TRAITOR? I bought a Fuji Tahoe 27.5

The industry is coming out with new riding formats and 27.5 looks like a keeper. Here's where you talk it over with other riders.
Forum rules
Be polite! Try to stay on topic. :)

Re: TRAITOR? I bought a Fuji Tahoe 27.5

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 am

CST Rock Hawks and Maxxis tires are dern grippy, but Heavy

If weight is a consideration. There are lighter, foldable versions of these tires, but at low pressures, for the best grip, the heavy tires might be tougher/last longer
Tomcat65

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Well, I replaced my OE Rapid Robs (Which were not good!) with some WTB Wolverine "Race" edition that I found cheap on ebay. The "Race" edition is a light weight, thin side wall, single compound tire meant to be run with a tube. Not sure if it is really a desired tire for actual racing (LOL) even though it is the "RACE" edition. Anyway, I like the robustness of running heavy duty tubes with slime and I'm not a racer so I don't care if this setup is a little heavy, it won't leave me stranded out on a trail (Unless it's a super massive hit (LOL)) With that said, I may have to try a heavier tire next time like those CST Rock Hawks or similar DH tire.

I had my doubts about the almost hybrid tread design, but I like the tire. It rolls free and holds the turns even with speed and a healthy lean angle. I feel like the outer knobs are long and narrow enough to cut through the loose debris and get a grip on the underlying hard base. I'm kinda new to mountain bikes but I've been riding motorcycles almost my whole life, so a tire that holds a good lean angle ranks high with me. I feel like these are probably a half-step above the Geax AKA that I have on my XR-Pro. So far so good.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Some pix. The bike really needed no performance upgrades except the tires. Changed those to Wolverines. I added a new 27* stem to helpit fit me better, the rest of my additions are just bling. Since the bike was basic black with white lettering and accents, I went with that color scheme. I added white Ti pedals, white accented grips, XTR chainstay protector. The little saddle bags are awesome for holding my phone, small tool assortment and a flat repair kit. It also holds the battery pack for my Cree LED light for night riding.

162.JPG
162.JPG (154.23 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Bikez1.JPG
XR-Pro 29er, Fuji Tahoe 27.5
Bikez1.JPG (84.03 KiB) Viewed 476 times

One thing I noticed immediately compared to the XR 29er, was the bottom bracket clearance. Not only does it not clear a few obstacles that the XR did, I have to be careful timing my pedal strokes when I'm leaning in cornering. I'm not complaining really, it's just different.
BBangle.JPG
Bottom Bracket clearance compare
BBangle.JPG (101.97 KiB) Viewed 476 times

I like the Fuji. Compared to the XR, the Fuji is light, fast, QUIET, and responsive. I love that there are no squeaks, creaks, clicks, pops, rattles etc. etc. (LOL)

It's so quiet I was sneaking up on, and startling an occasional skunk on my trails (LOL) so I added a U.S. Navy biker bell just to make a little noise to let the wildlife hear that I am coming.
Last edited by Phil_RC_1 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:12 pm

The Wolverines and AKA's have a similar tread pattern. The Wolverines obviously have wider spaced knobs and are a little more aggressive looking, but the similar characteristics is that they both provide good feedback and don't just break loose. In fact, I have got them to drift a bit but they never just let-go completely like some tires do.
AKAvsWOLV.JPG
AKA v.s. Wolverine
AKAvsWOLV.JPG (139.51 KiB) Viewed 473 times

My U.S. Navy Biker bell. So that I don't sneak up on and startle the wildlife (Skunks)

165.JPG
Bell
165.JPG (115.95 KiB) Viewed 473 times
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby RT4x4 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Nice bikes! Yeah I had the same problem when I rented a Trek 27.5. There where a lot of obstacle I wasn't able to clear and pedals strikes I counted 13. I figured it was a learning curve going from a 29 to 27.5. None the less I started looking into BB clearance and Giant came in at 13.7 if my memory is correct so I bought a Trance 2. Either way I love my 27.5 very playful and fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
RT4x4

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:39 am

If you live in the Nashville area, or are within reasonable driving distance...
Phil has this bike on Craig'slist
https://clarksville.craigslist.org/bik/5792831201.html
It's a real deal at the asking price. It has most of the things anyone would want on a 27.5
Tomcat65

Postby metalman302 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:05 pm

What's supposed to be better about the tapered head tube?
metalman302

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:29 pm

A tapered head tube puts a larger bearing at the fork crown. This spreads the load a little wider and reduces the leverage against the head tube. But the biggest advantage I see, it allows a much larger steerer tube connection at the fork crown.
From what I've seen, failures occur at the crown to steerer tube connection just as often as head tube welds fail. The steerer tube is often just a press fit on a suspension fork. Spreading the load over a larger area reduces stress and in some cases, is enough to make aluminum parts as strong as steel in smaller dimensions. That would make some aluminum alloy parts bigger, but still lighter, and just as strong in the specific application.

And it's the next new latest and greatest thing for flip's sakes! All of the cool kids on the other forums say the tapered head tube is better! :P

Here's a chart that shows different 1 1/8 steerer tube tapers:
http://www.jensonusa.com/c/images/tech-library/CK_44.jpg
Tomcat65

Previous

Return to 27.5-inch Mountain Bikes