Seek'r parts

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Seek'r parts

Postby CJK0 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi guys. I've got the Mongoose Seek'r from Walnuts.
I was hoping you guys could lead me to some decently priced shifters and derailer.
I live right across from a bike shop, but I'd rather hear what you guys suggest.
The reason I need a derailer is because this thing somehow snapped off and got loged in my spokes. Crazy. I didn't even ride it that hard. And as for shifters, they haven't been right since day 1.
I love the look, feel and size of this bike so I'd like to keep it and put some work into it.

Thanks!!
CJK0

Re: Seek'r parts

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:52 pm

You could always call pacific and get them to send you a new derailleur and derailleur hanger. If you want to upgrade, you could always go with Altus or sram sx4 or x3 derailleurs and shifters.

The original stuff probably needed tuning. I'm guessing you went into low gear when the derailleur was swallowed by the wheel. You may need a new rear wheel also. See if pacific will cover that too.
Falkon45

Postby CJK0 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah, it actually wouldn't shift out of low. I'll take some pics and upload to show the damage.

Thanks for the help and info!
CJK0

Postby tigris99 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:38 pm

That's the problem, nothing was set up correctly. Buying bikes from WalMart and what not first thing everyone needs to do is get intimate with YouTube and google search. Use it to learn how to adjust and work on every part of you bike. Or expect to pay $50-75 ay a bike shop to properly set everything up before riding it.

Problem isn't the bikes, its the morons that assemble them at the stores

If you have your receipt I would take that back to WalMart and make them give you a new one and tell them they need to have someone that actually knows what they are doing check over the bike. I got one of their assemblers at my WalMart suspended over doing that crappy of a job on assembly. But they have one guy that actually knows something so he checked the replacement (v2100) and I also did with him standing there. Didn't cost me a dime.
tigris99

Postby CJK0 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Yeah, good idea tigris99. I have my receipt, it's been a year, but Wallnots should still do an exchange.
Problem is, there isn't a Walmart near me with a Seek'r in Stock. I guess I should return mine and have them order a new one at the same time.
I've been to 6 different Walmarts and all of them were pretty much depleted of bikes.

I'm guessing it's not quite the season yet.
CJK0

Postby to the beach » Mon May 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I think a year is too long
to the beach

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Pacific does adjusting or what not to the bikes...Walmart only assembles the front wheels..seat post,saddle and handle bars (of which the brake handles and shifters are already mounted to as well as all the cable hooked up)...they install the pedals and maybe some reflectors. Walmart isnt responsible for adjusting the shifters nor the brakes....They might add some air to the tires and maybe adjust a brake if its not working at all but thats about it...Walmart doesnt assemble the bike from scratch.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Falkon45 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:09 am

But the good ones do adjust the shifters and brakes. The factory assemblers do a half assed job. Basically, if the derailleur moved out of one gea, they're done. Screw i, in gonna be a part time assembler for Walmart, and show them how it's done!
Falkon45

Postby CJK0 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:00 pm

I had a local bike shop throw on a new derailleur for me. $70. But from now on, I'm gonna do the work myself.

My next move is shifters. I'm sure if I search around this site for a few I'll find the right info.
CJK0

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes