Mongoose Ledge

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Mongoose Ledge

Postby Scar223 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:25 am

This is on sale at local Walmart. I believe its marked down to $135. Anyone have experience with one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Men- ... e/35206176
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Re: Mongoose Ledge

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 am

Looks decent. I don't really like the rear dropouts, but from what I can tell from the pictures, it may have rear disc tabs. .

I hate the Walmart reviews. Most of the people sound like idiots. Although I do like the seek'r and huffy options more, this would be an okay bike too try out, and see if you like it.
Falkon45

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:24 am

Agreeing with Falkon, but adding, I'd pick this one over a Ledge 2.2 26"
Tomcat65

Postby MTBAlabama » Fri May 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Purchased one its pretty good but you have to fine tune everything on it. The parts seems cheaper then what I expected. The Spring is real good the front shocks are not firm and are squishy. Overall its a good purchase but you just have to find tune the brakes and derailers. My rims are kinda not right they wobble even though they are tight, not bent but not straight and true round. Warped is the word I was looking for.
MTBAlabama

Postby Thalaron86 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Personally I'd take a Genesis Overkill 27.5" and modify it like I'm thinking about doing lolz, Or any Genesis over the Mongooses :/. Better build quality until you get to the spendier variants with Mongoose, thicker materials *around the rear suspension etc etc and rear shock supports etc*. But that can be said for just about Any bike company lolz. Also there welds tend to not be as high pen, which can lead to fractures and ultimately failure of the frame, and that can be nasty :(.
Thalaron86

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 am

The Suntour fork looks ok but you should realize that the rear "shock" is almost certainly just a spring and your pedaling action will result in your head bobbing up and down as that spring compresses and releases with each pedal stroke. This wastes energy and it wastes the most energy when you are climbing. Expect to upgrade that rear shock; make sure you *can* upgrade it. Aftermarket bits can take a while to come on sale for new versions of mtbs. It took quite a while, for instance, for a decent 29er fork to appear on the market at prices less than $200 (or more). Measure the existing shock and then look at PricePoint or the other suppliers to see if they have something available under $100.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:39 am

At Walmart today, and saw an update on the 2.2. Now had rear disc tabs! But it's just weird. Treat suspension doesn't budge. It's a 6" shock, and a 6.5 looks like it would completely ruin any chance of rear travel. Still 1" threaded. And the seatpost is too small. I've lost hope for this bike. The schwinn elite bikes seem to be the only worthwhile 650 big box offerings.

Pics when I get home.
Falkon45

Postby SethsBikeHacks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:12 am

I know this thread is a few months old, but I bought this bike. It has very cheap parts, but at $140 it's pretty impressive. I drilled out the rivets on the front chainring and converted it into a 1X, which so far as worked out well. It's less noisy, and the chain never rubs.

The spokes have also been tightened, as well as the hubs and headset. The ride isn't that bad for the price, and it actually sort of resembles an expensive full suspension mountain bike when you look at the geometry.

Seth
SethsBikeHacks

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:55 pm

If you stay at it, this could be a really interesting build. The headset is a dead giveaway for a BBB, but if you look beyond that, the way you have it set up, it does look like a more expensive bike. Pretty sure the Pacific Cycle/Mongoose designers want to match "the look" as much as possible without violating copyrights or betraying their higher end market. Keep posting as you go. Everybody loves to see pics and there must be thousands of these bikes being sold. A lot of people will come through to see what you've done and how you make it happen.

Your Ledge looks Sharp Seth!

EDIT: Looking back at the previous Ledge 27.5, that newer suspension rocker is way different, and the seat stays are lower... I believe you could fit a longer rear shock on that bike. Possibly make a new pair of rockers and get more travel without blowing the geometry of the bottom bracket vs. chainstay angle vs. head tube angle...
Tomcat65

Postby SethsBikeHacks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:11 am

Tomcat65 wrote:Looking back at the previous Ledge 27.5, that newer suspension rocker is way different, and the seat stays are lower... I believe you could fit a longer rear shock on that bike. Possibly make a new pair of rockers and get more travel without blowing the geometry of the bottom bracket vs. chainstay angle vs. head tube angle...

Thanks! I'm hoping the bike survives that long. I bought it to find out what a cheap bike like that could take, so I've been subjecting it to incrementally larger doses of abuse. So far (with some maintenance) it's as good as new.

You were saying about making a new pair of rockers... I'm new to this forum, but have you seen this same mod done on other bikes?
Seth
SethsBikeHacks

Next

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes