get excited anytime I am waiting for shipped things to get here...)

Well we all know who Huffy is, and what the brand name means to some - and to others. This is not my full review, just a first impressions sort of thing, so I cannot confirm or dispel any ingrained perceptions you might have about the Huffy brand at this time. =)

Huffy Elite TR-S 740 Mens Full Suspension 27.5" Mountain Bike
Walmart $299.97

Carrier: FedEx. Not sure why but every time I have ordered a bicycle that costs more than $250 Walmart sends it FedEX - which is good because UPS sucksazz shipping big packages.

Packaging: Decent, no tears or holes, only that it had been opened and taped back up. Not sure by who, maybe Walmart checking to make sure everything was there?

Contents: Everything intact except for the plastic spacer they place in the front fork dropouts - which was shattered in three pieces, though no damage to the forks, not even a scratch.

Content Protection: The entire bicycle (practically) was wrapped in thick styrofoam sheet strips = not a scratch or abrasion on the entire bicycle.

Frame: Good welding (though raw) with only a few small barely noticeable bumps/globs. Strong forged joint lugs. Actually everything on the frame, whether forged or stamped, looks to have been bead blasted so there are no sharp edges anywhere. If the welds were a little smoother/even and it didn't have the Huffy graphic it could easily pass for a mid-tier bike shop frame - which I guess isn't so surprising given that even most of those are also made in China...

Frame Amenities: A real derailleur drop out - like forged, smoothed, and heat treated. Flush hinge pins at rear axle. Nice rounded head sex bolts at shock arm pivot and seat stays. Typical chamfered head bolts mounting shock. Only part of the frame lacking in at least the appearance of quality is the two curved arms joining the shock and stays. The arms do not look as finished as the rest of the frame, but will still be reliably functional, and are of decent thickness.

Finish: Professional looking paint job. Thin coats, pure colors, no run or bleed of any kind. Actually kind of impressive overall with graphics in black and lime(?), clean sharp lines, no frilly color edges or anything, and they are under the clear coat so they have no felt edge and won't be pealing off. All in all a good looking paint job, base metal was prepared well. As to the color scheme I would typically prefer black and red on a white base but this looks nice. None of the images seen online come anywhere close to showing how nice the frame looks.

Suspension: Tight, no wobble, but moves freely. At the frame end it looks like about 1.5" of maximum travel (before the seat stay bridge slams into the seat tube) which should equate to ~3" travel at the wheel.

Suspension Dampening: 190mm 1000lb Coil-Over Spring/Shock. So as has become protocol, one would want to replace shock for best performance. Even a real oil dampened coil over would be an improvement. Suspension moves well, could have some noticeable bob or pedal bounce depending on riders weight.

Forks: 100mm Travel. 28mm Stanchions. Smooth movement, no wobble or slamming. No adjustment other than preload (coil).

Wheels: Double Wall Alloy 650/27.5" Painted.

Tires: 650x57 (27.5"x2.25") - Tight Small Knob Tread - Good for general hardpack and trail.

Weight: OOTB = 34.8 lbs (Including Kick-Stand and Reflectors)

Well guys that is it for now, just some immediate observations and impressions 'out of the box' - more to come (Geometry/measurements, components, etc, etc) so hang tight.

First impression conclusion: Easily worth the money. Not really anything that 'has' to be upgraded other than the rear shock, and that can be made more serviceable in the interim by wrenching down the preload adjustment.
I will be keeping mine and sending the other three brands I have been evaluating back to Walmart for a refund.
So for now I have come full circle in 50yrs, my first bicycle was a Huffy - and I'm back. :lol:
ShadowKnows

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:46 pm

Awesome first impression review! The Huffy Elite series is supposed to be a higher quality, but the brand just lacks a real following due to the credibility of the standard models I suppose.. But this is a bike that I'm definitely interested in. I like my 29'er and will most likely keep it as long as I can ride, but this looks like it might be a fun 2nd choice for when I want to get a little wild. I can see a benefit to a full suspension on trails with roots and rocks, waist high drops, maybe badly rutted logging roads, crossing back and forth to avoid having the ruts take Me for a ride... But the 29'er is also a benefit in most of the same places :P

I want to see this thing! When you get it out and about, be sure to take a camera with you!
Tomcat65

Postby rpromero » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:20 pm

What size is the frame and what is the standover hight? Can you put some pics up? Does the front fork have a lockout?
rpromero

Postby Ruckis » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:00 am

Great first impression! I can't wait to see how the bike handles the trails. Also looking forward to seeing pics of it assembled! Keep up the good work.
Ruckis

PreviousNext

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes