Recommendations for BBB BMX Racer

Issues about BMX type bikes
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Recommendations for BBB BMX Racer

Postby garybbentley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm

So, I just went to the local BMX track and think that this sport with be what I need to scratch my motocross itch. I want to get into this as cheap as possible considering I am only gonna ride at this one track on days I'm not working and have nothing else to do, maybe a couple days a month. Are there any walmart, kmart, or target bikes you guys would recommend. Im thinking $100 or less.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Re: Recommendations for BBB BMX Racer

Postby blammo585 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 pm

That budget will be very tough. I admit that I am a hypocrite when it comes to BBB BMX bikes. I just haven't seen many that I think would hold up, especially at the $100 mark. I suggest looking on craigslist; I was looking today and saw several "bike shop bikes" in my area in your price range that would beat the pants off any BBB I've seen. Or do what I did and get you a cheap frame off ebay and then as you come into some money buy yourself some parts. It just takes a little longer that way, but I think craigslist is your best bet. If you go the BBB route, get a bike with a clamp-on stem and 1 1/8" headset/fork. The problem is finding a BBB BMX like this, and you won't find it at $100. I just hate the 1" threaded headsets/quill stems on most BBB BMX's; the ones I've had in the past all have a problem with headsets coming loose and stems turning sideways due to pressure (wrecks, hard landings).

But I'm glad to hear you want to get into BMX. I just participated in my first race since I was 14 this past Friday night; I'm 38 now. I hadn't been on the track since '98 or '99 when I used to go on practice nights. I'm assuming since you are looking at BBB's that you want to race 20", but have you thought about racing cruiser class? How tall are you? If you're going to race 20" your height is another thing to consider; a BBB frame will probably be too short for you. Most BBB 20"s are of the dirt jump/ramp/street variety and not really for BMX racing; you can tell this from the small gearing that they are putting on them now (25 tooth on the front and 9 tooth cog on the back).
blammo585

Postby blammo585 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 am

Take a look at the DK General Lee or DK Cincinnati at Walmart's site if you're set on the BBB route. Especially check out the 24" General Lee if you want to race cruiser.
blammo585

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:58 am

thanks a lot man.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
garybbentley

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 am

blammo585 wrote:But I'm glad to hear you want to get into BMX. I just participated in my first race since I was 14 this past Friday night; I'm 38 now. I hadn't been on the track since '98 or '99 when I used to go on practice nights.

A BMX track locally is a real asset whether you plan to race BMX or not. Just using the bumps to learn how to pump your way around them is worth the effort. So many things you can learn on a BMX track that will help you on a mountain bike. Banked turns, conservation of energy, pumping the bumps, managing jumps and landing, the list just goes on and on...

I have a BMX track just 12 blocks from my house and I ride it once a week when the weather is nice. And I often go watch the young - talented - riders just to see how they handle themselves and their bikes.

Actually, I think I'll do a little write-up in "technique" about using a BMX track to hone your MTB skillset. :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby blammo585 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Gary, keep us posted on what you decide to get. I'm really interested when it comes to what people ride for BMX. What is your age?
blammo585

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:45 pm

29, be thirty in July. I raced motocross until April of 2012. I fractured five vertebrae that february and then finally quit in April because I couldnt seem to heal and continue to ride. For a couple months I've been riding some singletrack MTB trails locally but got the itch for some competition and air.
garybbentley

Postby garybbentley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 pm

and im leaning towards the DK General, I def need a cruiser Im 6'3" 220lbs. Just sucks I cant ride the beginner class with a cruiser. Ill have to do 30+ Intermediate I guess
garybbentley

Postby blammo585 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm

I know what you mean about riding. A friend of mine races cruiser and told me to get a cruiser and race with him. So I built me up one. I didn't think about the cruiser classification until the bike shop owner reminded me of it the other week; there is no novice, intermediate, expert cruiser classes. They're all lumped in together regardless of skill level. So what happens is you get thrown in with guys that have raced all their life. I don't think 20"s are much different though, at least during local races. When I went to the track Friday night the bike shop owner whose shop I go to was there racing his 20"; he is a novice but he got thrown into the Expert class due to lack of participants in his own class. So really he and I didn't have it that much different that night. He just had 6 people to compete against, and I only had 2. You'd probably have better luck of racing people of your own skill on a 20" at the bigger races like state races or nationals. The bike shop owner wants me to race my 20" with him but every time I get back on my 20" it just doesn't feel right. I don't know if it's the long layoff of riding a 20" on a consistent basis or the fact that I've been riding this large 29" MTB. I never had a problem 13 or 14 years ago when I rode a 20" all the time, and I was 6'0" then so maybe I could get used to it again but it just doesn't seem like it.

At 6'3" maybe you should check out that new Mongoose Dirt Jumper 26" that was linked to in the 26" section here. It's $150 and it looks pretty nice. More and more people are making the switch to a 26" cruiser on the track.
blammo585

Postby hexen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:23 am

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DK-Xenia-26-BMX-Bike/17012261

A 26" BMX cruiser I keep trying to convince myself I don't need =P

Just another option to look at and they actually get decent reviews from a few different forums.
hexen

Next

Return to BMX Bikes