Schwinn Sting Pro

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Schwinn Sting Pro

Postby Falkon45 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Well, got some new wheels. Skyway Tuff wheel IIs. White, 3/8 front 14mm rear and 9 tooth cog on the back. Was so happy those showed up. A little on the heavy side, but will withstand the aabuse that a 9 year old can throw at it. And got some black ops pedals to replace the "pink" ones. Might use them for aanother build, or just sell em. Not sure. Now down to seat, seat post, clamp, bottom bracket, cranks, brake, and tires. Then powder coat, and assembly. Not a long way to go, but my components have weighed the bike down a lot. But a built from the ground up bike for my kid should make him happy.
Falkon45

Schwinn Sting Pro

Postby BoomerBrian » Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I love Tuff II. Can't wait to see pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoomerBrian

Postby Falkon45 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:15 am

Well Blammo, you were right about the rear dropouts. This kinda sucks. Everything I've read on the frame says the rear dropouts are 14mm. But, the axle on the rear wheel doesn't fit. Well, this sucks. So, now to find a new rear wheel. I'll remember to take measurements, next time. Lol.

Other than that, here's a pic of the wheels. Paired up with the frame and fork, it should come out pretty good. Then powdercoating the fork red, and the frame white and blue I should be done with the color scheme.
130508_0000.jpg

130508_0001.jpg
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm sorry that I was right? LOL. When I saw the picture I just thought it didn't look 14mm; 14mm slots will usually jump out at you when you see them because there's so much space. But I couldn't be definitive about it because I figured it was the angle the picture was taken. But even more than looking at the dropouts I thought it was really strange that it had a Euro bottom bracket and 14mm dropouts. I thought that made an odd combination and the fact that the frame appeared to be a racing frame.

I like Skyway Tuff II's. I didn't know that mags were being made with 14mm axles and small cogs now. I liked the looks of mags when I first got into riding around 13 or 14 but I learned the drawbacks of mags reading my bike magazines...weight, flex like crazy, and brakes don't work as well on them as they do on rims. But for just riding around I still think they look pretty cool. I used to grab an old bike with mags on it when I used to try stuff that I thought might destroy my rims if I didn't land it right. With mags, they were either going to break or stay straight, not really any in-between.

Skyway used to run an ad in the magazines stating that Tuff II's were "unbreakable" and said they would replace them if you managed to break one. I saw Eddie Roman who was a pro rider for Skyway on tour and saw him break a Tuff II, and years later I ended up breaking one too on a 360 landing that didn't land just quite right. I wasn't too upset about it; I was stoked that I was so hardcore I had broken an "unbreakable" wheel, LOL.

I have heard of people grinding their dropout slots so they could use a 14mm axle instead of 3/8". That might be an option instead of spending money on another wheel. Only thing is other people make things sound so easy and then when I try something like that I have to grind for hours and it looks like crap by the time I'm done.
blammo585

Postby Falkon45 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:28 am

Lol! Wow, you broke one?!?! That's pretty awesome! Yeah, I got the mags to reduce having to get the wheels trued a lot. And, they look cool. I was thinking about grinding the dropouts, but being aluminum, I don't want to chance it. I think I found just a rear wheel with the same setup, before. I just gotta look again. But, I'm still trying to figure out what happened. Everything I've researched about the frame says 14mm rear dropout. Even the builds I've seen some guys do had 14mm rears. So what went wrong? Did I get some kind of defect or special version, or did I just get an unmodified frame.

I've seen crap like this happen in cars before, but not so much anything else.
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Lol! Wow, you broke one?!?! That's pretty awesome! Yeah, I got the mags to reduce having to get the wheels trued a lot. And, they look cool. I was thinking about grinding the dropouts, but being aluminum, I don't want to chance it. I think I found just a rear wheel with the same setup, before. I just gotta look again. But, I'm still trying to figure out what happened. Everything I've researched about the frame says 14mm rear dropout. Even the builds I've seen some guys do had 14mm rears. So what went wrong? Did I get some kind of defect or special version, or did I just get an unmodified frame.

I've seen crap like this happen in cars before, but not so much anything else.

Yep, I broke one. If I remember correctly I landed back wheel first on a 360, and it just snapped. I also didn't finish my rotation on a 360 and landed in a 270 so all the momentum wanted to keep going one way and the ground basically pushed the other way and I snapped a GT mag on the front.

Do you know what model your Schwinn is? Possible that the builds you saw maybe they modified their dropouts to take a 14mm. I don't think it would hurt the frame to grind them out even being aluminum. Just take it off from the top and bottom of the slot instead off all from one or the other.
blammo585

Postby Falkon45 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Ahhh... I see what I did. I got everything backwards. (I seem to be doing that a lot lately). The FRONT dropouts are supposed to be 14mm. Damn. I read over this very article 3 times before I got the wheels.

http://www.genesbmx.com/schwinn-05-06-sting.html

Well, looks like I'm kinda stuck with these wheels. Not a bad thing, but I don't really have a plan on building another BMX anytime soon. I have to get the fork back from my shop, and test the front wheel to confirm the front axel size. If it's completely backwards, them I'm buying another set of wheelset and either selling the tuff IIs or sitting on these till I get another frame.

God, I hate getting rid of parts. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Yeah, I looked at your link and it looks like the fork is 14mm and the frame is 3/8". I find that odd that they did that though. You can look wheelsets over and over and you won't find a 14mm front wheel with a 3/8" rear wheel. You can find plenty vice versa. It forces you buy your front and rear wheels separate.
blammo585

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Well, the guy sells them separately, but I think I'll just go with different wheels entirely. Plans are all dicked up with this bike. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Don't feel too bad; I went through this with my Haro 24". I went through 3 crank spindles and 3 bottom brackets to find one that fits. When it comes time for you to get a bottom bracket, go with the Redline that I showed you. I got a Mission BB made by Kink that would not allow the 19mm spindle to slide through even though it was supposed to work. Then Mission sent me another BB saying that my measurements I gave them on the I.D. of the bearings sounded "out of whack" but the one they sent me was no better. A lot of other brands are made just like the Mission BB so I wonder if they will work? The Redline is made a little different, and it worked so that's what I'd go with if you get the kind of cranks you were looking at earlier.
blammo585

PreviousNext

Return to BMX Bikes