Genesis Overkill 27.5" Project MTB Worth Upgrading ?

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Genesis Overkill 27.5" Project MTB Worth Upgrading ?

Postby Thalaron86 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:55 pm

So recently I just built a Genesis Overkill 27.5" to replace an Old Vertical PK7 26" *Y frame design with the arching rear suspension* which I still have but couldn't find certain small parts for, so I opted to get a new bike lolz.

I am kind of on the fence whether to upgrade parts on the Genesis or not, kind of thinking of using it as a Project bike while I do more research for a more *serious* mtb.
Here's what my Genesis Overkill looks like for reference.
http://sta.sh/0nqj234eoee *Right Click to Open in New Tab :O*

Was thinking to esentially replace most of the stock parts like the derailers, cassette, crankset, rear brake, handle bar, bar stem, bar grips, bottom bracket, and brake and gear levers. An posibly the rear shock and front fork if there worth changing out. Am also getting different tires and tubes, just not sure what tire set or tubes I want, but kind of have an idea lolz. I live in and area where theres a Ton of thorns, things like Goatheads etc, so I need tubes and tires that can take some serious punishment lolz.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Thalaron86

Re: Genesis Overkill 27.5" Project MTB Worth Upgrading ?

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:11 am

It looks like a saber frame without the rear disc brake mounts and bigger tires..Have you considered a 29er hardtail?
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:25 am

Yep. Saber front, and v2100 rear. Check out the v2100 threads to look into converting to rear disc. I, personally, would have went with the schwinn offerings. But I'd like the overkill more with rear disc tabs.
Falkon45

Postby Thalaron86 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Well! to be quite frank I actually work for walmart as an assembler, building bikes, BBQ's and patio sets all day LOL, but mosty bikes lolz. An to be honest all the Schwinns I have built *well over 200* have nothing on these Genesis when talking about build quality lolz. I have noticed though once you get to about the $300 range they get alot better.

An the reason I didn't go with a 29er was mostly because I'm 5.8" so its pretty much a perfect fit, but the 29er I have to straddle it pretty much when I come to a stop so I found that pretty annoying lolz.

I'll look up those v2100 threads see what I can find there, cause the v2100 and overkills pretty much the same bike with the exception of the main frame those are deffinately different.
Thalaron86

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:10 am

The schwinns I'm talking about are their elite series bikes. They come very well equipped. Didn't know if you saw them or not. I wish Genesis would bring back the saber. All the upgrades the v2100 needed. I can't find one new or used for less than 300.making me mad. Lol
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:14 am

Also, I'm 5'8",and have no problem with my 29er. Unless you're trying to sit on the seat while stopped (which, technically means your seatnheight is incorrect for riding), you shouldn't have a real problem standing over the bike.
Falkon45

Postby Thalaron86 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:49 am

Ya unless there special ordered I wont see the more expensive variants of any of the bikes we sell >.<, but I do know what your talking about and they do have some really nice bikes, been eye balling some Diamondbacks lately aswell as an alternative for later, what are your thoughts on them ? Also riding a 27 vs a 29er feels better to me, not really sure why but it does :/ lolz.
Thalaron86

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:57 am

Thalaron86 wrote:Well! to be quite frank I actually work for walmart as an assembler, building bikes, BBQ's and patio sets all day LOL, but mosty bikes lolz. An to be honest all the Schwinns I have built *well over 200* have nothing on these Genesis when talking about build quality lolz. I have noticed though once you get to about the $300 range they get alot better.

An the reason I didn't go with a 29er was mostly because I'm 5.8" so its pretty much a perfect fit, but the 29er I have to straddle it pretty much when I come to a stop so I found that pretty annoying lolz.

I'll look up those v2100 threads see what I can find there, cause the v2100 and overkills pretty much the same bike with the exception of the main frame those are deffinately different.

So you're that guy some of us want to smack around a little bit then...lol jk.

The v2100 is a 26 inch bike with no provisions for rear disc brakes..You have to purchase an expensive bracket then drill through the rear section to install it....The front section of the saber is a different frame all together and has a rear section (with slightly different geometry) you can mount disc brakes to without needing an adapter.

I suppose you could call this new bike a frankenstein of design with bigger wheels.

I would still go with a 27.5 or 29'er hardtail.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Thalaron86 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:16 pm

6sharky9 wrote:So you're that guy some of us want to smack around a little bit then...lol jk.

Actually I am probably one of the few ppl that work as an assembler that knows what there doing when putting bikes together, unlike the last guy I replaced lolz, I check the brakes, gears etc etc. Essentially I treat them as if there my own.

6sharky9 wrote:I would still go with a 27.5 or 29'er hardtail.

Well I am pretty partial to full suspension lolz, I use to have a hardtail WAY! back in the day, but when I jumped onto a FS type, I was like *Ooh! Nice!*, so been FS type person since lolz.

Also note I am not a *hard* rider, mostly just want to build something that wont breakdown after some time out on the trails, but also something that gives me options incase I want to get a little more technical with my riding, and I think the overkills a good frame to work with even if the rear is going to be a little tricky to mount a disk brake setup to.

Also What do you guys here think of the Diamondback brand of bikes o.O ?
Thalaron86

Postby Thalaron86 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:43 pm

So I have figured out that finding a decent set of rims that's both disk or rim brake compatable is a bit of a pain lolz. So I have decided to look for a conversion kit for a rear disk brake, which will simplifiy my search for a new set of rims lolz.

I believe I have found an adapter that'll work on my bike, would just like to have some feedback on it :).

Adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A2Z-DM-UNI-Disc-brake-adapter-allows-frames-w-o-disc-tabs-to-run-brakes-/161741857360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a890e250

Rear end of my Genesis. *Right Click to View Image*
http://sta.sh/0nn6uc7mbnc
Will probably be keeping that kickstand off once I get this all setup.
Thalaron86

Next

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes