TRAITOR? I bought a Fuji Tahoe 27.5

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

TRAITOR? I bought a Fuji Tahoe 27.5

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:24 pm

So am I a traitor for buying a bike from my LBS? (LOL)?? I still believe in the value offered by some BBB's but I was attracted to the Tahoes tapered head tube and beefy frame. I'm not gonna say how much I actually paid but for the specs of the frame and the components on the bike, I think I got a decent deal. Actual pix to come but here's a link to the specs and a stock photo from the Fuji site.
SPECs: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/tahoe-27-5-15-disc

I love upgrading and updating my bike but this thing is fairly tight as-is. I'm only gonna have to add a few bling items for now.
Last edited by Phil_RC_1 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Re: TRAITOR? I bought a Fuji Tahoe 27.5

Postby rpromero » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:04 pm

That's awesome! I think that once you have proven you will ride and enjoy it there is value in buying a nicer bike. Don't feel bad on here I think that is a very nice bike!
rpromero

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanx for the positive support. You're right though, Once I proved to myself that I would hang in there (even in the heat and humidity of Middle TN), I thought a tougher, beefier bike would be appropriate. I'm still gonna keep the XR-Pro in good running condition for when I want a softer FS ride (LOL)

As a side note, while shopping and comparing spec's and prices, I am still amazed at how close (in specs and components) some $150-$200 BBBs are to $600-$1000 LBS bikes.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:43 pm

I am not at all sure that a Fuji doesn't qualify as a Big Box Bike, actually. REI sells them, after all. :D

Nice bike too. Don't worry about it. Many of us also have Treks, Giants, Cannondales, etc. It's unusual to get a good deal on a new niche bike without going to a big box store... but what the heck. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby twall06 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:44 pm

I did the same thing and felt kind of bad for awhile but i wore my walmart bike out. Then I got a used giant talon then picked up a ss vassago jabberwocky over the winter. Still have the genesis but now just use it for rides with the kids at the greenway and use the others for trail rides. The first BBB really got me to learn how to tune a bike and take care of it but got to a point it was taking to much of a beating.
twall06

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:17 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:I am not at all sure that a Fuji doesn't qualify as a Big Box Bike, actually. REI sells them, after all. :D

Nice bike too. Don't worry about it. Many of us also have Treks, Giants, Cannondales, etc. It's unusual to get a good deal on a new niche bike without going to a big box store... but what the heck. :)

The line between BBB and LBS is becoming less defined everyday. I guess if you buy an Orbea at "Sun and Ski", then it's a BBB, if you purchase the same bike at an LBS, it's an LBS bike!! LOL
Further blurring the lines,,, companies like Dorel sports owns "Names" like Mongoose, Cannondale, GT, Roadmaster etc. etc.http://www.dorelsports.com/company/cycling-sports-group/
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:31 pm

I have been trying to tell everyone for a long time with a couple of threads I posted that Big Box Bikes are about all you get nowadays.There are a few frames that are still in house deals but they cost thousands.It is the componentry your buying and a paint job even with top line carbon fibre bikes and if you can turn a wrench then you can make your own.Most people are oblivious to Alibabas website but if you look hard enough you can see most model frame designs and the fact that many frames can be had for as little as 9 dollars when ordering large amounts.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Actually when you think about it the founders of this website had no idea that it was way ahead of its time and the next step of bike evolution will be identifying the Chinese frame number and componentry will be personal. :D
Purple Haze

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Rapid Rob tires suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least on the trails that I rideI!!

I would consider these trails loose over hardpack and the Rapid Robs wash-out in the front or the rear kicks out. They handle similar to the stock tires that came on my Mongoose. I tried lowering the air pressure to 25psi which helped slightly, but I got a pinch flat that same evening.

I have Geax AKA's on my XR-Pro, which I like pretty well (which surprised me) but I thought I'd try something different on the Fuji. The Geax Saguaro is supposed to be similar the the AKA but a little more aggressive, so I am considering them, also looking at the Maxxis Hioghroller 2,

I really want something that turns well, Any suggestions??
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby BoomerBrian » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Phil_RC_1 wrote:Rapid Rob tires suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least on the trails that I rideI!!

I would consider these trails loose over hardpack and the Rapid Robs wash-out in the front or the rear kicks out. They handle similar to the stock tires that came on my Mongoose. I tried lowering the air pressure to 25psi which helped slightly, but I got a pinch flat that same evening.

I have Geax AKA's on my XR-Pro, which I like pretty well (which surprised me) but I thought I'd try something different on the Fuji. The Geax Saguaro is supposed to be similar the the AKA but a little more aggressive, so I am considering them, also looking at the Maxxis Hioghroller 2,

I really want something that turns well, Any suggestions??

I have one bike with akas and the other with saguaros. The saguaros are more aggressive but still roll pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Next

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes