Thruster 24 inch Dirt Jumper/BMX bike NEW at walmart

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Thruster 24 inch Dirt Jumper/BMX bike NEW at walmart

Postby Bigdaddymj » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:17 am

Hey BMXers...

I am new to this site, and just posted in the 26inch MTB forum. There is a new dirt jumper/bmx bike at walmart, that has no user reviews yet, but I had to buy it anyways. It was only $130 with 97 cent shipping and it even comes with disc brakes, so I ordered it online last night. I have a more detailed thread about it that I posted in the MTB forum about me and my reasoning for taking a chnace on an unknown product, and dont want to totally spam the same post, but I wanted to say whats up to all of you, and let the bmx crew know about this new bike. Going by the reviewst the inexpesive Thruster FIXIE is getting, I hope this is going to be halfway decent.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Thruster-F ... e/20658910

Mike
a.k.a MJ

UPDATE:

I got the bike shipped yesterday. When I opened the box, it was far smaller than I had hoped for. I knew it would be compact, but I had thought the frame would be a bit longer, and I realized I would look like a clown on this bike. I returned it to my local walmart today, and got the Thruster FIXIE bike instead.

one day when I got some cash, I will still pick up a 26 or 29 inch bmx/dirt jumper, just not this time.
Bigdaddymj

Re: Thruster 24 inch Dirt Jumper/BMX bike NEW at walmart

Postby blammo585 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm

It seems like a disc brake on a dirt jumping bike would not be that good of an idea. I rode BMX Freestyle for about 12 years, and I wrecked plenty of times trying to learn new stuff. It just seems the rotor would be in a position to get bent up.

I got into riding my mountain bike a few months ago, and I was surprised to see guys jumping on 26"s. I've just always thought of 20"s to be "freestyle" or jumping bikes. If I were going to ride ramps or jump dirt jumps it would still be on my 20". They're just so much easier to maneuver and throw around.
blammo585

Postby jayslay3250 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:55 am

So is the Thruster DJ24 a decent bike or not? I'm looking into getting this bike for myself but I'm not 100% sure if I should or not. You said that it was much smaller than you thought but I'm curious as to how tall or big you are?
jayslay3250

Postby Techman XR-PRO » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 pm

The best way I could see how small a 24" bike is I went to walmart and sat on a few 24" bikes. I'm 6'2" and they where cramped. But it could have been that I am use to riding a 29er. I woul recommend this bike for someone 5'7" and under just on the fact that it is a 24" bike. I could be wrong though and this could be a bit bigger than the other bikes I sat on. Just remember you can always return it and get a full refund if you are unsatisfied with it.
Upgrades: Sram 306 hubs, Wtb FX23 Wheelset, Race Face X Type Crankset w/BB, Sram Cassette, Race Face Atlas Handlebars, Hope Space Doctor Headset Spacers, CLARK grips, 6.5 Fox Float RL rear shock & Raidon Rear shock, 2012 Race Face Evolve Stem
Techman XR-PRO

Postby junkyarddog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 pm

I would say if possible go to a walmart that has one and check it out....... thats how I made my decision on what bike to get.... i was there for like an hour checking out different bikes in the price range I was looking at
89 specialized rockhopper- SS BMX hybrid
97 specialized rockhopper-7 speed mild trail bike
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:16 pm

If you're over 5'4" & considering a BMX bike as an adult, you need to quit the crack or...no, quick the Crack! :)
desertguns

Postby ChiliPepper » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:49 pm

desertguns wrote:If you're over 5'4" & considering a BMX bike as an adult, you need to quit the crack or...no, quick the Crack! :)

Really :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: I know this is an older thread and chances are slim that you are still around, but I sure would like to know where you get your assumption quoted above... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just too funny... :?

There are many 5'4" plus (some well over 6') riders out there shredding it up on 20" and 24" bikes. Therefore, I do not understand your assumption here. I have been shredding and racing bikes since the 70's and have seen many 6' riders shredding 20" alone, and many adults as well. I personally grew up on 20", and then bumped up to 26" for many years (still shredding 26'ers) and also shred the heck out 24" DJ'ers and Cruisers, and I am 6' tall. ;)
ChiliPepper

Return to BMX Bikes