Schwinn Sting Pro

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Schwinn Sting Pro

Postby Falkon45 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks blammo! Will do. I was looking at another BB that was color matched, but now that you told me that, I'll just pick up the units you told me about. I'm not trying to own a bunch of bmx parts that won't have a home. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Well, wouldn't you know it... my fork seems to be 3/8ths as well. Now, things are weird with this bike. It had the black blackops fork (no one ever really found it with the chrome fork). So, as far as I know, it's the original components. Looks like I'm just gonna get the dropouts ground out for 14mm on the rear, and keep the skyways.

Good thing is, this allows me to continue on with the bike. Almost bought a set of cranks, but the guy wouldn't make a good deal on the BB conversion kit, so I backed out (ebay sellers). This works out ,though. The cranks were 175mm. Methinks a little too long for my kid. Guess I'm gonna have to break the bank and pay the 160 for some 165mm sinz units, and buy a different chainring (4 point spider, vs single point bolt). Danmit, this is getting annoying.
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm

How tall is your son? I went through this debate with myself with my son's but in the end I just put my mountain bike cranks on that are 175. But he.
is 5'4" so probably it is OK anyway.
blammo585

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, my son is 9, and about 4'8". Nott sure how to go about sizing the crank for him. Just sucks, because I don't want to have to buy another chainring. Unfortunately, sticking to red white and blue makes finding cranks hard. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Falkon45 wrote:Well, my son is 9, and about 4'8". Nott sure how to go about sizing the crank for him. Just sucks, because I don't want to have to buy another chainring. Unfortunately, sticking to red white and blue makes finding cranks hard. Lol.

Last year near the end of May I was going to get my son a mountain bike for his birthday on June 4. He was 4'11" so I was torn between a 24" and an XS 26". I bought a 24" XR-75 but the more I thought about it I didn't want him outgrowing it quickly and everyone on mtbr when this question was asked about 24 vs. 26 for kids were saying go with a 26. So I took it back and got a Small GT Agressor for $300. A year to date he is now 5'4", and I am glad I went with a 26" and I'm glad I went with the small vs. the x-small.

If I remember correctly you said you were just building this bike for your son to cruise around on and not actually race. The frame is a Pro XL size so I wouldn't worry that much about the crank size since the frame its self is even too big right now unless you don't mind changing the cranks down the road. I'd just get some 175's and put on it. Some 9 and 10 year old kids used to ride BMX freestyle with me years ago and their bikes all had 175's on them and they were fine with them. If you want a guide to go by though you can use this, http://www.danscomp.com/serve/products% ... kchart.htm.
blammo585

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Awesome! Thanks Blammo! Yeah, I was a little worried about the actual frame size, but decided I could make up for that a little by adjusting the handlebar angle. Basically, I'm handing it to him, until he decides he doesn't want it anymore (as with most kids), then I'm taking it back, and giving him either the 24" beater (hopefully with a few upgrades), or one of my 26" if he wants to continue riding.

Either way, it's just something cool for him to ride on. If he wasn't so strict about his colors, i'd be done already. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Just picked up This:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SR ... UTF8&psc=1

and this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040L ... UTF8&psc=1

Now it's down to seatpost and clamp, saddle, and brake/cable/lever. Then pick out the color scheme for the frame, so there isn't too much of one color.

Want to have it done, soon, so the kid can cruise his new neighborhood in style. lol
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Hey blammo! Need some advice. I got the eastern BB and the cranks in. Now I have a problem. I have no idea how to install this thing. It came with 3 washers and 2 spacer things. Seening as how you have more experience, I was wondering if you could help me out.
Falkon45

Postby blammo585 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Sorry I hadn't been on here for a while. I've gotten back into messing with my computers so I've been looking at computer stuff, not bike stuff, every night on the 'net.

Maybe you've gotten it installed by now, but here you go as best I can explain/remember. I read a bunch of stuff and watched YouTube videos on how to determine the spacers needed for the inside of the BB shell. Then when it came time to do it I picked up one of the included spacers and it "just worked", easy as pie. Hold the bearings flush against the frame as if they were installed and see which spacer is going to work for the inside of the BB shell. I guarantee one of those long spacers is going to work by its self without the need of any additional smaller spacers. After you've determined that thread in one of the bearings. Put your spindle through the bearing hole and then put the spacer that you determined will work over the spindle. Next slide the other bearing over the spindle and thread it in. Then it's just about getting the spindle with an equal amount sticking out on each side; you can tap it lightly as needed. I think what I ended up with was using one thin spacer on the drive side along with the sprocket and the sprocket's adapter. Then I added whatever amount of spacers I needed on the non-drive side. When I slid the arms on I wanted a very small amount of the arm "off" the spindle to make sure when I threaded in the bolt that I was pushing and tightening the arm on. When I tried it with the arm and the spindle flush it seemed like I had a small amount of play. I hope I explained that OK. I'm not the best bike mechanic in the world, but it's really not that hard even if my instructions aren't that clear. If you still need help or need me to take pictures or try to explain something better, just ask.

Edit: After re-reading my post I thought I'd clarify something. When I said get an equal amount of spindle on each side I meant that as a starting point. You might find that due to spacers and chain alignment that you might have to shift the spindle more to one side or the other a little to get things to work. As long as the arms go on flush (or barely flush as I explained) then you're good.
blammo585

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Awesome! Thanks Blammo! I watched one video, and it kind of explained it, but I didn't know what some of the other pieces were. Attemped to post a pic, but my phone was acting weird. I'll post one later on.
Falkon45

PreviousNext

Return to BMX Bikes